Z3 roadster 1.9

engine oil change

Post by rubytuesday »

hi any tips on changing the engine oil please ...easy job?? cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: engine oil change

Post by Del »

The traditional way is to drain from the sump underneath which involves jacking up the car. Many prefer this as they feel it ensures getting any sump-bottom sludge out. The Z3 oil filters are easily reached from the engine bay.

Personally, I use a PELA vacuum pump and change the oil quickly after a good “hotting-up and mixing” run (essential for this method) – see attached - which means I can do the job very quickly and easily, virtually in my best suit and barely getting my hands dirty. My oil stays clean for a while afterwards and so I have seen no evidence of dirty sump bottom sludge remaining in the oil. It’s so easy you’re inclined to do it more often. :lol:

You will get a range of views on this topic - take your pick which best suits you.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/pel ... tAodz0cAsg
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Del wrote:The traditional way is to drain from the sump underneath which involves jacking up the car. Many prefer this as they feel it ensures getting any sump-bottom sludge out. The Z3 oil filters are easily reached from the engine bay.

Personally, I use a PELA vacuum pump and change the oil quickly after a good “hotting-up and mixing” run (essential for this method) – see attached - which means I can do the job very quickly and easily, virtually in my best suit and barely getting my hands dirty. My oil stays clean for a while afterwards and so I have seen no evidence of dirty sump bottom sludge remaining in the oil. It’s so easy you’re inclined to do it more often. :lol:

You will get a range of views on this topic - take your pick which best suits you.

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/pel ... tAodz0cAsg
very good idea.

The 'BEAST' 666
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Did mine recently & very easy(my first time !!!)
Went for drive to warm it up & then parked with front wheels on old floorboards about 1 inch thick to give enough clearance for bowl to collect oil(not much room under car).Jacked up drivers side to get to drain plug for easier removal & then lowered down whilst oil drained.

Filter is a doddle provided you have correct socket which I believe is 44mm & filter with all 3 O rings bought from main dealer for about twelve pounds.
Thought I would replace the 2 small O rings as did not know history of when done if ever & reading articles on this forum suggested it was a good idea.

Oil bought from Opie oils so all in all it was a fairly cheap & easy experience

Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I use a Pela vacuum pump alternate years and in the intervening years pay my local garage £20 to change oil at MoT time.I supply materials.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
rubytuesday

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by rubytuesday »

thanks,for that sounds good idea :)
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

see southern boys post towards the bottom of this thread - http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=37065
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Del wrote:The traditional way is to drain from the sump underneath which involves jacking up the car.
i personally will not get under my car on a jack. if it falls the gap between car floor and ground is smaller than my head :shake:

I do mine on ramps, draining from the sump plug (needs the correct square socket thingy).

filter - you can get oil filter removing tools, or you can jam a screwdriver through it and turn :D

to collect the oil - i used a cheap disposable turkey roasting tin, squashed the end a bit to form a funnel to pour it into a tub (i used a milk bottle for the old oil as i like to keep whats left of the new oil in its tub).

I am a cheapskate, the fewer things to purchase the better :D
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Also - first time i did it i removed the entire sump guard (plastic cover under the engine bay). and then discovered afterwards that there is a handy flap that can be removed to access the sump.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

i personally will not get under my car on a jack. if it falls the gap between car floor and ground is smaller than my head :shake:

Thanks for making my oil change 4 times as difficult. I didn't think of that. :shock:
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

haha, sorry.

To save buying ramps you could get axle stands, mine were £16 from motor world, or put something suitably sturdy under the sill when its on the jack (i use the wheel if i'm doing something involving removing a wheel.

or theres always this:

might not drain too well though :roll:
Image Image
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ramps...for me....But a jack and axle stands are useful.....as the picture above suggests... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I use a trolley jack, but fit a large piece of wood intothe frame, and lower the jack onto it, so that if the hydraulic seal fails it will not move.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!