Why are things never straight forward ??? !!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Why are things never straight forward ??? !!!

Post by kingy1 »

Hello, due to my central exhaust silencer beginning to rattle i decided to change it today. After ordering a standard exhaust, nothing fancy from my local well used reliable motor factors. everything went well on removal.
The problem arose when trying to fit the new one, for some reason the exhaust pipe although made for my 1.9 M44 was not compressed after the first box, and therefore caught on the main chassis/strut not allowing me to push upwards high enough to fasten them together. The motor factors said i had to warm the pipe up and sqeeze in a vice!!
Surely this is not the case, has anyone else ever experienced this problem?
Whats the point in exhaust manufacturers making exhaust pipes for a specific car and then you have to warm and hammer to fit??
Or have i got to dig deep and buy BMW? :head: :head:
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Why are things never straight forward ??? !!!

Post by geordie90 »

kingy strangely i have just sold an original bmw 1.9 exhaust, uesd, and it had a flattened area between the back box and silencer so theres ur answer, it should be there after all
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Thanks geordie, yes the one that I removed and have now had to refit also had the area flattened ( original exhaust ), but I wondered if all replacements were the same, and that they needed 'squeezing' to fit, or that it was just my luck that I got a brand that needed doctoring.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Kingy1

Flattening the pipe is a short term solution IMO, I changed the rear section on my 1.9 and had the very same problem. I "flattened" the area to allow clearance and all was well for a while, but it eventually cracked at the flattened bit. I still had my old OEM exhaust that had been lying around so I popped that back on.

If possible return it and get one that has the small flattened area. My aftermarket one was from Eurocarparts.
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

some spurios exhausts are better than others .yours will be prolly the cheapest available take it back and ask them to change it for one that fits don't take any excuses if they say they cant get any different get your money back and shop elsewhere .iv been in the motor trade for 30 years and have come across similar situations many times
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mine doesn't have the flattened bit, but still fits. The exhaust hanger that bolts to the rear subframe (ie, the first hanger behind the joint) can be adjusted up and down to allow a little more clearance.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Suggest you try GSF – their sketch of the rear (M44) section looks just like the OE and is about 50% the cost of OE. I use Euro Car Parts (their internet arm) a lot, but occasionally for some items find GSF sell better quality after-market parts.
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Thanks fellas for the advice, I've taken the exhaust back, and got a full refund, I suppose you pay for what you get. ( £140 ), prob my nativity but just can't get my head around that they are making exhausts for our cars that don't fit!!
What's the point I may as well buy for a bloody metro !!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

It's a known problem and guys on this forum have flattened the area that fouls with a hammer.I'm with you, refund is the best option.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

kmspartsonline are advertising an OE exhaust for £169 on eBay, 2 available.The guy has close to 100% positive feedback.Looks a bargain.
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Well eventually, ( hurrah ) ive had some success in purchasing my back exhaust box. went for the one that geminimustang kindly gave me the link too, £169 from kmspartsonline on ebay, it was an OE exhaust and had the required flat to allow easy fitting, ( see previous posts )!!! Anyway shes on and she sounds lovely. Cheers.

Now for my next job finding and changing a M44 OEM thermostat !!