boot rack

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
miller1098

blank

boot rack

Post by miller1098 »

Just read in another post about a boot rack allegedly fitted the wrong way around .Which way round is right?the logical way particularly on a very sloping boot is for the ridge at the bottom
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: boot rack

Post by TitanTim »

miller1098 wrote:Just read in another post about a boot rack allegedly fitted the wrong way around .Which way round is right?the logical way particularly on a very sloping boot is for the ridge at the bottom
It should be at the top of the boot, so if you did an emergency brake then your Gucci suitcase won't come through the rear screen and smack you on the back of the head :shock:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Nope, that's YOUR logical way. This has been debated before and even BMW have managed to show photos of the rack fitted both ways round! :lol:

Lip at front - prevents luggage from sliding forward during heavy braking - if the luggage is sufficiently heavy, may prevent decapitation of the occupants.

Lip at rear - prevents luggage from sliding backwards during hard acceleration - could prevent embarrassment of having to retrieve your smalls from the carriageway after your case falls off and spills its contents over the road.

I think having the lip at the front is most sensible, and you definitely need to fit the rack this way round if you wish to use it to carry skis.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I would fit it on the passenger side..... for roundabouts...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

ok you have your smalls on your bag,you have to fasten it to the rack with something isnt that what you should rely on to keep your head from being caved in or undies on the road http://www.classicbootracks.co.uk/gallery
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Could depend on which rack you have. I have the one made by Fapa for the Mazda MX5 and fit it with the luggage stop towards the rear because with it towards the front it touches the rear window when boot is fully open and I don't want to mark my nice new rear window.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Send the excess baggage ahead by courier...and scrap the boot rack idea. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrwhippy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrwhippy »

If there is a risk of the case becoming detached, why hasn't the rack got a lip on both edges :)

Risk of decapitation or killing the family of four travelling behind you - I think I'll give the rack a miss!
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

It's the same principle as a roof rack or bike rack it's only as safe as the idiot who puts it there
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

To save all this fuss just get a trailer :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

If you have the matching BMW Z3 suitcase (I have) the rack
MUST be fitted with the raised part furthest from the rear
of the car as the case locks to the rack and only in this position. :head:
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

Zedona wrote:If you have the matching BMW Z3 suitcase (I have) the rack
MUST be fitted with the raised part furthest from the rear
of the car as the case locks to the rack and only in this position. :head:
Of course you MUST have the matching BMW Z3 suitcase 8-)
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

Our 2.8 as far as I know had the factory fitted boot rack and its fitted this wayImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Sorry to disagree but I think it goes the other way round as when I have used mine with the Z3 case the base of the case has the cut out which fits around the raised bar and would mean that the handle is not easy to reach and unclip from the rack if facing rear window.
Before I used mine I did some research and there is also the point that the case is much more likely to experience a higher kinetic force(?) on it from braking than acceleration(even thou the 2.8 is fairly quick) and hence the lip will stop it flying forward.
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

This is what the instructions on mine say it was BMW fitted ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Gareth 161 wrote:I did some research and there is also the point that the case is much more likely to experience a higher kinetic force(?) on it from braking than acceleration
Or more to the point the case is much more likely to experience a higher kinetic force(?) from a crash, than acceleration.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Factory fitted? Not sure about that - I would have though it would be a dealer fit accessory. It is designed to be removable anyway, so I don't think that counts for much. It certainly has to go the other way around to fit the ski rack as with it that way round, the skis would be against the seats and sticking out about 6ft beyond the back of the car. As I said earlier, I have seen BMW's own photographs with it fitted both ways round, so even they can't decide, but if I were fitting it myself, I'd have the lip at the front as the load will be much higher due to a sudden stop than it ever will be during acceleration.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

Ok the bases of the rack a need rechrome so when i take it off do i change from its origional position and turn it ,we never use it os the wifes undies are in no danger of hitting me in the head
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

miller1098 wrote:Ok the bases of the rack a need rechrome so when i take it off do i change from its origional position and turn it ,we never use it so the wifes undies are in no danger of hitting me in the head
Well.... not if you are wearing them..... :wink:

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... :roflmao: That's really BAD !!!
"Normal is overrated"

miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

I'd like to reply that I'm always in my wife's undies , sadly that's not the case :?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I think that if you cannot secure your luggage to the rack properly then you deserve to get a case on the back of the nut!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you pack sensibly you don't need a rack, and have the bonus of uninterrupted rear vision.

This is just some of what can be squeezed into a Z3 for a six-week camping trip . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Did you have the BH sitting on the bonnet!! :D that's a pile of stuff you squeezed in...
"Normal is overrated"

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

And that's not everything! See my bit in the Z3 Knowedgebase on Camping in a Z3. Even the front bumper can hold 7 individually-wrapped loo rolls . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Extra impact protection... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"