UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New rear window

Post by **Z3** »

Here's photos of my new rear window fitted in Exeter

Before...Image

After...

Hope that worked, first time at putting photos up!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New rear window

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Unfortunately the new window will have the same line worn across it after some use with the hood folded down - it is the rear seam on the roof which abrades it. The answer is to get a roof blanket of some kind made up, to prevent the window being creased, and to also protect it from the damage inflicted by the rear seam If it gets aany grit of debris caught in it, the seam will easily damage the window in a day.

Mine has a pocket with some foam pipe lagging inserted through it - in sections so it folds up for stowage.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I use the BMW blanket but could be better if it was larger so it went further over the roof however it does protect the screen but doesn't prevent rubbing of the hood fabric, this is why I prefer my Z4 so much more as its such a faff with these plastic screens, I'm slightly of the view of not bothering, let it get scratched and just replace it when required :?

Its worth say once a month giving it a good polish with some Greygate, even with a new screen as it helps to keep the screen pliable and soft so it folds much easier than left to go hard as it ages which increases the liklihood of it splitting.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Yh funny you should mention this only after the first day of putting roof down there is now a noticeable line in the rear window - sad as it looked nice all new! Not sure how practical the blanket idea is though? Albeit a good idea, do you carry it in the boot? Not sure how it would work?

On a side note can I also download movie clips via tap a talk?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

**Z3** wrote:Yh funny you should mention this only after the first day of putting roof down there is now a noticeable line in the rear window - sad as it looked nice all new! Not sure how practical the blanket idea is though? Albeit a good idea, do you carry it in the boot? Not sure how it would work?

On a side note can I also download movie clips via tap a talk?
Jon, the blanket helps stops the roof scratching the screen as it folds back onto it, if you look as the screen as it folds, depends if you have a manual roof like I have :lol: you can see how the screen folds in half across its width and the hood folds down ontop of it. The line you get across the centre of the screen is the fold line which is where you tend to get the worst abrasions or scratching. Like Mike has done in the pic above by using some pipe foam it helps to stop the screen creasing.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

Yh I've got the electric hood, I like the idea of the blanket, but I also like folding my roof back when I'm mid jorney if the sun comes out etc so not really practical from that point if view! Quite disappointed that its got a line so quickly :(
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My roof blanket is secured by a velcro strap at each side, which fits around the hood frame over the windows, so that after raising the roof from inside the car, by pulling off the velcro the blanket can be dragged inside the car for folding up and stowage.

I threw the tonneau away years ago, as it is purely cosmetic, and prevents rapid raising of the roof - fine in California, but not the UK. This permits the stowage of our fleeces and waterproof jackets between the folded hood and the storage compartment/roll over bars, which simply drop down when the roof is raised. They are completely safe at up to at least 130 mph.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
woodsta888

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by woodsta888 »

Hi,
#
Where in Exeter did you get that done? The other halfs Z needs doing.

Thanks in advance
S10OTY

M roadster S50

Post by S10OTY »

Hi,

Anyone here know anywhere good in south wales to get rear window done? if so what sort of pricing would I be looking at?

Regards

chris
gilesg

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gilesg »

Hello there
All very useful, thank you, as suspect at some point I will have to replace my rear window too, as much due to stitching going on the beading around it as the great smudge across the middle of it. That blanket thing is pretty nifty but would require a few hands on at auto roof, as I have, to make sure it didn't snag anywhere. Also, ditto, I like to put it up and down when the sun is out, which is a little more here in SA than in the UK. Which brings me to my next question: where to go to for hood and window work in Cape Town? Any pointers gratefully received.
Thanks
Giles

PS What is Greygate and can you get it in South Africa, I wonder?