Rear Springs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Rear Springs

Post by helmik »

Just replaced the rear springs on the car, 2.2 2002, as i thought the offside was broken as it sat slightly lower. I could get 2 fingers in the gap on the offside and 3/4 on the nearside.
So changed them today, bought from Eurocarparts and they are the ones they say are for the car. So after fitting and a short drive which all seemed fine, slightly better ride than normal in my opinion, i stood back for a look. The rear is a lot higher than it was, i can get 4 fingers in the offside gap but 5 in the nearside so its still not level and the car looks wrong.
I am wondering if it had lowered springs on when we got it, just had a breeze through gallery and cant decide. Pics are below, anyone had similar issues with the uneveness and anyone else changed the springs and can tell me whats wrong??
Does it look right in comparison to your Z??

Thanks

Mick

Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Re: Rear Springs

Post by Kornknarr »

It looks far too high. But the un-evenness is even more troubling. I'd drive it to someone who knows these cars, have it on a lift and try to see what's going on back there!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Mick,

The second image certainly does look high, cannot really tell on the first image. A member had the wrong springs supplied recently from a E36 (not Z3) and it looked similar to this. I am thinking they should settle a little with time but not sure they will settle too much.

Is your car a 2.2 sport model?

Brian
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Brian, yes, 2.2 sport. Ive had a good look around, nothing seems bent or out of line anywhere. That was on a ramp by the way with my mate who is an MOT tester, so no idea on the eneveness.
Forgot to say, when i swapped the springs i measured them against old for new and they are exactly the same length, top coils on the old ones are thinner than the new ones. Thats the only difference i could see.

Mick
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Mick,

The Sport model has M-Tech suspension which is slightly lower than standard. I am unable to see the spring part number on Realoem as they refer to a spring table which takes in to consideration the weight/spec of the vehicle.

The sport springs are 15mm lower than standard according to the BMW TIS manual.

helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

I think i have arrived at the same conclusions as you. Forgot about it being the sport when i bought the springs, i blame it on old age!! Oh well, off to refit the originals then. At lest i have now copaslipped the wheels so they should come off easily!!.
Any ideas on the uneveness side to side??
Also any idea where to buy suspension parts for it?

Thanks for the assistance,

Mick
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

helmik wrote:I think i have arrived at the same conclusions as you. Forgot about it being the sport when i bought the springs, i blame it on old age!! Oh well, off to refit the originals then. At lest i have now copaslipped the wheels so they should come off easily!!.
Any ideas on the uneveness side to side??
Also any idea where to buy suspension parts for it?

Thanks for the assistance,

Mick
How were your spring pads Mick? worn pads could result in an uneven stance. I use BMMINIPARTS for alot of parts, they are OEM at a fraction of the cost. Did you by any chance notice a small blue label on your original springs did you with a part number?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Mick,

As Brian mentioned you have probably fitted the standard springs as looking at your pics its probably sitting not far off how it should be for the standard springs, of course it looks odd with having the Mtech springs on the front. I'm unsure how easy the Mtech springs are to get hold of as the standard springs seem to be more commonly available,

This is mine standard Mtech suspension to give you an idea,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Brian, look like the original spring pads but i need to look deeper to try and find out the thickness of new ones and compare to the ones on there. There is a label but not blue, i took one off to do a search, its yellow and says in big black letters AF, almost like AA, the number is in 2 parts, 3353, next line 1095087. The shocks are sachs but with a small BMW badge next to the Sachs name. The numbers are unreadable.

Tim, having removed the new springs it now sits the same as yours. Amazing how the first time takes ages yet the second time of doing a job takes 1/10 of the time!!
Forgot to say, when i took the new springs off again i compared them to the originals. Not sure how i thought they were the same length, they are about 15/20mm longer than original.

As he sport has lower suspenders as standard, if i buy a kit from ebay with everything does that mean it wont go any lower? I ask as i dont want it lower.

thanks again for all the help,off for a look at Brians reccomended site,

mick
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Mick,

It is good that you have the part number for the spring 33351095087, this will have been superseded. Call your local BMW parts department tomorrow and ask for a quote for new springs :wink: they will find the new part number for you. If you cannot find the springs on BMMINIPARTS they have a useful feature that they will price any part for you. You enter the new part number and email address, they will forward a price to you usually the same day.

It is hard to say if an aftermarket kit will lower as I am unsure what they base the ride height on - Standard or M-Tech. I went down that route once with SPAX kit and it ended up too low.
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Brian H wrote: It is hard to say if an aftermarket kit will lower as I am unsure what they base the ride height on - Standard or M-Tech. I went down that route once with SPAX kit and it ended up too low.
Thats my fear now, i will maybe start a thread to see what ride height people have who have changed their suspension ended up with i think.
just used that part finder on BMMINI for the springs and the cruise control parts i am looking for so thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Mick.
mrwhippy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrwhippy »

Spring manufacturers usually quote lowering against standard springs. If you look at this Apex ad for example you'll see the note at the bottom "Cars factory fitted with M-tech suspension will lower 10-15mm less"

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m14b0s1056p34 ... _M_-_97_on
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Thanks for that link MrWhippy, appreciated. Its good to know they quote against standard, gives me a better idea of where the car will end up. To be honest that Apex kit still drops the car by a further 20mm and i dont want to go any lower so its looking like i will need to find standard for the sport springs.

Cheers

Mick
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

IF YOUR CAR ISNT TOUCHING THE FLOOR......

...YOU
ARE
TOO
HIGH!!

...this is all :) :) :)
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

My old E36 used to sit uneven on the rear and it was pretty common across all E36's, I first thought it was a broken spring but it wasn't. It was the passenger side that sat slightly higher, to compensate for the weight of the driver when the got it, although this was only for the European market with LHD. Meaning RHD cars still sat higher on the passenger side as they never changed it over to compensate for a driver on a RHD vehicle.

I wonder if zeds are the same? Although I haven't noticed it on mine but it was quite noticeable on the E36, around 1cm difference from what I remember.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

The difference on mine is the thickness of a finger, so about 1cm. I have received the cruise control parts today and i also ordered a thicker spring pad to try and even things up. Wont be fitting it until probably after the weekend so i will update.

Wrong springs returned to Eurocarparts, small argument about whether or not their website is wrong when they tried to charge a restocking fee. They rolled over and agreed it was not my fault so a full refund was given. More than happy to recommend them again.

Mick.
Minifutzi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Minifutzi »

Hey Mick,

I have exactly the same problem and the same springs with part number 3353 1095087.
Could you solve the problem meanwhile? Did the springs cause the difference?

Fabian