Wheel alignment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Wheel alignment

Post by z3bedee »

Today I have replaced both control arms complete with ball joints, rear bushes and drop links. I have not bothered posting pics and a "how to" because there are so many excellent write ups on here and on YouTube that I didn't think it necessary.
First of all can I thank all those who have posted those write ups which enabled me to do the job with relatively little hassle.
I have used Meyle parts which are excellent quality and fitted perfectly.
Now for the real reason for this post.
I am aware that I will need to get the wheel alignment checked but before I have had that done I took the Z for a quick test drive.
Everything was fine until I went round a roundabout and although the surface was perfectly dry my ABS activated. It wasn't just the light flashing I could hear and feel the brakes applying. I wasn't going too fast and once the car was in a straight line it was fine.
Is it possible that the wheels being out of line could cause this.
Should I wait until the alignment has been done and see if this rectifies it or should I be looking at something else.
Has anyone else encountered a similar problem.
I know the alignment has been affected because the steering wheel is not dead centre when travelling in a straight line it is slightly to the left.
Finally can anyone recommend anywhere in the Leeds/Wakefield/Castleford area to get the alignment done properly.
Thanks in anticipation
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by RichP »

Cant help on the ABS issue im afraid. But i did my arms last month and got the alignment done at Halfords auto centre. When booked online this was the cheapest of the the big names (Kwikfit & ATS), and none of the independents around me did full laser alignment. Bit worried at first that it would be one of the 17yr old lads who fit windscreen wipers to pensioners cars for £5, but it wasn't :D

it was £29.

Personally i would get it done before you address the abs issue, as you will have to do it anyway, so you may as well do it and find out!

Hope it works out well (and cheap).
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

As RichP says I would get it done and see if your ABS problem is solved.
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I’d be fairly certain it’s a “tracking” adjustment issue. It’s quite common after fitting new steering related parts. If the tracking is “out” more than a bit, it will cause the wheels to rotate at slightly different speeds under certain conditions. The wheel sensors will pick up this out-of-tolerance difference and typically activate the ASC. :(
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I thought ASC only worked on the rear wheels?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

alec.m wrote:I thought ASC only worked on the rear wheels?
ASC (Automatic Stability Control) I believe works on all four wheels in that it can brake any wheel which is spinning at a different speed to the others (outside of normal turning of the wheels where the inner and outer wheels move at different speeds). It uses the same pump as the ABS to do this, which is of course connected to all four wheels/brakes.

ASC+T (+Traction) adds what amounts to an electronic limited slip diff - it can brake either of the rear wheels if one is spinning faster than the other to keep the back end under control - if that is ineffective then it can also back off the power to reduce the wheel spin further. It uses the same physical systems to do this, but of course is not compatible with an LSD, so it is not fitted to all models. It may even be as simple as a software coding switch that turns this on and off, as I don't think any extra hardware is required, though it could be a different controller board.

DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) is newer and has inertial sensors as well. This was fitted to the later zeds.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

From the horses mouth with a link on the page to DSC. I`m sure there`ll be variations over the life of production/models though.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/tech ... ntrol.html

I`m no expert though, cheers Alec
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Whether my car has ABS, ASC or DSC its just nice to know that it works even if it is for the wrong reasons :)
Its booked in for 4 wheel laser alignment tomorrow so hopefully it will be problem solved. I will keep you posted
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Had the wheel alignment done today. Wow the difference is unbelievable its now the ultimate driving machine that it always should have been and no problems with the ABS, ASC DSC activating.
I ended up taking it to Halfords in Castleford mainly because I didn't want to drive too far and because they were the cheapest.
It was a really nice guy who did it was called Michael and as the settings were quite a way off he has booked the car in for Free check next week when everything has settled.
The best thing is that I can now adopt my usual driving position of elbow on the door one hand on the steering wheel and the other elbow on the armrest with the other hand on the gear lever instead of a death grip with both hands on the wheel for fear of it shooting me off into the undergrowth everytime I hit a bump.
Thanks again for everyones input
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Great to hear all is sorted :-)
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Just a point of interest. As previously posted I had the wheel alignment done on my Zed last week. I watched the guy do it and he showed me all the settings when he had finished and everything was spot on. The car was totally transformed and drove like a dream.
He did say that because of all the work I had done on it and because it was quite a way out of alignment before he set it up that it would be advisable to let everything settle down and have it re checked which would be free of charge.
So I took it back to be re checked today and the settings were in fact out.
This time the alignment was done by a guy who is a fellow Zed owner and certainly knows what he is doing.
I thought the car was good before but now it is absolutely spot on.
The point being that you should always have the re alignment checked a short while after having it done in the first place because it can alter with very little driving.
Lastly for anyone living in this area I would highly recommend Richard at Castleford Halfords.
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

z3bedee wrote:Had the wheel alignment done today. Wow the difference is unbelievable its now the ultimate driving machine that it always should have been and no problems with the ABS, ASC DSC activating.
I ended up taking it to Halfords in Castleford mainly because I didn't want to drive too far and because they were the cheapest.
It was a really nice guy who did it was called Michael and as the settings were quite a way off he has booked the car in for Free check next week when everything has settled.
The best thing is that I can now adopt my usual driving position of elbow on the door one hand on the steering wheel and the other elbow on the armrest with the other hand on the gear lever instead of a death grip with both hands on the wheel for fear of it shooting me off into the undergrowth everytime I hit a bump.
Thanks again for everyones input
Do you know that driving with one hand on your gear lever causes wear in the box and it is also bad driving :nono
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

...not to mention that it will severely restrict the drivers ability to react to an emergency,

like the child running out from behind the parked for instance!

But that's not going to happen is it! More important to look cool!

Regards.
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

The driving position was a tongue in cheek comment to highlight how much improved the steering and handling of the car is sorry if it has offended any of you superior drivers :roll:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

z3bedee wrote:The driving position was a tongue in cheek comment to highlight how much improved the steering and handling of the car is sorry if it has offended any of you superior drivers :roll:

I drive mine how you describe z3bedee :wink:

I can steer with one hand and brake with my feet as usual :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage