Steering wheel question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
snurdf

blank

Steering wheel question

Post by snurdf »

Hi all, I got this,
Recovered by Royal Steering Wheels. Shame about the crappy phone pic, the quality is fantastic. I got it to replace this

It arrived this morning but I never had time to fit it, but I did have a search on the internet for how tos and that was when I began to wonder if I may have made a mistake. Could someone tell me if I have bought a twin or single air bag wheel and whether it'll be a straight swap as I'm useless with wiring.
Here's the air bag.
Hopefully, one of you guys might know at a glance. My car is a '96 but I couldn't tell you the year of the other. Thanks for looking.

Roy.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Steering wheel question

Post by Jonttt »

Your old style is definitely single stage. The new style can be both and I can't tell from the pics.

If its got 4 wires its single stage ie x2 airbag x2 horn

If its got 6 wires its dual stage.

A dual stage will physically fit but the problem is whichever circuit you wire in to your single stage system will mean the airbag will not deploy correctly.

If you have 6 wires you could try to source a single stage airbag for that style of wheel
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
snurdf

blank

Post by snurdf »

Cheers for that info mate, there are two for the horn and two for the air bag. That's a relief. I'm gonna have to start doing my research before I buy stuff instead of after. :oops:

Roy.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Looks really good - have they thickened it up a little too? I want to have that done on mine.
snurdf

blank

Post by snurdf »

Yeah, it thickened up, perforated sides, smooth top and bottom. I should have took some proper photos. The quality is superb, it's like a steering wheel in a brand new car.

Roy.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Will have to check these guys out, thanks Roy :D
snurdf

blank

Post by snurdf »

Well recommended, and such friendly people. service is super quick too.

Roy
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Having my wheel done by Royal is on my list - how much does it cost?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Your new airbag is a single stage bag...If it was a dual stage, you would have separate a multi connector...what the pic shows is a single stage connector which is the yellow plug. The brown wire goes to earth.
What is important is what is the system on the car at the moment... If it's a dual stage you have a small issue of sourcing a dual stage airbag to fit, if it's also got the same yellow connector, then no problem. The dual stage connectors are brown, and are a completely different fitting. It is significant that cars are made to fit airbags, not the other way round - airbags to fit cars - The reason is that 99% of all airbags are made in India, and the mounting bolt positions are essentially standardised...ie. you can fit any airbag to any car...but not 100% of the time...some airbags do have different bolt mount positions, but these are exceptions rather than rules...It's a manufacturing thing...keeps the costs down..
In fact, on BMW's, the dual stage airbag has exactly the same bolt mounting positions as the single stage bag...the difference is that the airbag + detonator module is deeper thicker to accomodate the extra apparatus required.
As imple description of an airbag is:- closest to the driver / passenger is the bag, and behind the bag is the detonator, and the whole is housed behind the cover of the steering wheel or wherever else the airbag is positioned.
The detonator requires an electrical current to be activated....again the current required is standard on all airbags...on BMW or Ford or whatever...it's between 4 and 6 volts...Once the airbag connector has been disconnected, the detonator can be used as a cricket ball...ie you can do what you like to it, it will not explode etc...The detonator works when the accident / impact sensor closes an electrical circuit, and the current passes tom the detonator...it then super heats a bi-metal element which reacts with incredible speed to create a gas...this inflates the bag...but know this too, by the time you, as the driver impact onto an inflated airbag, as in an accident, the airbag has already started deflating..it's literally milliseconds...If you were to hit a fully inflated airbag, it would be like slamming yourself into a brick wall...the whole idea is that it's deflation is what cushions your body, not it's inflation.
Anyone that tells you airbags are dangerous, is speaking from ignorance...they are dangerous only when connected to the sensors that can set them off, and it is only the detonator which is dangerous if connected, and not housed as it should be within the area it is designated for. ie. If you were to have it connected , and were holding it in your hand when you were struck by another vehicle, you would probably lose your hand. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:Anyone that tells you airbags are dangerous, is speaking from ignorance...:
That steering wheel looks dangerous just as it is:

My wallet will be hurt if I keep looking..... :head:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Having my wheel done by Royal is on my list - how much does it cost?
from memory when i enquired before I bought my Raid steering wheel the Royal was about £115 depending on the finish you chose, thickened, alcantara, stitching colours etc. You could send your wheel and they'd send you a replacement, or you can send your wheel and they lend you one whilst yours is being refurbed but I think for this option it was a £100 refundable deposit plus the additional postage costs sending them back and forth.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I had mine done in full Alcantara, thickened a little also. Yellow Stitching. I love it but maybe not everyones taste.

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Southernboy wrote: If it's a dual stage you have a small issue of sourcing a dual stage airbag to fit....:
That's not correct, you can fit a single stage airbag to a dual stage system by connecting it to the low impact circuit and bridging the high impact circuit with a resistor. The airbag will work safely as designed as the low impact circuit fires at the same time as a single stage system would in all scenarios. You obviously loose the benefit of a dual stage system though.

You cannot safely fit a dual stage airbag to a single stage system car as the airbags cannot deploy as designed in all scenarios.
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
snurdf

blank

Post by snurdf »

Thanks for all this information guys. I'm gonna hopefully find time to tackle the job tonight. I just hope I don't end up with the air bag light on.
I'll take a few decent pics when I get it on.

Roy.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My comment is that if his car is a dual stage system...and the steering wheel he has appears to be a single stage airbag, he will need to source a dual stage airbag to fit the steeringwheel, and the system in his car...If I confused you, apology... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

That new steering wheel looks great, nice improvement from the original.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
snurdf

blank

Post by snurdf »

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a straight forward job, straight swap, all connectors were the same. Here's a few crappy phone pics, just need to freshen up the air bag some how but you can see what a great job Jack does at Royal Steering Wheels.
Before
After

The hardest bit was getting the new badge lined up central. :D

Cheers guys,

Roy.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks great :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Southernboy wrote:My comment is that if his car is a dual stage system...and the steering wheel he has appears to be a single stage airbag, he will need to source a dual stage airbag to fit the steeringwheel, and the system in his car...If I confused you, apology... :wink:
and my comment was that your comment was wrong. I'm not confused by it :wink:

At the risk of repeating myself you can fit a single stage airbag to a dual stage system. He would not need to source another airbag as you state.

In any event he ended up with a single stage airbag and his car is single stage so striaght swap with no 2nd circuit to bridge.

The reason I corrected your statement was so that it did not mislead others who may read this thread / are tempted to get the same wheel and have a dual stage (>04/99 production) Z3.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well, that's cleared up the possible confusion....thanks John :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

I had my steering done by him quality is excellent, I had the same but a marker at the 12 a clock position and M stitching of course.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

Looks great!
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.