Cruise fitted today.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Cruise fitted today.

Post by helmik »

So the parts arrived from BMMINI, brilliant service, quick and all there. Took the footwell panels off, steering column cowling, looked at the pics in the how to again. The only issue i had was the white 3 pin connector wanted a game of hide and seek but was eventually spotted above the main wiring harness hiding. The other small thing was i didnt order any new plastic screw covers. You will need about 8 of these to replace the ones you need to put a hole in as they refuse to come off in one piece. I hadnt realised the cut out in the cowling is premarked for you so that was a lot easier than i expected.
Other than that, less than an hour, tested and working, very pleased with the results.

The other think i ordered was a thicker spring pad for the offside to try and even up the car. This was fitted, getting very good at that now, took about 35 minutes and shows instant results. The car sits more evenly, and i think it is tramlining less too but that may be wishful thinking. As it sits more square on the road perhaps i am right though, i will test and see.

Very good morning, i think i acheived loads so very happy. Now off to work.

Mick
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Cruise fitted today.

Post by Z3cade »

Excellent.. I'm currently collecting the parts to do the same thing.. ;)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

It is a nice wee job to do Mick, for once plug and play really is plug and play. I use my cruise control a lot and would not be without it now. :)
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Brian, its the one thing i use all day at work and in my car, the wife will probably never use it. Simple easy plug and play as you say, if only every job was this easy!!! Now, who does the screw covers cheap.

Mick
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Z3cade wrote:Excellent.. I'm currently collecting the parts to do the same thing.. ;)
Just under £100 for everything from BMMINI if yours is the simple version with fly by wire throttle. If its got a cable its more complicated (read more expensive) but i have done it on other makes of car.

Mick
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

helmik wrote:
Z3cade wrote:Excellent.. I'm currently collecting the parts to do the same thing.. ;)
Just under £100 for everything from BMMINI if yours is the simple version with fly by wire throttle. If its got a cable its more complicated (read more expensive) but i have done it on other makes of car.

Mick
Mine is cable throttle, I have everything bar the clutch switch and the cable its self.. So not far off now :wink:

I've bought all parts second hand off eBay.. And it's working out very cheap! :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

helmik wrote:Just under £100 for everything from BMMINI if yours is the simple version with fly by wire throttle. If its got a cable its more complicated (read more expensive) but i have done it on other makes of car.

Mick
do you have the BMMini part/reference numbers?
I cant see them on their website.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Here you go, those prices are higher than i paid for some reason. I think they come down as you go to checkout. I also had the spring pad and it only came to £101 with postage.

Part Number Description RRP (ex VAT) Our Price (ex VAT)
65 71 8380054 Interface, cruise control 46.67 41.50
61 31 8360926 Cruise control switch 65.42 58.22
61 31 1390968 BUTTON FOR CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH, (ENGLISH) 6.79 6.04

This is all i needed in a 2.2 other than the plastic screw covers when you remove the lower panel to get at the throttle etc. You will need about 8 of them too.

Go to the BMMINI site, put in your vin and search on diagrams. Click on 66 the pic of the car with waves coming off it!! Then click on cruise control. For mine i used the price finder thing which onl;y took them about 12 hours to reply, i needed numbers 13, 14(english) and 15. The info above is a cut and paste of what i got back from them but doesnt show their numbers, they are all BMW numbers that relate across. Heres a link to the right page. http://www.bmminiparts.com/DiagramView. ... MOSP=48081

Incidentally, 13 plugs into 15, 14 fits on the end, the only other connection is a 3 pin plug under the dash and then running the wiring safely, cut out the hole for the switch, clicks into place, job done!!

Cheers

Mick.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Pete you will need different parts as your 2.8 will have cable throttle like mine.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Z3cade wrote:Pete you will need different parts as your 2.8 will have cable throttle like mine.
I thought I only needed the switch and interface as it will be the half cable/half electric throttle body won't it? Its the M52tu engine - double vanos and already has a clutch switch,, I didnt think it needed the actuator/ 2nd cable :puzzle:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

fitted mine to my 2.2 last year. was probably the simplest and most satisfying job i have done on it so far! bought interface new from bmw for 45 pounds (ish) and the switch secondhand from quarry motors in sheffield. the firat switch sent was the wrong one, and after a quick call, they sent the correct one the next day and even said i could keep the first one! literally took less than an hour, plug and play and as i travel 27 mile each way to work,all dual carriage way, it is used all the time. definately a good addition :D
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

If you have the M52TU engine, you only need the interface and the steering column lever. I fitted cruise to my M52TU a couple of years ago and that was all that was required (plus a stanley knife to remove the cut-out for the lever). RealOEM does not make a distinction between the M52 and M52TU and lists everything needed to do both without making it clear which model needs what.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Does the dash light work with your cruise control retrofits? I noticed that my cluster has an telltale for cruisecontrol (looks like a green stopwatch is my best description), but there is no bulb fitted. I would guess that once you have fitted the control circuitry, the dash would register its presence and the telltale would work (assuming it has a bulb in it).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

gookah wrote:
Z3cade wrote:Pete you will need different parts as your 2.8 will have cable throttle like mine.
I thought I only needed the switch and interface as it will be the half cable/half electric throttle body won't it? Its the M52tu engine - double vanos and already has a clutch switch,, I didnt think it needed the actuator/ 2nd cable :puzzle:
Oh maybe I'm wrong then? If I'd known I would have installed it to my 2.8 :head:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Robert T wrote:Does the dash light work with your cruise control retrofits? I noticed that my cluster has an telltale for cruisecontrol (looks like a green stopwatch is my best description), but there is no bulb fitted. I would guess that once you have fitted the control circuitry, the dash would register its presence and the telltale would work (assuming it has a bulb in it).

Cheers R.
Another wee job to look at, never thought about a light. I have a look at the weekend.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Robert T wrote:Does the dash light work with your cruise control retrofits? I noticed that my cluster has an telltale for cruisecontrol (looks like a green stopwatch is my best description), but there is no bulb fitted. I would guess that once you have fitted the control circuitry, the dash would register its presence and the telltale would work (assuming it has a bulb in it).

Cheers R.
Mine has cruise (S50) and don't see a light on the dash when it's on.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

c_w wrote:Mine has cruise (S50) and don't see a light on the dash when it's on.
It may not work, as I am sure the same cluster will be used in other BMW models. In my paper manual and the 3 electronic manuals I have it is not documented. I was just surprised to see it on my cluster and wondered if it did.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I don't recall seeing a light on the dash when the cruise is on.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

No light on mine. Would be nice though.

Mick