Roof water leak

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mr strange

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Roof water leak

Post by mr strange »

I know there's various threads about leaking roofs, I've got a leak that seems to be where the rubber roof seal meets the top of the driver's window, the seal also seems to be in two parts with the join about halfway along the window that drips down the inside of the window. Is that normal I thought it would be a one piece seal.Any ideas, going to try the adjuster at the bottom of the door frame when it gets drier, although after seeing a titan silver with blue roof it might be worth replacing my tatty roof with a new one.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Roof water leak

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Mr S

Have you checked the drain chanel? This can get blocked and stop the water draining away, i used an extra long cable tye to dislodge a bit of dirt/dust and water now runs freely where it should do. I will try and find you the link to the 'How To' as it shows pictures where to check.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Here you go: I think you can adjust the height of your window a tad so that it pushes up on to the seal better but someone will be along shortly to help you.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... drain+hole
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Window closing height adjustment is made by the adjustment screw inside the door behind the doorcard. The screw is located on the window lift mechanism. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

That seal is in sections so the roof can fold, mine done it in same place and I found one of the sections wasn't located correctly in the frame also condition the seals so they are nice and supple.

I've never really used mine in wet weather until recently but it's our only car at the moment and I've noticed mines all water tight till you open the door then all the water runs off the roof onto the floor/seats or your legs as you get in. My old MGB roadster had a fabric rain gutter on the hood so this didn't happen.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
mr strange

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mr strange »

Just been out to have a closer look and there is a gap between the rubber seal and the A post about the width of a 2p coin so that will need something to fill the gap, the passenger side has already been done, reckon whatever was on the driver's side has fallen off when I've taken the roof off.