Front Speaker issues

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Front Speaker issues

Post by Zee3 »

I have problems with my front speakers. My Zed is a 2000 2.8. When I fade the sound to the front speakers, all I get is a very faint tinny sound. It's a bit like the sound is coming from a bean tin about 300 mts away. It's horrid.

I know the left speaker has an amplifier thingy built in, or is it the right one, anyway. If anyone's got an idea what's wrong I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Front Speaker issues

Post by stupot50 »

Have you had a new head unit fitted by any chance?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Do you get any sound from the front footwell speakers or just the tweeters in the doors?

Common faults with front speakers are

1. An aftermarket head unit was fitted (as has been said) and the amp remote power is not connected.
2. Faulty power relay on the amp of the front left footwell speaker.
3. Butchered wiring by a previous owner.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

the car has an aftermarket Sony unit fit by the previous owner also there are no theaters in the doors.
there is sound from the footwell speakers. but like i said its very faint even with the volume turned up.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Take the footwell covers off, remove the speakers, take em to a pawn shop and have them check them...if they're stuffed..they won't want them..if they're working they will offer you something in which case, politely decline and leave...or, connect them to the rear speaker cables and test them yourself...If they're shot you know what to do...if not, suggest you go online and download the operation manual for that model Sony...It's free and available....check that you are actually modulating the sound to the front...You may even discover options in the manual you didn't know you had...
Lastly, toss the whole lot out and start from scratch...there's heaps of good units on eBay + speakers. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

You on the wacky baccy today Barry lol :lol: :lol:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep Boysie Boy...
Well you know how it goes some days...you just ask yourself...what the... I recall my student days, when we would clear out our apartment of every bit of furniture, and then link 3 or 4 hifi systems together for a saturday night bash...man those were the days to discover if a speaker worked or not...with Slade going flat out and the neighbours joining in because it was easier than complaining ... We had speakers in every room in the apartment...it was like a multi roomed bash, with different age groups taking cover wherever they felt most comfortable...there was no such thing as HIV...the worst you could get was a very small crustacean...and then you had to be unlucky. I guess some people are just not blessed with those opportunities anymore. These days, they let someone else have the fun, and they just stand around trying to look "cool" or whatever the term is now...I had 4 girlfreinds and even they new how to handle a wire... and they were "loud speakers"...No mobiles, texting and all that stuff...the phone rang and whoever was closest answered it...or the message machine did it if no one bothered...Yep, how can I tell if my speaker is working...a real brain teaser that one.... I say get it out, jump on it and then the question won't trouble you anymore....and you'll know exactly what you need.... a "sound" therapist...
No offense Zee Zee...I've had a day of accountants that can't "figure" out why their systems don't add up...so your "problem" speakers or head unit can be sorted in 5 minutes...connect another speaker to the connection point behind the footwell...if it deafens you unexpectedly, but puts a smile on your chops....you will have answered your question. If it doesn't...then there may be loose connections at the head unit or, most unlikely..the head unit needs replacement.
I'll go with old, useless speakers as a first and most likely source to cure the issue....
Now, taking out the footwell covers is quite simple too...Under each dash side there are 2 twist lock screws (these are screws which only require a 90 degree turn to fasten or release and a flat tipped screwdriver is the best tool to use) which will allow you to remove the covers...one cover behind the glove box, and the other which has slots for the foot pedals.
On the driver side, you will need a Phillips screwdriver to remove the single screw in the center hinge point of the bonnet releas handle, and remove the handle. Behind that handle is a twist lock screw which must be removed and on the passenger side you will find one in a similar position. Once they are removed, you can pull the footwell covers out...they slot into the door sealing rubber at their front edges, so you will need to clear that obstacle too. Once out, the speakers will be there in front of you to examine..and the amp if it's still installed - and connected. From there on it's as above suggestions. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Great
I tried reading that without taking a breath
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Ray

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Riveting read Barry

The 'BEAST' 666
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi folks
had the very same problem with mine.
there is a good link on here about footwell speakers but cant remember where it is :?
but i changed the small relay on the circuit board and that cured the problem.
they make a sub sound good enough for the zed :D
cheers mick
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I couldn't be bothered to read so I held and 'spoke' it on the iPhone :lol:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I dont think i have that ?
Ray

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Boysie wrote:I dont think i have that ?

Me neither
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Interesting replies thanks.

See, I have a Bass rig that is big enough that if I crank it up It WILL remove all your ornaments from the wall and turn them to dust and rattle your grannies dentures if I hit a few choice notes, so the thought of using some extra speaker cable to the dodgy speakers, or swapping them around isn't totally lost on me.
No offence Southern Boysie, but as there is an amplifier of sorts on the left hand speaker, I was hoping that if someone had a similar problem and it pointed to the front left speaker it would have saved me a stack of time I don't have, ripping the car to bits to try to find out what's up.

Still no idea if all Zeds had tweeters in the doors or not and it looks like mine have been taken out. There's a hole in the trim where they should be. Oh the joy's of having a car where the previous owner or one of his paid monkeys have botched a job up.
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

micklaw wrote:hi folks
had the very same problem with mine.
there is a good link on here about footwell speakers but cant remember where it is :?
but i changed the small relay on the circuit board and that cured the problem.
they make a sub sound good enough for the zed :D
cheers mick

Thanks. I'll check that out, may be a quick fix.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

AFAIK all the stereo setups for the zed (standard, HiFi and Harmon Kardon) had tweeters in the tops of the doors. The HiFi and HK setups also have a mid-range speaker in there, hence there is space for two speakers, but on the standard setup one is unoccupied. There should also be a woofer in each the footwell. As we found out recently, the early cars with standard did not have speakers behind the seats. The HK and HiFi setups also have a subwoofer in the central storage box area. The HK setup has an additional amplifier in the boot.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc