Removing Aftermarket Hoops

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Removing Aftermarket Hoops

Post by eyerisk »

Hi,

As ever I am after some help from the Z3 forum, which always comes up trumps !!

I have purchased from Southern Boy the smaller cubby box and am in the process of obtaining some genuine hoops.....my problem.

Removing the aftermarket hoops and existing cubby (is cubby box the correct term). I have read through knowledge base re fitting the new ones, nothing on removing the old. The aftermarket ones I have fitted, block the opening of the centre console so I cannot get access to the screws and I pretty much removed every screw I could see with no success. The turrets look as though they might pull off but did not want to exert to much effort in case they smashed. The turrets also look as though they were gouged out to fit the oversized roll bars.....so I may be looking for new ones anyway.

So some help would be really appreciated, I have posted some pics of the key areas. Let me know if there are other angles require to diagnose the problem?

Left Turret showing 'gouging'

Blocking the centre console lid

Right side turret

Full rear section

Cheers

Ian
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Removing Aftermarket Hoops

Post by Robert T »

That looks like rust on the bottom of those hoops! :shock:

They look like they are just push fit, as there is no way to get to any bolts under the seatbelt turrets. When I say push fit, I mean pushed in with a large hammer, or possibly a pile-driver - they look like they might be in quite tight. I would try tapping them upwards with a rubber mallet if you have one.

The turrets are secured by three screws - one facing outward, which you can get at without removing anything - and two facing inwards which are blocked by the storage box (the box, not the lid). They look like they are damaged, but this is not a big deal, as you'll need to either replace them with ones for rollhoops or drill holes in them to fit the new hoops as the hoops bolt in and the access to the bolts is through the inside (curved) part of the turret. The with-rollhoops version has a removable panel for access to the bolts.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Poke a long screwdriver intothe slot where th seat belt emerges from, and use it to press out the small cover plate on the outer side of the turret. This will reveal the roll-over bar fixing screws - originally torx screws. Then the bars should pull upwards and out.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well it would Mike, if he actually had that the rollhoop seatbelt turrets fitted. :wink:

He has the non-rollhoop versions, which don't have this plate/panel. I swapped the trim on mine when I fitted hoops to mine, so I know exactly what both types look like.

Cheers R.
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

Cheers Robert, yes this is my problem..........how were yours fixed in then ?
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

My car has these hoops fitted but there are 2 grommets on each side where the hoop goes into the plastic cover to allow the removal of the securing bolts.

They could be just pushed in and require pulling out, but it might be tight as I presume you have tried that.
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

Hi,

Sorry are you suggesting giving them a whack with a rubber mallet? Someone else has suggested this?

Cheers

Ian
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

eyerisk wrote:Cheers Robert, yes this is my problem..........how were yours fixed in then ?
My car didn't have any hoops fitted, so none to remove. :wink:

If they were bolted in, the bolts would have to go through the pre-drilled and tapped holes and plates on the rollhoop mounts underneath. In the picture below, you can just make out the lower of the two bolts going into the tube that supports the outer leg:

You can also clearly see the removable panel in the rollhoop version of the turret and the two screws facing inwards that hold it in place - see how they are below the level of the storage box lid.

As there is no way to get to the bolts, I seriously doubt that your hoops are fixed in place, other than being a tight fit into the tube.

One thing I would check before you remove all the trim is the build date of your car - I see from your profile you have a 1997 2.8, but is that the build or registration date? - check the sticker under the bonnet - if it says 1996 on it, I think your car will lack the pre-drilled holes in the chassis for mounting the brackets for the inboard rollhoop legs.

Cheers R.
jimmy boy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jimmy boy »

hi ian would you be interested in selling your old all in one roll hoops if so how much thanks james pm me if possible cheers
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

Happy to sell, I just need to remove them first......Grrrrr

Going to go at them with a mallet tonight, having read everyone's advice I think they are just wedged in.....

Not sure on Build Date, I know the car is definitely pre face lift i.e. Oct 97......does this help ? I will check under the bonnet when I get in tonight

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice.

I am now trying to source Turret Covers and Side Panels if anyone knows of any ?

Cheers

Ian
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ian...log onto http://www.realoem.com then at the top left where it says "SERIAL Number" enter the last 7 digits of your VIN number and hit "ENTER"....you will see lower down in bold type, the make, model, date of manufacture, etc of your specific vehicle...That website is also quite useful for finding the correct parts to fit your specific vehicle...you just click "Browse Parts" then select the item where you would expect to find the part eg. "car trim" for all the trim used on your car..or "engine" if you wanted a specific part for that...etc etc...It's useful to know the exact model and date of your car when asking for advice, as there are quite a few variations.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

A couple of decent whacks with rubber mallet is all is all it took .....Happy Days!!!

So the z continues to throw up surprises......bathroom sealant was the only 'glue' holding them plus a bit of force. You can see the residue on the second pic!!

Cheers

Ian
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well done Ian....I suspected it might just need a bit of a smack... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

So they were purely cosmetic and no access to the storage box. The holes in the turrets look to have been chewed out by the pet dog.

I hope you source all the bits to put the new roll hoops in and it all goes together ok.

You probably have seen it but there is a link to the BMW instructions to fitting roll hoops on the knowledge base, http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=3439. It's part way through this one.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Good stuff. :)

The cut edges of the tops of those turrets might cover up with the foam pieces that go on the bottom of the OEM hoops, so if you have no joy finding the rollhoop versions for you car, you might still get a tidy enough finish if you drill and grommet your existing turrets.

Cheers R.
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I have already sourced BMW hoops from Steve they are on route to Newcatle as we speak. I weather ok on Sat I am going to have a trial fit so I understand how everything works.

However, smoked indicator lenses, new kidney grills and a sticking rear brake show may just take priority......and a good wash and polish Ha Ha.

Cheers

Ian
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There's a forum member with the wind deflector you may want...he's selling it for £75.00...make him a ridiculous offer... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Haha! ...and that's exactly what he did! ;)
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

In the NE we have a saying 'shy bairns'....

Soooo

Max was very polite....

Cheers

Ian
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

eyerisk wrote:In the NE we have a saying 'shy bairns'....

Soooo

Max was very polite....

Cheers

Ian
If you don't ask you don't get :D