Rear window advice

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Rear window advice

Post by Beaker »

So, in January I managed to put a guitar amp through my zeds back window (don't ask).

I purchased a replacement window on eBay that came from Germany, not an OEM part. After hours of toil, i managed to get it fitted but the plastic always had a ripple in it, I wasn't too happy with it but could live with it for a while. Yesterday was the first day this year (I live in Glasgow) where I managed to get the top down. On putting the top down, the zips on the window burst open :head:

Any advice on this, has anyone else purchased an aftermarket window and got good things to say or should i just write off that £100 as a mistake and take it to BMW for an OEM (anyone any idea how much this would set me back?).

Cheers
brilie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rear window advice

Post by brilie »

Oh dear I have just bought the same but I have not had the courage
(or the time ) to fit it yet.Hope I dont have the same problems!!

cheers Brian
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

There is a thread with step by step instructions Here

and another one Here
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Yip, that's the instructions I followed. To be honest, I think the window I bought was the problem, it came with all the fitting equipment needed and I followed the guide above but it never sat right after several attempts and lining the zipper up a few teeth in each direction each time I fitted the window.

I think I'll be calling my local BMW parts centre tomorrow for a price for the oem window. I read today on another forum that someone else exprienced the same issues as I have, trouble fitting and the zip bursting open. They thought they'd damaged the zip on the hood side and would need a new hood. They bought a BMW window, fitted it and it's been fine ever since.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Beaker wrote: lining the zipper up a few teeth in each direction each time I fitted the window.

I think that is your problem, I believe (and I think it says in one of the instructions) you only have 1 tooth leeway each way from the centre/start, anything else will cause it to be misaligned.
helmik

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by helmik »

Was it from the bloke in Munster?? I bought one and had the same issues. Never did manage to line it up and when i tried to close the roof the zip burst. I returned it and got a refund. I think there are some size issues with his, when i laid it over the original it seemed slightly smaller. If it is from him it may be worth getting in touch to see if he will accept it back as its been a while.
I got a used BMW one, had just a few months use, off ebay in the end. Fitted and working a treat so i would say stick with BMW.

Cheers

Mick
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Yeah, i tried lining it up lots of different ways, tried all the recommended ways and experimented with a few as well.

Yip, was a chap in Munster I got it from. I'll drop him a mail tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, these forums are the most useful zed resource on the web :-)

Maybe a recommended retailers section would be handy, to help prevent this sort of thing happening to muppets like me :roll:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Beaker wrote:So, in January I managed to put a guitar amp through my zeds back window

Rock 'n' roll lifestyle? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

By the sounds of it its the same as the one I bought, I fitted mine a couple of weeks back. It took several attempts and a lot of cursing to get it right, mine also burst open on the first attempt. It has to be lined up really accuratley for the zip to stay together all the way round, two things happen if not the first being the zip bursts open the second being the fabric of the hood will be uneven so it won't fit into the plastic rim correctly, we're talking mm's of accuracy here. Did it in the end, found it easier to do it from the inside and sow the ends together rather than use the metal clip provided. For a job that looks as if it should be easy it certainly isn't, one word springs to mind 'perseverance' :head:

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Thanks Andy, i've emailed the ebay seller but haven't had any response, looks like i'll need to open an ebay case :-(

Contacted my local BMW garage today, £225 for an OEM window. That seems steep compared to what others are saying?
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Might seem like a lot more money but you know that it will fit properly
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Couldn't agree more but being Scottish, i've got a stereotype of being tight with money to uphold :-)
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Try Cotswold BMW, we got a genuine one for approx £150 delivered.
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

I know this isn't much help up there in the north but I've had my rear window replaced for under £200 all inclusive - fantastic job done at a reputable company in Exeter...I'm sure there must be somewhere similar up north?
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Thanks everyone, I'm now sorted out with a replacement OEM window.
Another win for the forums :-)
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

Where did you end up going, because I'm just starting out in my search for a replacement?
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

I got one from a guy on here, I posted a wanted ad. It's an OEM one, don't get anything but BMW.

The ebay guy art-design-munster isn't answering any of my ebay messages and therefore I don't think he wants to offer a refund.
Avoid all non OEM windows imho
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I need one of these too as mine has a split in it, decided to have a go at alternative replacement - got a plastic roller door at work (the fast up, down type) nice clear plastic/rubber type, it hasn't worked for years. so Wednesday decided while no one was around to lower door manually and removed a rear window shaped piece out of it, then wound the door back up. yesterday (Thursday) an electrician arrived unannounced to apparently fix the roller door so we can use it :shock: ooops, luckily we had a power cut at the time but its now only a matter of time till he's back :shock:
now my issue is how to fix this real nice new window in. do I (a) cut out old window leaving a small edge behind then attach new window to this with a flexible clear glue or sealer, or (B) use a narrow rubber window seal (like the type used to put in windows into caravans but a thinner one) and attach this to the small piece left after cutting, this way I don't have to touch the zipper. :?
my other issue is trying to deny all knowledge of the window shaped hole in the roller door :twisted:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote: now my issue is how to fix this real nice new window in. do I (a) cut out old window leaving a small edge behind then attach new window to this with a flexible clear glue or sealer, or (B) use a narrow rubber window seal (like the type used to put in windows into caravans but a thinner one) and attach this to the small piece left after cutting, this way I don't have to touch the zipper. :?
I'm not really sure there is going to be any really satisfactory way to attach it that won't just keep coming apart and probably leak when it rains. If it was that easy, there would be kits like this for temporary repairs.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Perhaps a good time to put it back, and test a few different adhesives... :D You can always cut out a matching piece once you have run all your tests for the best glue.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

im going to try as my window is split anyhow, will keep folk posted in a new thread 8-)
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

If you're interested, I could sell you the window I got on eBay that I can't return.

It wasnt a great fit on my car but you may have better luck.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

As my rear window is a little cloudy, slightly yellowed and has a permanent horizontal greyness where it folds in half I'd like to change it.
I've had a go with various of the recommended rubbing compounds without much success so a replacement would be the next thought.
However, I not sure what's going on here. These replacement all seem to be zipped into place, but I'm pretty sure my existing window is sewn in? So how is the change over accomplished?

I came across these lot on E-Bay and they seem to be saying the window is zipped in, but I've just had a quick look in the garage and I didn't see a zip around my window?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-ORIGIN ... 1e71e9d027
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

John1950 wrote:.............. These replacement all seem to be zipped into place, but I'm pretty sure my existing window is sewn in? So how is the change over accomplished?
John,

An `expert' will probably be along soon to correct but I had the same problem trying to find the ******** zip which everybody was talking about when I first got my zed. The answer - there wasn't one as it was a replacement mohair top. I think the original OEM' tops were zipped in but aftermarket replacements are mainly sewn in.
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Sounds right. Oem is zipped in place and a flange, which is on the hood is glued in place to seal from rain.
On oem tops, the zip is visible from the inside, though there is no zipper, it's supplied with the replacement window.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Beaker wrote:If you're interested, I could sell you the window I got on eBay that I can't return.

It wasnt a great fit on my car but you may have better luck.
how much :P
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

It was £106, PM me an offer :-)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

is it complete, where did it come from?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

oh yeh, no need to answer that, just read the whole post. ummm might be interested. this has got me thinking there must be a better alternative I can come up with and hey make a few quid :) I already have an idea im toying with :idea:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:oh yeh, no need to answer that, just read the whole post. ummm might be interested. this has got me thinking there must be a better alternative I can come up with and hey make a few quid :) I already have an idea im toying with :idea:
Glass window, with a hinge in it? :D
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

John1950 wrote:As my rear window is a little cloudy, slightly yellowed and has a permanent horizontal greyness where it folds in half I'd like to change it.
I've had a go with various of the recommended rubbing compounds without much success

Have you tried Brasso the liquid variety, I've cleaned a few windows using it, it's quite effective. Did the rear window on the Z, it was great and then I went and split it. Did the window on my other car about three years back still nice and clear.

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

gas guzzler wrote:
John1950 wrote:As my rear window is a little cloudy, slightly yellowed and has a permanent horizontal greyness where it folds in half I'd like to change it.
I've had a go with various of the recommended rubbing compounds without much success

Have you tried Brasso the liquid variety, I've cleaned a few windows using it, it's quite effective. Did the rear window on the Z, it was great and then I went and split it. Did the window on my other car about three years back still nice and clear.

Andy
No, I haven't tried that, but must do so. Brasso's so much cheaper than those rubbing compounds. I might even have a go at it with my rotary polisher - I'm not too keen on hard manual labour!
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Might be worth checking that whilst Brasso may clean your window you want it to remain supple and I can't help thinking (after cleaning mounds of brassware in a previous life :shock: ) that it might make your window brittle. It's pretty harsh stuff it used to burn my skin if I didn't wear gloves.

Just worth checking that's all.... :?
brilie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by brilie »

Well,after having my munster replacement rear window in the garage for
a couple of months, I finally plucked up the courage to have a go and fit it.
After reading the problems a few people on here had trying to fix it i was
very dubious about the outcome!
However,I was pleased and suprised to say that after about 90mins job done!!!!!!
It was little bit fiddley getting the zipper onto both zips but even on my own I
somehow manged it.First attempt the starting zippers came undone and had a
little ripple along the bottom edge. Second attempt PRESTO !!!! fit fine, sewed
up the ends taped up and seam back into the window edge .....brilliant!!
I must say the info on this site helped a great deal and gave me the confidence
to have a go myself :D

cheers Brian
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

its not as bad as some folk make out, maybe its abit of pot luck too. I must have tried around 20 zippers but none would work so I had to buy the zipper off ebay, first time it went in and stayed in, you do have to keep a close eye on the job in hand and backtrack slightly if the zip tries to miss a tooth or two. the window I now have isn't quite the same as the original, the rubber seal around the edge for sealing the window isn't as flexible as the original and leaves a small crease in the edging with the roof down, when first fitted it didn't look as though it was a good fit on my z either, but under full tension (roof up) and left out in a sunny spot it changed, now fits fine. if I do another one I would recommend oem as the seal around the edges is better (more like rubber than plastic). anyone looking for a replacement for there sown in window - oem window around £150, so if you have a look around you can find replacement mohair tops for about £350, some even fitted. so for an extra £200 you get to pic your colour for a new top :) not too bad if you look at it that way.