1.9 instrument cluster lamps how many should i have?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ShayneJ

Z3 roadster 1.9

1.9 instrument cluster lamps how many should i have?

Post by ShayneJ »

Hi i suspect i am missing some of my cluster lamps does anyone know the correct
loadout of warning lamps for the bottom row of the cluster in a 97 1.9

i ask as i have no lamps in any of the engine related sockets bar the standard oil pressure and charging positions
but a full set for the brakes seatbelt etc
i would imagine i should have at least one lamp fitted relating to engine management?

for the record the car is running fine so i dont suspect a fault but the thought of a prior owner playing musical
chairs with the lamps is irritating.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 1.9 instrument cluster lamps how many should i have?

Post by Robert T »

I documented pretty much the full set of lamps on my '99 1.9 here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=35657

The instrument cluster changed some time in 1998, along with the alarm system. Not just sure how much is different, but the odometer self-test function definitely changed around then.

Note that some lamps are only fitted in conjunction with certain options, or to other models that received the same instrument cluster.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Shayne,
I have the `98 1.9 Auto ( built Dec 97) so I think it will be the same as yours.
There is no Energy Management light. The layout is as follows:
Top Centre – battery charge, full beam, engine oil pressure
Bottom Left – fog lights ( if fitted) and rear fog lights
Bottom Centre – Auto transmission ( if fitted), seat belt and ABS
Just above bottom Centre – ASC
Bottom right – Brake Pad wear, brake hydraulics, handbrake and airbags
As Robert says it depends which options are installed.

Hope this helps
ShayneJ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by ShayneJ »

cheers both yep Jonco your layout sounds just like mine so no eml okies panic over. :D
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Should I have an engine management light?
Hi, I took my 98 1.9 out today to see what part exchange value I could get at a couple of local garages. At the last garage I visited the owner told me that I should have an engine management light on the dash and it should illuminate at the first turn of the key and then go out if all is o.k. I don't appear to have that particular warning light at all and I suspect the early UK cars don't have it. He was not convinced, so I had to pull the instrument cluster out to convince him. There are several empty bulb holders on the back and looking through the dash there is a 'Check Engine' lens, but no bulb installed. He implied that I'd removed the bulb myself. He put a bulb in the holder, but it did not illuminate at any time when the key was turned. He's still convinced that I've removed a bulb and wants to drop my cars value by £200 as a result.
I've Googled for some confirmation to back up my thoughts, but the majority of web sites are in the USA where the Z3 does actually appear to use the 'Check Engine' function. This Zroadster.net thread is the only place where other UK owners have suggested we don't have that function. Does anyone please have a schematic that shows what bulbs a UK Z3 should have fitted?.
Thanks.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

As I stated earlier my '98 1.9 ( Dec '97 build) does not have one. It is not shown in owner's handbook either. If you don't have handbook and want a copy of relevant pages then pm me your email address and I will send you a scanned copy tomorrow.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Hi,
I do have a user manual and I actually had it with me today. The dealer even read through it. You're correct that the manual doesn't show any engine management warning light, but this particular car dealer won't even accept that it's not shown in the manual. I guess he just wants a cash sale for his nice shiny car and is trying to put me off selling him my Z in PX.

He started getting funny because my airbag light came on at the weekend. I assumed it was as a result of me letting my battery go flat. I haven't used the Z for a month and hadn't attached the trickle charger. I removed the battery from the car to charge it as it was completely dead. After it was reconnected my airbag light now stays on. Do I simply have to get it reset at a garage or do I have a new fault?

Terry.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What is the build date of your car? It will be on a sticker on one of the front suspension strut towers under the bonnet.

There was a major electronics change to the Z3 sometime before the facelift, I believe during September '98. At this point the cars got the 19-test instrument cluster (over the earlier 15-test type), an alarm with the buttons on the key (instead of the housebrick remote) and some significant changes to some of the control modules making them more ODBII compliant. It is quite possible that the Engine Management light (yellow engine) was added at this point. My car is 01/99 built, so has the later electronics and it does indeed have an Engine Management light.

I can categorically say that there are some telltales in my car's the instrument cluster that do NOT have bulbs in them, as I have owned it from new. Some of them are for options not fitted to my car, but a number of them are for options not fitted to any Z3. One thing we did find that was interesting is that my cluster has space for a cruise control warning light, including a film for it, but this does not have a bulb in it even on cars with cruise control fitted.

Having said all that, I have just been out to my car now to double-check and the Engine Management light does NOT illuminate when the ignition key is turned, only when the cluster is put into self-test mode. I shot a short video of the start-up sequence, which I will upload shortly.

Cheers R.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Robert,
Just been out to the Z. My label says build date : March 98. So mine is a pre-facelift.
When I took the dash pod out earlier today, the lower central window of warning lights had no bulbs at all on the left side i.e. only the brake warnings on the right. If you held the pod up to the sun and allowed the light through the empy bulb holders, it was possible to see warning windows for 'check engine', a small auto gearbox cog with central exclamation mark, the anti tip symbol (similar to a bench vice) and another engine related warning. None of these have bulbs fitted and probably don't have any connected circuits in the car. I don't have the modern engine block symbol as you do.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

March '98 is well before the electronics changeover - my car is also a pre-facelift as that happened during April '99.

Below is a short video of the startup sequence on my car - as you can see that none of the left-hand telltales come on, only those on the right - there are definitely bulbs in a couple of them, as they come on when the pod is put into self-test mode.

I'd conclude that 1) your car should not have an engine management light and 2) that the test of putting a bulb in and turning the key is invalid.

Cheers R.
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

Robert,

The video's brilliant and definitely proves my point. Thank you for taking the time to put it together. It'll be a great help if I get the same query again. Essentially, my dash light start up sequence is the same as yours.

I haven't tried a self test of the dash. Is that still possible on my model? How is it initiated?

Terry.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Self-test mode is documented in the knowledgebase here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=20201

I would expect yours to be the 15-test type, so you want the second lot of instructions, starting halfway down the page.

Cheers R.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Mine has a build date May 1998 and similarly has no EML nor any mention of an EML in the owners manual I inherited with the car - this manual also refers to 2.8 and M models. I had always understood that the M44 engine (and therefore pre-facelift) car was pre-OBD II compliant as it also does not have a post-cat lambda sensor which all post-OBD II cars do have.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Airbag light will need to be reset via the diagnostics port. It is possible that disconnecting the battery has brought it on, perhaps if it made an intermittent circuit when you reconnected it, but it can also happen if you simply moved the seat. The only way to find out is to clear the codes and see if it comes back on.

@Del - The EML icon is not the Engine Management light - it is Electronic engine output control and is to do with the power brakes. The Engine Management light is the little engine symbol, or "Check Engine" text on some cars (usually US spec, as the Americans don't do symbols).

Cheers R.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

TerryO
The last dealer you visited is obviously a NUMPTY who hasn't got a clue and is trying it on to make more money out of you.
I think you would be very wise to have no dealings with him!