Early Saturday project

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Early Saturday project

Post by Woody1000 »

Thought I would get up this morning and spend a couple of hours on the car, decided to tackle the front gills and spray them silver as suggested by some Zedsters ! Come out a treat and didn't take long so with the other hour I wrapped the dash in carbon fibre transfer. Not a bad result for just two hours work ImageImage oh and finally got Woody on the plate !! Sado I know !!Image
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Early Saturday project

Post by Del »

I sprayed the mesh on my door speakers and side gills last week. I went for shiny black on the side gills (silver car) plus some clearcoat on top. Took me ages to gently remove the side gills and then gently prise them apart so that I could rub down and spray the mesh – you’re obviously one of those “annoying” expert DIYers who can change a clutch in the lunch hour. :D

The carbon fibre on the dash looks good. I was going to do the bit around the gear lever (just to “lift” the inside a bit) but it seems difficult doing it in situ. :(
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Not really Del I'm a novice at this car malarky ! The gills were fairly easy to remove and spray but I guess if you had a clip or two that were difficult then it would take much longer.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Did you get the carbon fibre sheet off ebay? and did you apply it to the centre console in situ or did you remove it?

Looks great :D
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking good :grin:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
bessieblue

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by bessieblue »

very nice woody, hoping to get my chrome hoops on soon if the weather stays nice.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Fender, yes bought the carbon set specifically for the Z3 off eBay from Germany. Fitted it in situ bit tricky to get right but take your time and make sure you heat the plastic first with a heat gun or hair dryer Bessie the hoops look great and I'm thinking we are due the next batch of hot weather very soon !!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Woody1000 wrote:Fender, yes bought the carbon set specifically for the Z3 off eBay from Germany. Fitted it in situ bit tricky to get right but take your time and make sure you heat the plastic first with a heat gun or hair dryer Bessie the hoops look great and I'm thinking we are due the next batch of hot weather very soon !!
Thanks for that. Good luck with the weather :D
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I fancy tackling the wrapping of the centre console but have never tried this before. Is there anything in the knowledge base or can anyone point me at a website?

Also the eBay link for the carbon fibre wrap if possible?

Cheers

Ian
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Although the carbon fibre look isn't for me personally, you've done a great job there. I like that you've done the edges of the switches as well - makes a really tidy job of it.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Hi Ian,

Here is the ebay link for the wrapping http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Z3-RHD ... 51abde0134

It is really easy to apply, if i was to do it again i think i would remove the chrome rings around the heater controls as this was the most difficult bit to get right, you get cleaning cloths with the kit to wipe all the grease off the dash then i used a heat gun to warm the dash so the transfer stuck well..

Good luck.... Tony