airbags/head units

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

airbags/head units

Post by littlefeller »

newbi question - is the airbag light supposed to show when you first put the key in? mine doesn't come on at all, wondering if the bulb has been removed, though it was mot,d December. :? second question is regards the original head unit, if I swapped mine would the volume still change depending on speed, my original unit jumps on cds going over the smallest bumps :evil:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: airbags/head units

Post by Robert T »

Yes, the airbag lights should come on and go out again at startup - at least on my 01/99 pre-facelift 1.9 it does. If you do find the bulb has been removed (or has blown because it has been on so long) then you will need a special tool or a laptop to reset it. Quite a number of us have such gear - take a look here to see if there is anyone near you: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36055

Not sure about your headunit. The zed does have a GAL signal which is what speed variable volume controls use. My headunit has a variable volume, but I am not sure it uses the GAL wire, from what I read it implied it measured background noise. I never used the BMW headunit, so I don't know if it has this feature or not, but others have got it working with aftermarket units.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

thanks for the link, nerest to me is Newport - about 60 miles :cry: but then how did it pass an mot, unless the airbag issue wasn't an mot issue till this year :? I was looking under the passenger seat to see why the motor for up and down doesn't work and noticed wires going into the seat, is this something to do with the air bag, also noticed a black plug not pluged into anything but I cant see a socket for it, is this normal? maybe heated seat option if fitted? :? im now wondering if the seat motor not working (though the backwards-forwards works fine) is in any way connected to the airbag issue like someone's been pocking around in there to fix the bag but messed up.
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

My seat had the forward back working but not the up down, I did the play with the switch trick that I read on here. Works ok now took 5 mins of klicking though and I could see the motor trying to work underneath
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

hey whats the play with the switch trick?
miller1098

blank

Post by miller1098 »

The way I did it was to sit in the seat and move the lever up and down for ages saying to myself "this will never work"then I looked underneath still moving the lever chanting "this will never f*****g work"I took about 5 mins .the key is in the chant :lol:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

im gona try that. chanting it is :lol: