What are the weak spots on a Z3 1999 pre-facelift?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
honeybee#234

Z3 roadster 1.9

What are the weak spots on a Z3 1999 pre-facelift?

Post by honeybee#234 »

As a new owner, can someone advise what are the main trouble spots on a 1999 Z3? Are some parts difficult or near-impossible to obtain? From the posts on here, I've gathered that it pays to keep the wing mirror supports rust-free, and that BMW mudflaps are unavailable. Anything else I should specifically watch out for?
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: What are the weak spots on a Z3 1999 pre-facelift?

Post by geminimustang »

Water pump is a weak spot which I found out one Bank Holiday when I needed the RAC to get me to a garage who charged me £180.It was that or abandon the car and walk 40 miles home.Front mud-flaps are available,I've a new set in a cupboard.We got a rear pair from eBay,lucky.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

What are the weak spots on any 14+ year old car? The Zed is pretty well built, but time takes its toll on all cars. Really depends on how well maintained it is, but hoses will be getting old and perished by now, plastics become brittle (especially in the cooling system), and so on. I think the Zed ages much better than a lot of cars, though.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Rear shock top mounts, rubber roof/door seals, front steering bushes, seat bushes, as mentioned...plastics, and of course rust is always your companion in the UK...especially in the side sills, body panel joints, under the wheel arches and anywhere else it can infest itself. May be a good idea to trawl the Z3 knowledge base for items on "rust", "maintenance", "windscreen leak", "door sills" and of course, "door mirrors"... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

How about that old favourite, boot welds? The problem seems to have affected many examples, including those with smaller engines and can be expensive to resolve.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The zeds are generally pretty solid and bodywork is not usually a major concern - they certainly fair a lot better than other cars the same age. Coil springs seem to break fairly regularly, but depending where they break you may not notice one has gone - they will normally be flagged up at an MOT, so the car shouldn't have been hiding that one too long. Water leaks are getting more common as the cars age, so it is worth checking all the carpets both inside the car, softtop storage box and boot for damp as well as the two wells either side of the boot behind the trim as water collects here. Boot lid wiring is a bit of an Achilles heal, and the grommet is passes through and the aerial grommet are prone to decay. Also check the condition of the PAS cooling loop at the front of the engine bay - they seem to corrode badly and when they rupture you will lose power steering. Brake pipes also seem to be getting to the stage where they need replacing - I had my rears done a little while ago - fronts are currently okay. Waterpump and viscous fan coupling are worth a check as when they go they can make a right mess (note to self to get mine replaced before too much longer).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Tyre valve caps can go missing, :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
honeybee#234

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by honeybee#234 »

Thanks everyone. Will check all those a.s.a.p. Just love driving it!
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Compared to most cars of a similar age I think they are reliable. Give the wheel arches a good wash out and if you can remove the liners and clean out the silt that collects behind which can rust the sills (which aren't structural). Check under the carpets for water, and inside the boot behind the wheels for water collecting. Rubber goes hard and perishes as with any car but there is loads of info on the knowledge part of this forum to cure most problems. Come along to local events and ask questions if you have a problem.

Keep on enjoying the zed and love the sun keeping shining.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Check that each 'cup' for the hood drainage (located behind the seat) does not have a blocked pipe. Difficult to see at first.
Pour in a little water, then look under the car to see it drain out.
honeybee#234

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by honeybee#234 »

Thanks for all replies - nearly everything suggested has been checked, but where are boot welds located? (yes, yes, obviously they're in the boot, but where are we talking about?)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Take a look at the last few pics in this thread: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 50#p258550

There are other threads with pics of more severe problems where the boot floor has actually torn, but popped spot welds are an early warning sign and once popped they expose bare metal, which rusts and shows through inside the boot.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc