Should there be TWO engine fans?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Should there be TWO engine fans?

Post by John1950 »

Call me blind if you must, but only today did I notice that my Zed has TWO fans in front of the engine.

1. A standard viscous coupled type located behind the water radiator
2. An electric fan located in front of the water radiator.

Is this normal?
Last edited by John1950 on Tue 07 May, 2013 14:46, edited 2 times in total.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Re: Should there be TWO engine fans?

Post by Badman gee »

You lucky boy John!

The 'BEAST' 666
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Badman gee wrote:You lucky boy John!
Yes, but am I normal?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, for a car with aircon, which I assume you have.
Unless, like me, you have an M44 with aircon but have one big electric fan where the viscous one is on your car.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John1950 wrote:
Badman gee wrote:You lucky boy John!
Yes, but am I normal?
What is the definition of normal!

There isn't one!

The 'BEAST' 666
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

I talk for the M44, the engine I have and "studied".

1) a non-air conditioned Z with that engine come from the factory with viscostatic fan, the one "attached" to the engine bay that runs every time you start the car.

2) an air-conditioned Z comes with a viscostatic and an electric fan. the viscostatic is in the engine bay as said, the electric on the radiator, like the 318 is with same engine (is you case).

3) most times the Z'ds arrived to the dealer without the AC, that was post-mounted with an original kit in BMW before the car delivery, and in that case the 2-speed electric fan between radiator and engine bay completely replaced the viscostatic one, that was fully removed: in that case the car will have only ONE electric fan, between radiator and engine, bigger than the one of the 2nd case.

that was (in italy and german at least) the "standard" ways, and explains why some z'ds have 2 fans, and some not :)
and explains too why some cars have the electric fan that in a lot of cases starts only at higher speed and not at the lower one , like mine was: the thermostat you can now buy in bmw for our Zeds (NOT only for M44, on bimmerforums and bimmerfest the same problem was found on a 3.0 and on a M ) have the correct wiring for 318is and air-conditioned Zds, but NOT for the retrofitted AC zeds ;)

..and so, if some of you have to change the thermostat, expecially if have the electric fan only, take a look and an ear at your fan speeds when car is turning hot ;)
Last edited by resunoiz on Tue 07 May, 2013 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

resunoiz wrote:I talk for the M44, the engine I have and "studied".

a non-air conditioned Z with that engine come from the factory with viscostatic fan, the one "attached" to the engine bay that runs every time you start the car.

an air-conditioned Z comes with a viscostatic and an electric fan. the viscostatic is in the engine bay as said, the electric on the radiator, like the 318 is with same engine.

but most times the Z's arrived to the dealer without the AC, and was post-mounted in BMW before the car delivery, and in that case the 2-speed electric fan between radiator and engine bay completely replaced the viscostatic one, that was fully removed. that was (in italy and german at least) the "standard" ways, and explains why some z'ds have 2 fans, and some not :)

Ah well, mine's a 2.8 with a/c so that explains why I have this abundance of whirling parts.
In fact, I had suspected for some time that mine was originally an import even though it's a right hand drive and then when I went to a BMW dealer to get some parts I was asked if it was imported which of course I wasn't entirely sure of.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

John1950 wrote:

Ah well, mine's a 2.8 with a/c so that explains why I have this abundance of whirling parts.
In fact, I had suspected for some time that mine was originally an import even though it's a right hand drive and then when I went to a BMW dealer to get some parts I was asked if it was imported which of course I was sure of.
:D is not an imported matter or not, but an AC retrofit one or not ;)

don't know if other parts of the world works th same way but I think so, because as said I found same configurations and issues in US,UK and more :D

your car came with AC from the dealer simply, maybe in 2.8 was not optional but a standard accessory? I'm not sure of it and if it varies in some parts of the world, but is an hipotesys of why you have the "correct" configuration for the AC-zeds ;)

Having a 2-speed fan or a second fan is essential for the AC cars, because of the highest work of the engine that results in more heat :P
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

PS:
if you want to know id it's imported, you can try your chassis numer here
http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/ or here http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

and see what standard configuration had. mine for example was a german one, and between the characteristics says that:

L801A DEUTSCHLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG National version Germany/Austria

S879A Bordliteratur deutsch On-board vehicle literature German

:P
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

resunoiz wrote:I'm not sure of it and if it varies in some parts of the world, but is an hipotesys of why you have the "correct" configuration for the AC-zeds ;)
Surely the reason he has the correct configuration for a AC-equipped Zed is that he has an AC-equipped Zed? :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Unless, like me, you have an M44 with aircon but have one big electric fan where the viscous one is on your car.
So you not only have a black car (I like), red interior (I like), air conditioning (uncommon in an M44) and instead of a funny temperature activated clutch fan you have a single sensible electric one – which probably qualifies as a slight performance upgrade – I’m jealous :x
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
resunoiz wrote:I'm not sure of it and if it varies in some parts of the world, but is an hipotesys of why you have the "correct" configuration for the AC-zeds ;)
Surely the reason he has the correct configuration for a AC-equipped Zed is that he has an AC-equipped Zed? :)
mine WAS ac-equipped by factory, but was the so-called retrofit by the factory (the condition I marked as numer 3), and I have the electrical only fan :D

the AC was not a postmontage, the car came that way but straight before being sold :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Del wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:Unless, like me, you have an M44 with aircon but have one big electric fan where the viscous one is on your car.
So you not only have a black car (I like), red interior (I like), air conditioning (uncommon in an M44) and instead of a funny temperature activated clutch fan you have a single sensible electric one – which probably qualifies as a slight performance upgrade – I’m jealous :x

Well, if I ever decide to sell I'll know who to contact! :D
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

We've a 1997 M44 with air conditioning.Is it unusual or simply not something most people mention? Hardly gets the heart racing!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Phew!
I never thought such a simple question would generate so much heat - - probably why I've got two big ones and some of you only one?

Many thanks to 'resunoiz ' for the VIN number link - I found out all sorts of info about my car as supplied. For example, it originally had a black roof - but now it's blue which would also explain why I have a permanently sewn in back window rather than a BMW zipped in. It apparently had a 6 CD changer in the boot - well, it hasn't now (not that I want one of course). The wheels are different, but I changed those. It also has a 'Battery Master Switch', I assume this allows battery isolation without disconnecting leads but where is it?
Oh, and the info confirms, my Zed was not an import.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

John1950 wrote:Phew!
I never thought such a simple question would generate so much heat - - probably why I've got two big ones and some of you only one?

Many thanks to 'resunoiz ' for the VIN number link - I found out all sorts of info about my car as supplied. For example, it originally had a black roof - but now it's blue which would also explain why I have a permanently sewn in back window rather than a BMW zipped in. It apparently had a 6 CD changer in the boot - well, it hasn't now (not that I want one of course). The wheels are different, but I changed those. It also has a 'Battery Master Switch', I assume this allows battery isolation without disconnecting leads but where is it?
Can we call you John 2 fans from now on?

The 'BEAST' 666
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Badman gee wrote:

Can we call you John 2 fans from now on?
Johnny 2 fans? - sounds awfully personal!
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

glad to have helped :)

the battery master switch is in my scheme too, and was on E46 too...but never sorted out waht is :lol:
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Think its in the boot under the mat, used for shipment purposes I believe
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

stupot50 wrote:

Think its in the boot under the mat, used for shipment purposes I believe
searched, but didn't found it in ANY cars :P

many forum threads say that is something, as you says, for shipment purposes that is generally removed by the dealer before selling the car.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

resunoiz wrote:many forum threads say that is something, as you says, for shipment purposes that is generally removed by the dealer before selling the car.
That is my belief also - it is fitted to the car prior to transatlantic shipping to isolate the battery and presumably reduce the risk of fire on the ship - it will be removed on arrival so that the car can be driven.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Robert T wrote:
resunoiz wrote:many forum threads say that is something, as you says, for shipment purposes that is generally removed by the dealer before selling the car.
That is my belief also - it is fitted to the car prior to transatlantic shipping to isolate the battery and presumably reduce the risk of fire on the ship - it will be removed on arrival so that the car can be driven.

Cheers R.

Ah, I see. So I shouldn't feel short changed then....
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Come off it - air con was factory fitted - can you imagine the problems of retro-fitting the A/C evaporator into the heater?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mike air con can be retrofitted. I don't know about Row but I would guess not very common in UK to retrofit them.

I almost bought an e36 which the dealer offered to retrofit aircon as part of the deal (and leather)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - air con CAN be retrofitted - but the statement that on new cars it was dealer-fitted is utter nonsense!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!