Cannot connect to 20pin odb port under bonnet.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cannot connect to 20pin odb port under bonnet.

Post by Keynun »

Hello,

I keep getting "link failed" and other similar errors. I have tried to connect to the car with an Autel diagnostics machine (It's a cheapo odb2 scanner). I have also had a family member in the RAC try to scan for codes, it has also failed to connect (they use panasonic branded laptop I believe?, not sure on the system they use).

I'm in dire need of a scan without paying someone over the top as my ABS/traction light has just came on and i can see feel misfire too. I was thinking of trying out the BMTECHNIC system with my laptop, but does anyone know why these systems cannot connect? They power up fine and detect power from the 20pin, so it's definitely doing something. I'm using a 16pin>20pin ebay adapter fyi.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Cannot connect to 20pin odb port under bonnet.

Post by Robert T »

First thing to check is that you had the ignition on - my software recognises when the ignition is on/off, but it won't talk to the modules until it is on - position II if memory serves. If you've tried that, then it is not impossible for the diagnostic link simply not to be working full stop, so I would be wary of spunking money on yet more diagnostic kit until you establish that it is working.

We have a few members down South with diagnostic kit (which we know works on the zeds) who may be able to help you out. See: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36055

We may also have some more to add to the list by now as well, who may be nearer you.

The adapter cable that comes with the BMTechnic cable is not that sophisticated - it only has a few connections - but I do recall that it connected a couple of pins together, which if your ebay lead doesn't do this, might lead to it not working. Did you use the same lead with the laptop?

As I say, best to try someone else's that you know works on a similar zed, and the buy one for yourself with confidence.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Robert T wrote: so I would be wary of spunking money on yet more diagnostic kit until you establish that it is working.

Cheers R.
:shock: oops :wink:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If the Autel scanner is a generic OBDII scanner, it won't connect to your car. Yes, you can make a physical connection using an adapter, but the 20 pin port isn't a generic OBDII port so you won't get any connection.

As Robert suggests, you need the BMTechnic solution (or similar) that is designed to connect to a BMW 20 pin diagnostic port.