Alloy Wheel Refurb (All 4 Wheels Off)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ian T

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Alloy Wheel Refurb (All 4 Wheels Off)

Post by Ian T »

I want to get all 4 alloy wheels refurbished.
This means getting all 4 wheels off the car at the same time to be cost effective and practical.
I have read some similar posts on hear and I'm still not 100% convinced of the processes involved in using axle stands.
I have access to a trolley jack (2 ton I am told)
I have access to 4 x 2 ton ratchet axle stands.
Car will be on my drive way with all 4 wheels off, so I don't want to have to leave it on the trolley jack as that will only encourage the idiots !

Where do I jack so I can put stands under the actual jacking points?

Is it better to jack on the jacking points and then use stands under "other" locations, and if so, where?

I could take the car to the refurb centre but although it appears to be a secure location, I don't really want to leave it there for 3 or 4 days.

I don't particularly want to use wooden blocks as I have seen in other posts as the axle stands have a 2 ton rating whereas a chunk of wood doesn't, even though railway sleepers are strong I don't think they will fit under a Z3 !
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Alloy Wheel Refurb (All 4 Wheels Off)

Post by Lewy »

Where you based Ian?
Ian T

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ian T »

Shropshire
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Mate I'm in Wolverhampton, I have a spare set of Z wheels. You are most welcome to use them whilst your wheels are in refurb.

I use a company in Cannock who are excellent - JP Alloys. I think £50 per corner incl stripped, keyed, powder coated, tyres back on and balanced. Can't recommend them enough (the company is nothing to do with me though).

Regardless of who you choose, the offer's there mate, you're welcome to use my spare set.
Ian T

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ian T »

Thanks for the offer.
I'll check with the boss as its her car.
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

place I use turns them around in a day drop car of at 9.00 and pick it up at 4.00 all four wheels done they only take an hour in the oven maybe a couple of hours removing scuffs in the lathe and stripping them .they do three or four cars a day :?