rear window fix

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

rear window fix

Post by littlefeller »

so I now have a new rear window, but I am still going to have a play around with the original window. this isn't the cool idea I had a couple of weeks back (im keeping that to myself till I have ironed out a couple of details).
so the intention is to remove/cut the old window while in situe leaving a small edge for the new rubber window to attach too.
marker with a spacer attached and the nib poking out like this -Image
keeping the spacer up against the weather seal around the window like this -Image
here is the replacement material, its like rubber/vinyl. Image
the original windows are slightly concave so im will use hot water on the rubber while it sits on top of the old window (before cutting) to take shape.
then cut along marker line and remove old window, lay removed window on top of the rubber and using the same marker with the spacer, run the spacer around the old window leaving an almost exact size drawn onto the rubber (this is where I am now).
tomorrows tasks are - attach with sealer to the small ledge left in the hood. will post pics as I go. :shock: :shock: :twisted:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: rear window fix

Post by Del »

Looks like a bit of ingenious lateral thinking underway – no harm in trying something new if the existing window is terminal.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yep got a split in it, the previous owner tried to put the roof down without making sure the window was bending correctly, they go quite hard after a time. hopefully the rubber will be good, not so good for the chaps who now have a z3 shaped hole in there powered warehouse door :P hopefully they wont switch it on till autum, by then hopefully my rear window will have weathered abit to disguise its true identity :puzzle:
Last edited by littlefeller on Sun 19 May, 2013 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

:o wow i want to see the pics, then I might show you my rear window repair job
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

will post the pics as I go tomorrow (weather depending). fingers crossed I wont need the hassle of fitting the replacement window yet, first I am hoping to test some of the sealers first :) aand test some ideas along the way. would be a good idea if others posted there attemps too, then we can have a list of what not to do as well as current trials (window repairs still going strong)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

well a few things learned. 1 did it work - errr no.
reason - I shouldn't have cut the window out first :evil:
2 it would work if you cut the window after install, however the way the window (what was left - about 1/2 inch) folded in on itself suggests sealer wouldn't hold, maybe for a short time but with constant wetting and drying of the roof then I would suspect it wouldn't last. didn't realise how much tension the window was under.
3. its a damn sight easyer to fit the zip window than folk make out, I duno maybe its an individual thing but it only took me about 15 min (ok I havnt stuck the top back into the seal yet, only tucked it in, suppose this will take another half hour tops) and this was on my own. slight cheat though, I didn't use the staples supplied (as yes this would require two people) , instead I used fishing braid and sowed it through to stop the zip from popping.
still, never mind, a few things learned by myself (some one once said - almost everyone see's but only a few will actually observe). :)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

oh yes thought I would point out - the 15min fitting was just fitting as the window was already removed, so you could say (with removal too) about half hour which would be in line with other zeders who have fitted there own window. :) some places quote 3 hours :shock: but then that may also include the time for the sealer to set for the tucked in edges, suppose they wouldn't want you lowering the top with it being just applied. found a place in Coventry that will supply and fit for £120 :P not bad when you consider the cost of an oem part, they prob use a pattern part but its still only £40 more than the ebay fit yourself windows but without the hassle :)
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

What sealer is used to tuck the edges in? Mine are coming out and just seem to have double sided tape holding it in. I am having to tuck the edges in after every time I have the roof down.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Zed Free wrote:What sealer is used to tuck the edges in? Mine are coming out and just seem to have double sided tape holding it in. I am having to tuck the edges in after every time I have the roof down.
Do you mean where the fabric tucks under the window bead? I used rubber cement - the same stuff that puncture repair kits use.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Yes that is the place. I didn't want to use a glue that is too permanent incase I need to change the window in the future. Does the rubber glue come apart if needed?
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Zed Free wrote:Yes that is the place. I didn't want to use a glue that is too permanent incase I need to change the window in the future. Does the rubber glue come apart if needed?
Black silicon sealant works a treat :)
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Zed Free wrote:Yes that is the place. I didn't want to use a glue that is too permanent incase I need to change the window in the future. Does the rubber glue come apart if needed?

Yes, it does. I think it's pretty similar to the glue that BMW use. I stayed away from silicon as I was concerned about getting it off in future if needed.