Oil change - car too low ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Oil change - car too low ?

Post by gedo »

Went to change the oil today (for the 1st time since I've had the car) thinking it'd be a breeze and found the following issues:

Drain plug will be a major pita to reach (2.8 M52)
I can't fit anything under the car to catch the old oil !

Basically the front end is too low for any of my usual oil-catching devices...Can anyone give me any suggestions on what you are using for the job ?
With this issue and the fact that I'd need 3ft long arms to remove the drain plug it looks to me like a job for a ramp.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Oil change - car too low ?

Post by Gareth 161 »

Drove mine on to a couple of short planks just to raise it those vital extra few inches.Used a jack to raise side where sump plug is to loosen then lowered whilst draining.
All much simpler than I anticipated and will be doing all my own oil changes from now on.It is also worth changing the 2 small o rings when doing the filter as again very easy & cheap.
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I use one of these (Pela 6000). Some people aren’t keen on these vacuum pumps but personally I find it brilliant. It’s essential to do it when the oil is nice and hot so that it flows freely and any sludge is melted and mixed in. It is so easy that it’s a breeze to change the oil more frequently and so care for the engine even more. For those wondering whether it gets all the old oil out, all I can say is that I changed mine by this method last November and the oil on the dispstick still looks like honey. :P

http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

I use an old cat litter tray to drain the oil into, raise drivers side to undo drain plug then drop it back down again to drain.
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Luckily my neighbour has a car lift (used to rally a Morgan) so I used that :D
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Thanks for all the advice guys !
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Don't forget to remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug, just in case you cannot unscrew the filler plug and are left with an empty sump with no means to put new oil in! I ended up using a breaker bar to undo my plugs they were so tight!

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Buy a decent trolley jack for about £35 in Halfords. Two of them are even more useful for various jobs.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I changed gearbox oil with small stands!

A lot harder than the engine oil!

The 'BEAST' 666
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hard gearbox oil? :shock: How did you get it out of the drain hole? Hmm...... :rtm:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.