Couple of problems, help needed.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alan36

Z3 roadster 1.9

Couple of problems, help needed.

Post by alan36 »

Car failed its MOT on the horn u/s and the drivers side wing indicator not working.

1st off where is the horn. I can hear it at the passenger side front but I cant see it anywhere.

And I have tried a new bulb in the indicator but its still not working. What can I do now to get this working.

All help appreciated.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Couple of problems, help needed.

Post by Southernboy »

Not sure about the horn on your 1.9, but mine is located below the airfilter box on the passenger side, and it has another on the right in aprox the same / opposoite position...The light fitting may be faulty or you have a broken wire / connection. Check the wiring back to where it joins into the larger loom for breakage...clean the metal contacts of the light fitting...check the fuses...I seem to recall that the left and right sides have separate fuses. These wires are very thin, and it may be that it has broken....if you follow it back to where it integrates into the larger loom area, and use two sewing pins to push through the plastic of each wire covering, then use a small 12v bulb to check if there is current at that point by touching one pin to the negative of the bulb, and one to the positive of the bulb...if there is, then the fault will be between there and the light fitting. I doubt it would be any further back in the wiring system, as that is generally very well insulated etc.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
alan36

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by alan36 »

Does this mean I need to remove the inner wheel arch lining to get to the wiring.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I don't think it's required to remove the wheel arch, but if so, it's a simple task with the car up and the wheel removed.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

If you can hear the horn, why did it fail the m.o.t ?

sent by stevie_a by taptalk
alan36

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by alan36 »

It sounded like a strangled cat, very muffled.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

If it is the same as my 98 1.9 you will have a twin horn system - one situated in each wheel arch - if you can hear the passenger one you need to look at/listen to the other side. They are situated in the voids between the wheel arch liners and front bumper and are mounted on brackets on the engine compartment outer walls. As far as I can remember they are are hard wired and I think off the same fuse.

To access them you will need to to disconnect the front end of the liner at least and pull it back.

If you end up taking the full liner out then it is worth also inspecting the brake pipes where they pass through the clip in carrier behind the liner. The MOT inspector cannot see this area and it is a corrosion point.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

alan36

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by alan36 »

Ok horn replaced, thanks for the pointers. Now for the repeater. The problem I have is that it looks like I need to remove the panel that the lamp is fixed too to maybe see some more wiring. Is this correct. I cant seem to see where the wiring goes to.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

alan36 wrote:Ok horn replaced, thanks for the pointers. Now for the repeater. The problem I have is that it looks like I need to remove the panel that the lamp is fixed too to maybe see some more wiring. Is this correct. I cant seem to see where the wiring goes to.
Have you tested the wires with a multimeter to see if you are getting voltage, could just be a dodgy repeater fitting/ground?

Two wires will be going to the fitting, a ground (see pic below X166) and a feed, it will be easy to test for continuity for the ground wire between the terminal and repeater fitting.

The feed wire is spliced in to the loom around the fuse box area. To get to the loom behind the side panel you will have to either prise back or remove the wheel arch liner as the cable is situated toward the rear of the front wheel well.