Raid Steering Wheel Bits

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
barbancourt

Not specified

Raid Steering Wheel Bits

Post by barbancourt »

I bought a Raid steering wheel today, fully knowing I was going to get killed on the accessories to install it. Looking around on the interwebs, the Z3 hub is like 80 Euros, but if I just search for E36 Raid hub, it's like 40 Euros. Will the generic E36 adapter work for the Z3?

Such as:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E31-E36-LENK ... 33822d72a5

Also, anyone know of a good source for ordering the harness? I'd prefer not to hack up my OEM wiring. They are selling them for over 70 Euros also! 150 Euros for a hub adapter and harness? Are they mad?
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Raid Steering Wheel Bits

Post by Southernboy »

Perhaps you can put the question to Raid suppliers...? The Z3 has many E36 components, so it's likeley it will fit.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

What type of RAID wheel are you talking about? Their airbag wheel is integral withthe boss.

Why do you want to spend money? The RAID E36 wiring is so simple that you could make one for under an Euro, being basically a means of joining the single pair of horn wires to the two horn pushes on the RAID wheel.

Even if you cannot solder, crimps - if done properly - will do.

A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Last edited by BladeRunner919 on Wed 05 Jun, 2013 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I forgot about the little adaptor ring - which should be pretty cheap from RDI (the makers of RAID equipment) A lot of Ebay vendors ask more than the makers.

There is no need to modifiy the original wiring, which just pokes through the boss and joins to the airbag in the normal manner, and to the twin horn pushes via a splitter.

I'm confused about the reference to a Z4 wheel - who mentioned Z4 - or am I missing something?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Bear in mind that you have a Z4 steering wheel, so there may have already been some 'tweaks' to the original Z3 wiring - I'm not sure what's involved in the Z4? Southernboy can probably answer that.
Doesn't look Z4 to me, well not in the signature pic

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I think fitting a RAID steering wheel is a mod I would like to do but have never seen one come up for sale second hand.
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I'm confused about the reference to a Z4 wheel - who mentioned Z4 - or am I missing something?
Is this what they're talking about or is that a Std Z3 wheel ? Looks different to mine...

barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Brian H wrote:I think fitting a RAID steering wheel is a mod I would like to do but have never seen one come up for sale second hand.
They pop up on Ebay.de from time to time.
ImageImageImage
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

gedo wrote:
Mike Fishwick wrote:I'm confused about the reference to a Z4 wheel - who mentioned Z4 - or am I missing something?
Is this what they're talking about or is that a Std Z3 wheel ? Looks different to mine...

That is a Z3 wheel. That design was fitted to some facelift models as the basic steering wheel. It looks similar to wheels fitted in the Z4 and E46, but the back of it that connects to the hub will be Z3 fitment, not Z4 or E46.
ImageImageImage
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I forgot about the little adaptor ring - which should be pretty cheap from RDI (the makers of RAID equipment) A lot of Ebay vendors ask more than the makers.

There is no need to modifiy the original wiring, which just pokes through the boss and joins to the airbag in the normal manner, and to the twin horn pushes via a splitter.

I'm confused about the reference to a Z4 wheel - who mentioned Z4 - or am I missing something?
That ring (hub adapter) is part of the equation, but I have a 2 stage airbag so the wiring will need to be modified. I need the hub adapter and wiring harness. I am confident in my ability to rewire the wheel, but I'd prefer not to cut the factory harness if I don't have to.

And no it's not cheap from RDI.

Wheel is a Raid Silberpfeil 340mm.

ImageImageImage
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

I would send jonttt an message because he has done exactly what you want to do I believe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

G2JRP wrote:I would send jonttt an message because he has done exactly what you want to do I believe

Jonttt can kiss my a** because it's his fault I spent the money on the steering wheel in the first place. :D
ImageImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If you have a post 04/99 ie 2 stage system just follow my tutorial on the knowledge base.
The hub adaptor will cost you c 80 euro even direct from rdi. I'm not sure if the e36 will fit but if there is a big enough price differential drop them an email.
I would not buy the two stage adaptor as you will still need to cut the oem harness. Just get a resistor as per my thread for the second circuit.
Fit spade connectors as I did and it's an easy swap back if needed.

I've just done the raid swap on my porsche and prices have definitely come down for the wheels. Anyone interested in them look up carnewal in Belgium who is a porsche supplier.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

I have a carnewal exhaust on my boxster very good quality. Gert is said to be very helpful

ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Gert is a gent
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My comment regrading the lack of necessity to cut the wiring was based on a single-stage airbag, such as on my Z3, and most others.

It would have helped a lot if we had been given the full story from the beginning - the type of wheel, and your car having a two-stage airbag system.

What else are we not being told? Wait for the next instalment in this mystery tale!
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Mike Fishwick wrote:My comment regrading the lack of necessity to cut the wiring was based on a single-stage airbag, such as on my Z3, and most others.

It would have helped a lot if we had been given the full story from the beginning - the type of wheel, and your car having a two-stage airbag system.

What else are we not being told? Wait for the next instalment in this mystery tale!
Haha. I think that is a tad bit hyperbolic to call it a mystery tale. I'll figure it out though. Thanks Mike and others.
ImageImageImage
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

I don't get this raid steering wheel, reminds me of a ford steering wheel!

Just saying....

:roll:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Ford? Well, it's circular too!

Seriously though, the company who make the basic wheel structure also make wheels for Ford, but unless anyone is a steering wheel snob, that is nothing to worry about. I think the leather covering is done in Hungary. When I fitted one, about 8 years ago, people were horrified that it did not have a BMW logo on it, and that - horror of horrors - the RAID logo is oval, just like Ford! Isn't it funny how such details do not upset the owners of Weismann sports cars?

Against such 'major' problems, it has a decently-shaped and thicker rim, and is a little smaller than the original BMW item - which even if it does have an M badge on it, is a disaster on long runs, particularly due to the hard pieces of plastic positioned at the ends of the spokes, just where they dig into one's thumbs.

It's a pity that BMW do not offer the RAID wheel as an over-priced option, for then the purists would tell us what wonderful steering wheels they are!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Fozzfox72 wrote:I don't get this raid steering wheel
+1 personally prefer a professionally refurbished BMW one. The common criticism of the OE one has always been that it is slightly too big.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......The OEM one is a little large...driving was always a matter of one knee one side of the wheel, and the other on the opposite side of the wheel...OK in summer with shorts on...but a tad chill on the willy in winter...The Z4 steering wheel is considerably smaller, and thicker....and still has a BMW badge in the middle... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Del wrote:
Fozzfox72 wrote:I don't get this raid steering wheel
+1 personally prefer a professionally refurbished BMW one. The common criticism of the OE one has always been that it is slightly too big.
And a refurbished one is still too big :head: you can make it thicker but not smaller without major surgery.

Raid wheels have various branding and the aitawa version is a recognised porsche tuner upgrade by gumbella etc. to not beat around the bush they are far far better quality than the BMW version. The fact you can get them in what should have been the correct diameter ie 340mm for a Z3 is the icing on the cake.

I'm guessing you have never actually driven a Z3 with a 340mm wheel fitted :roll:

Nothing wrong with the refurbished options which end up thicker than OEM as a cheaper but ultimately second rate upgrade IMHO (and yes I have driven 3 cars with the royal steering wheel refurbs but only one was a Z3)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Jonttt wrote:I'm guessing you have never actually driven a Z3 with a 340mm wheel fitted
Next time I drive a sports car I'll remember to take a metal rule with me :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Del wrote:
Jonttt wrote:I'm guessing you have never actually driven a Z3 with a 340mm wheel fitted
Next time I drive a sports car I'll remember to take a metal rule with me :D
Believe me you won't need one, the improvement is that obvious 8-)
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Snob!!!

:roflmao:

anyway just saying, purist maybe, my steering wheel like many on here is the M3 badge upgrade, tad big maybe granted but raid replacement?

check the link kinda similar, and not just the shape, although thanks for pointing out the similarity! :shrug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0MDd8EF6FM
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

No, no, no that’s one of those ghastly Ford steering wheels and looks to be around 345mm - satisfactory only for nipping down to Tesco. If you’re going to successfully negotiate the mini roundabout at Waitrose (complete with award-winning floral display) you just must have a 340mm steering wheel. :roflmao:
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Exactly...

i rest my case me lud!
:wave :roflmao:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks more like a BMW wheel than the bus wheel to me lol

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Looks very nice - no more teasing from me :cheers
barbancourt

Not specified

UPDATE

Post by barbancourt »

I've had the steering wheel in possession for about a week deciding what to do with it. I paid 300 Euros for it, but it arrived in worse condition than the pictures showed. It's not completely gone, but there is some unsightly leather wear on the top and sides that I would have stopped me from paying that amount for it. I'd rather spend 400 Euros for a mint wheel, than 300 Euros for one that needs restoration. I feel the rest of the car is too nice to put in a tired looking steering wheel in it.

I've sent a requested a partial refund to cover restoration costs, or I'm sending it back and starting over.
ImageImageImage
barbancourt

Not specified

UPDATE #2

Post by barbancourt »

Seller on Ebay agreed to a 100 Euro partial refund. I think 200 Euro for a Raid Steering wheel is not too bad, even if I have to do some minor cosmetic repair to the leather. Next up is the hub adapter purchase and wiring!
ImageImageImage