Possible clutch problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Possible clutch problems

Post by z3steve »

Evening all, I seem to be having a problem with the clutch (I think) on the zed. I noticed last night that if you depress the clutch pedal (engine running), the engine noise changes. It did this before but now the noise is a lot more noticable.
Secondly when I dropped down to a gear and released the clutch pedal when doing so, the car judders for a very short time but its quite pronounced and noticable.
Now is this actually the clutch on its way out? Any advice would be great!! Potential costs would be helpful too.

Thanks

Steve
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Possible clutch problems

Post by pedro20001 »

Hi, regarding cost, I have been quoted £288 for clutch and £520 all in if i need a new dual mass flywheel. This is in the midlands. Does initially sound like clutch release bearing issue :(
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Hi thanks for the reply. Is my car gonna fall apart if I carry on driving it?!!

Also the quote you got, was that at an independant garage or somewhere like Mr. Clutch?

Cheers, Steve
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

I had a similar problem 7 had a new clutch and DMf fitted at my local independent £778 inc vat see this post http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=800 post number 10

Mod Edit: Link fixed to refer to correct forum url. Houdini, please, please use the zroadster.net name to access the forum and not the IP address - this is a hangover from when I moved the server over a year ago! R.
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Got the car booked in at my local Mr. Clutch on Friday, new clutch and gear oil change for £425 approx. Nothing was mentioned about fly wheel so will see what happens!

I'll keep you posted but thanks for the replies so far!

Cheers, Steve
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

just wondering how the clutch is?
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

Hi all picked up yesterday and its 100% better than it was, no noises or judders. They did the gearbox oil too and its amazing how quiet it is now. Aparently the fly wheel was within 'parameters' so nothing had to be done there. So all in all a very good job by Mr. Clutch in Tunbridge Wells. Lloyd who is the manager is a top bloke and knows what hes doing.
Clutch was replaced from the same manufacturer as the original if that makes any difference. 2 year / 20000mile warranty.

£423.88 for all work supplied and fitted.

Cheers, Steve
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Nice one, had my gearbox oil changed on saturday and along with a storm v1 gearknob, the shift has improved no end :D
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

pedro20001 wrote:Nice one, had my gearbox oil changed on saturday and along with a storm v1 gearknob, the shift has improved no end :D
Well I was planning on doing the gearbox oil before the clutch decided to play up but when they offered to do it for £25 I thought why not? Saved me a job and I probably would have cocked it up somehow anyway lol

But yeah, really happy - it got worse fairly rapidly not sure how much longer it would have lasted. Apparently it was the original clutch so not bad for 173k miles!

Glad yours is better too.....

Cheers,Steve