Carbon Fibre Badges

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Carbon Fibre Badges

Post by eyerisk »

Help....

I ordered a full set of black carbon fibre badges from eBay (Wheel Cap Shop)

I replaced the bonnet, very pleased then the problems started.....

Boot badge is completely different size and pins, the boot badge supplied is identical to the bonnet?

No side gill badges supplied, the ones removed look the same as the rear boot I have removed???

The the wheel badges supplied are the right size, but the lip between the lugs and the edge of the badge is completely different. Thus I have already snapped the lugs on one badge trying to make them fit.....Arrrrrr

Soooooo...

Should I be asking for a replacement boot badge?
Has anyone else experienced these problems?
Can anyone recommend a decent seller who can help???

I have a 97, 2.8ltr roadster?

Cheers

Ian
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Carbon Fibre Badges

Post by Lewy »

Hi Ian, your bonnet badge will fit nicely with the two lugs and feels quite a tight fit however the rear badge and side gills badges are slightly smaller IIRC and rely on double sided tape to actually stay in place. Whilst these slightly smaller badges appear to have two lugs for fitting they don't actually appear to 'grab' and are very fragile and you will need some decent double sided which is usually supplied with the badge- also ensure that both surfaces are clean. If they have got 3m sticky stuff on the back and it's the right size but the lugs are in the wrong place then just whip the lugs off with a blade and stick it on, it shouldn't come back off.
nash

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nash »

I had the same problem when I ordered them for my old e46, used double sided tape but wasn't a great hold,
In the end I snapped the pins off and put a small amount of bathroom silicone behind the badges and stuck them on
It gives a firm fit and wont damage the paint if you ever need/want to take them off
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I know pictures paint a thousand words......so some pics to better explain my problem. Not really sure I have the answers yet but thanks to Lewy and Nash for their comments

The first pic the new badges I am trying to fit

The next pic shows how narrow the lip is from the clip to the edge of the badge, my current wheel badges the lip measures around 6mm (sorry forgot to take a pic) the new badges have around 3mm as shown.

This pic show the badge removed from the boot, plus a pic with the measurement.........I reckon 78mm ?? I have taken the plunge and ordered another set at this size, although the seller refers to side vent badges.....are these the same as the boot??

Any help or guidance towards a seller who can provide the Carbon Fibre badges and understands what sizes I actually need would be great, my main frustration is the wheel badges and finding ones with the correct lip dimension...???

At present the poor Z is driving around with black masking tape badges at the mo.... :|

Cheers

Ian
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

There's a guy in the UK called Ian Clifton, he supplies all the badges his email address is Ianrclifton1234@aol.com

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I bought a set some 6 months back...But I first measured the OEM badges, and then sent the seller the details of the measurements and asked for confirmation that he had the correct sizes before ordering. All the items he sent were correct on arrival. I have noticed that sellers on eBay specify the badge position (hood or trunk) and the size in mm's. Also the wheel center caps are specified in size by mm's. You need to check with the seller that the badges fit before ordering, and that they will fit OEM wheels. If you've done that, and he sends incorrect goods, you can claim via eBay and have a refund. I bought mine from a seller in the USA.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Captain wrote:There's a guy in the UK called Ian Clifton, he supplies all the badges his email address is Ianrclifton1234@aol.com

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
I can vouch for this guy too, always bought my badges and other bits from him and always received good service and products. :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

^ +1 always had good service from him.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
nash

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nash »

Sorry just re read, mine where a good fit on the wheels, I just had to work the bonnet and boot badges in my case
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol