Ref Mirror repairs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Ref Mirror repairs

Post by geordie90 »

Hi all just got bits from guy in Germany for repair to mirror.

He manufactures the innards in high strength plastic and also supplies the base in the colour of your choice, a new spring and bolt assembly and a replacement for the old aluminium mirror motor holder(normally the bit that snaps) for just over 100 quid. if your outer casing is ok this is a cost effective way of fixing the perenial mirror problem. Why buy a second hand one which in reality is likely to be corroded when you can buy basically the whole new base and innards of the mirror.

I will post his email address soon but he is also on 'Wats App' and speaks very good English.

I ordered mine on Friday last and recieved it yesterday(Wednesday) from Germany, ten minutes later I was sporting a newly refurbished mirror.....result.

Any questions please dont hesitate to send me a pm

Craig
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Ref Mirror repairs

Post by Brian H »

Good to hear some feedback from someone that has used this product, It certainly is a good option when your mirror is passed fixing.

Did you manage to get any pictures of the parts?

Brian
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, would be great to see some pictures - as this is such a common problem I expect everyone would like to see how this works out!
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

I purchased both door mirrors in the colour i required from a breakers in Manchester for £250.Surely this is a more cost effective way than buying bits for £100+.I understand the thinking but not the price paid.Imho,it's good information but the price seems high.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

geminimustang wrote:I purchased both door mirrors in the colour i required from a breakers in Manchester for £250.Surely this is a more cost effective way than buying bits for £100+.I understand the thinking but not the price paid.Imho,it's good information but the price seems high.
I suppose that if you can find perfect mirrors in the right colour, you're probably right. But the second hand ones are still old and prone to breaking too, and if you can't find your colour you may have paint costs too.
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

exactly my view i got nw innards which are not 9-14 years old.

I think the cost is reasonable tbh

Considering individual mirrors are on fleabay for 176 quid and could snap as you install them due to age.

Craig
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Good news!! And how much would cost a complete Mirror?? painted at the right colour of course!
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

Ill post his email addy when i get in and you can contact him pierrick.

He also offers a repair service to your old mirror

Craig
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'd be interested to hear some more feedback on this. I looked at some pictures of it a little while ago and it looked nicely made. I am similarly concerned that replacing a broken mirror with one off a similar aged vehicle is likely to be a false economy, as the replacement is likely to be just as corroded and therefore weakened. A plastic insert will be a permanent fix as the plastic won't corrode. It is only a matter of time before the ones on my car go, and I am considering whether to buy a pair of these whilst they are available. They do sound a little pricier than I'd hoped though.

The website I was looking at is here: http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I agree the price is a little high but I suppose there will not be a huge amount sold to aid in lowering the price. The parts look to be moulded from OEM so they should be a good fit. IIRC he has parts for standard and ///M mirrors.
Last edited by Brian H on Thu 20 Jun, 2013 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I have been in touch with him about a near side mirror base and need to chase his up but work load has prevented it.

English translation of his site

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ml&act=url
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

Hi all again.

I think the price is proportionate tbh you get a new base, in moulded plastic , which is sprayed to your chosen colour using your paint code, this will not corrode, you also get a new spring and bolt assembly as well as the plastic, replacement for the aluminium mirror holder.

I was even thinking of replacing the drivers side before it gets the chance to get damaged. I think for two hundred quid roughly its a long term solution for a common problem.

The website and email addresses above are the company i used. His name is Udo and he is a very pleasnat man to do business with.

Craig
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think that looks great.

Actually reminds me of another idea I had regarding mirrors - there was a post a while back on bimmerforums where a chap had fitted mirrors from a Mini onto a Z3. They aren't dissimilar to the ///M Roadster/Coupe mirrors but are much cheaper and in plentiful supply. He had custom fitted the mirror base to the Z3 door by basically grinding away the base to match the profile of the door.

It occurred to me that if someone made a replacement swivel base for the Mini mirrors that was designed to fit the Z3 door, that would be a pretty neat solution?