Where to put a 2nd 12V Car Battery....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Where to put a 2nd 12V Car Battery....

Post by dallantan »

Any ideas anyone? - Must not be in boot (unless you can suggest a real low battery that will fit at the rear of the boot (ideally lower than 4" in height)).

Ideally, this must be approx 600+ AMPS and must be 12V.

Any ideas anyone??
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Where to put a 2nd 12V Car Battery....

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I believe that the very first Z3s had the battery under the bonnet, so I guess it's do-able. Especially if you look at a small form-factor battery, eg http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680mjt.htm
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You could remove the somewhat oversized windscreen washer reservoir and buil a stable platform there for a decent battery. Re-locate a smaller reservoir to he right of the air intake filter housing. If you have a Simota fitted, you should have more than adequate space there. The water /washer reservoir is ridiculously oversized...consider the number of times you refill it from one time to the next...weeks...months...ever??? A small plastic container about 1/4 the size will do. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I did find this blog which includes some battery fitment options under the bonnet:

http://evz3.blogspot.co.uk/2010_06_01_archive.html
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Wow!!! An electric Z3!! I 'll read this later on!
nash

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nash »

you can fit 2 small bateries instead of the large one, somwthing like batteries from an MX5 should fit
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

My daft question is why do you need two car batteries?
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Question I have is how long do you need it to supply 600+ amps at 12V?
I run a fleet of electric boats in France each having 600 Amp Hours of lead/Acid traction batteries. I cant see a Zed hauling that around in reality.
What do you need the additional battery for?
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

geminimustang wrote:My daft question is why do you need two car batteries?

Im having the next battery for my hydraulics.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

dallantan wrote:
geminimustang wrote:My daft question is why do you need two car batteries?

Im having the next battery for my hydraulics.
The techies will be along shortly to explain,i'm sure,but a car battery is designed to deliver a quick,sharp burst of power to start an engine.I'd have thought what you need as a second battery is a leisure battery.Two car batteries fitted in line can can complicated with charge and discharge and mess up an alternator so it's not as easy or as worthwhile as it suggests.Some fit a second alternator to supply a second battery which shows how complicated it can get.Good thread,interesting,i'll keep reading your progress.Good luck,