spare wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Leadpipelouie

Z3 roadster 2.2i

spare wheel

Post by Leadpipelouie »

Probably obvious but how do I access the spare wheel please ?
Off to France shortly and want to check it is man enough for the trip !!
Louie
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: spare wheel

Post by Lewy »

It's underneath the boot floor, opposite side to your exhaust. Assume it's accessible from underneath.

Depending on age, it's probably wise to check that the spare is still in good condition as they can corrode under there ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Instructions are printed on a label on the underside of the boot carpet.

There are two points to release the cage - one under the right hand storage cubby just behind the right hand tail lights - remove the plastic screw, lift out the cubby and undo the bolt underneath - the other is to the left of the battery - undo the nut using the little plastic handle on the line as a spanner - hold the handle firmly and push the spring clip together, you can then lower the handle till it touched the boot floor. The plastic try containing the wheel just slides out.

There valve has an extension on it to the outside of the plastic tray so you can check the pressure without removing the wheel, but if you haven't looked at it, then take it out check that it isn't corroded to pieces - the tyre may well also be the original, and I for one would not risk driving on 13 year old rubber.

Assembly is the reverse of removal. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

hi louie
i replaced our zeds spare a couple of months ago with robert t's help.
the size was 125/80r16 98m.it fits staright into the existing carrier
most helpful to me was walkers tyre centre leicester.
cost was £80 all but a few pence.
also replaced the supply hose as well as mine looked a bit rough £16 from sytner bmw.
i was the same as you our was 13 years old looked as good as new but as robert says i would not trust a 13 year old tyre.
just peace of mind. :)
good luck
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

PITA to get at spare,take out and refit.Definitely an afterthought from BMW.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Mine has the instructions with diagrams on the underside of the boot carpet, might be worth lifting the carpet and have a look.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

geminimustang wrote:PITA to get at spare,take out and refit.Definitely an afterthought from BMW.
It is a PITA the first time but then easy. The afterthought appears to be the protective cover they supplied because the removed wheel has to go inside the car - it won't fit in the carrier.

There are other threads on owners going for inflation kits and getting rid of the spare. The problem then is if you shred a tyre you are really stuck.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mine sits nicely in the boot, it doesn't really take up that much room and can still get everything in there as I did before :)

Seems a shame to buy a new wheel only for it to rust away under the car again. I find I'm more inclined to check the spare now with routine pressure checks than faffing.......correction, not bothering as before :oops:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The big question is...once you've removed the flat, and fitted the biscuit...what do you do with the flat...it won't fit into the boot, you'll need to take the roof down to put it on the front seat...and if you have a passenger...you're going to have a very uncomfortable passenger!!! The spare is a total waste of time...get a puncture repair kit, and a mini compressor....dump the spare wheel permanently in the garage. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:The big question is...once you've removed the flat, and fitted the biscuit...what do you do with the flat...it won't fit into the boot, you'll need to take the roof down to put it on the front seat...and if you have a passenger...you're going to have a very uncomfortable passenger!!! The spare is a total waste of time...get a puncture repair kit, and a mini compressor....dump the spare wheel permanently in the garage. :wink:
Put the flat in the boot and tie the lid down with a bungee. No puncture repair kit in the world will get you home if the tyre is shredded or slashed.

Tim.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, you're right Tim...but if you have 2 slashed tyre you're poked anyway...I've never ever had a punture, let alone a shredded tyre!....except the slow puncture of life, and we don't carry a spare.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Flat goes on the passenger seat in the bag provided. 99% of the time there is only myself in the car, so I don't see this as a big problem. You are really only looking to get your car, wheel and passenger back to civilisation anyway - space savers are not designed to be used for any great distance.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Robert T wrote:in the bag provided
This sounds like an accessory I haven't got and didn't know about :shock:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Why not fit runflats :lol:

Tim.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

TitanTim wrote:Why not fit runflats :lol:

Tim.
Expensive way round it :wink: but If he is off on holiday to France then presumably boot and passenger seat will already be occupied. Only sure way then is repair/inflation kit and keep the spare incase of a shredder. I know that's what I'll be doing next trip. :thumb:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Runflats are expensive and compromise the ride.Never met anybody who likes them.My neighbour got rid of his BMW, in part,due to cost of tyres and the ride.One puncture got him thinking.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Robert T wrote:Instructions are printed on a label on the underside of the boot carpet.

There are two points to release the cage - one under the right hand storage cubby just behind the right hand tail lights - remove the plastic screw, lift out the cubby and undo the bolt underneath - the other is to the left of the battery - undo the nut using the little plastic handle on the line as a spanner - hold the handle firmly and push the spring clip together, you can then lower the handle till it touched the boot floor. The plastic try containing the wheel just slides out.

There valve has an extension on it to the outside of the plastic tray so you can check the pressure without removing the wheel, but if you haven't looked at it, then take it out check that it isn't corroded to pieces - the tyre may well also be the original, and I for one would not risk driving on 13 year old rubber.

Assembly is the reverse of removal. :wink:

Cheers R.

Yep, what he said!

Use the funny little tool on the right (in my upside down picture!) and the extension bar on the left and the under try will drop right down.

To put back up, line up the wheel and the tray and then yank the funny handle pully thing and it will catch so that you just tighten up the 2 bolts.

Worth checking though- I just bought this one

this was my old one

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

I'm finally getting round to replacing my rusty spare.
The rusty one is a 125/90/15.
Would a 125/90/16 fit in the allocated storage space ?

Cheers , Stevie
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

stevietgr wrote:I'm finally getting round to replacing my rusty spare.
The rusty one is a 125/90/15.
Would a 125/90/16 fit in the allocated storage space ?
Afraid not. It will be 1 inch larger in diameter than the original. You would need to come down on the sidewall ratio from 90 to 80 to get a 16 inch wheel to fit (2*10%*125mm is approx 1 inch).

Cheers R.
stevietgr

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stevietgr »

Thanks for the speedy response.