Cold crank amp to start z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Cold crank amp to start z3

Post by dallantan »

Does anyone know what CCA is required?
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Cold crank amp to start z3

Post by OXO »

Depends on the temperature of the oil, and wether you dip the clutch. Probably about 400-600 amps.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

OXO wrote:Depends on the temperature of the oil, and wether you dip the clutch. Probably about 400-600 amps.
Pease advise further on this...
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

The higher the CCA,the better the kick when you turn the ignition key.Unfortunately,the higher the CCA,the higher the cost of the battery,generally.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

dallantan wrote:
OXO wrote:Depends on the temperature of the oil, and wether you dip the clutch. Probably about 400-600 amps.
Pease advise further on this...
Nothing to add really. If its cold, the oil is more viscous, therefore harder to rotate the crank in. Dipping the clutch saves the starter from turning the gearbox over as well, so it's better.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ahhhh, I see. I got it ;)

SO.....if I had two batteries linked in series, that held a higher CCA overall, this would be fine?
Dallan |07712 415 619

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

dallantan wrote:Ahhhh, I see. I got it ;)

SO.....if I had two batteries linked in series, that held a higher CCA overall, this would be fine?
Linked in parallel,and no,two batteries doesn't increase the CCA.Two batteries,in theory,are capable of holding more charge in reserve.In practice,one can drain into the other,one might not charge properly,there is a risk of fire.Far too complicated for me but others will be along shortly to set you straight.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

dallantan wrote:Ahhhh, I see. I got it ;)

Linked in series doubles the volts to 24 and that would do a lot of damage to the electronics.

You can link in parallel, but only for a short time, like when jump starting. As geminmustang says, there is a risk of fire if one of the batteries linked in parallel has a faulty cell, and it drains all the power from the good battery.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

If the additional battery is being used a lot when the ignition is off you'll need a split charge relay which ensures the starter battery isn't drained by the additional battery. Google "leisure battery wiring" and you should find what you're looking for. What's this battery being used for, or is it a secret :lol:
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread