OK dumb question, but it is my first BMW

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

OK dumb question, but it is my first BMW

Post by gas guzzler »

Keep seeing numbers like E34, M52 etc, I presume this has something to do with the engine. And when I go on ebay I get asked compatability between two models 1996-2000 or 1995-2003, both of which are 2.8 convertibles. Mine is a 1999 2.8 so what is it.
Sorry if it's a dumb question but never been into BMW's before and I've looked through all my paperwork and still none the wiser.

Cheers Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: OK dumb question, but it is my first BMW

Post by Brian H »

gas guzzler wrote:Keep seeing numbers like E34, M52 etc, I presume this has something to do with the engine. And when I go on ebay I get asked compatability between two models 1996-2000 or 1995-2003, both of which are 2.8 convertibles. Mine is a 1999 2.8 so what is it.
Sorry if it's a dumb question but never been into BMW's before and I've looked through all my paperwork and still none the wiser.

Cheers Andy
Not a dumb question Andy if you do not know :wink:

All BMWs have a model number, the first number you referred to is the model number, these are either E or F numbers. Z3s are E36/7, a list of all bmws is below.

E and F numbers

The second number you referred to was the engine type, I believe you will have a M52 engine in a 1999 2.8.

HTH
Last edited by Brian H on Fri 05 Jul, 2013 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Others will no doubt confirm but I believe you are driving an E36/7 fitted with a M52TU engine :D
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Further to other comments

Use this link http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and enter last 7 characters of your VIN to get your original spec.

For part numbers and diagrams enter your VIN into this link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/index.do
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Jonco wrote:Further to other comments

Use this link http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html and enter last 7 characters of your VIN to get your original spec.

I had forgotten about this site :thumb:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

English text version of the site :wink:
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Many thanks for the fast and informative replies. I hate being a newbie and not knowing stuff, I'm used to having at least some idea of what I'm doing. I'm working on my other car at the moment and with the front end stripped all the nuts and bolts piled in together but I'm sad enough to know where they all go without thinking about it :roll:

Cheers Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Something else to bear in mind when looking for parts is that throughout the production of the Z3, the car evolved in a few significant areas. The biggest and most noticeable change was what is termed the facelift (or asslift by the slightly less kind-hearted) - this happened in 04/99 - cars built* before then had flatter rear panels - cars built after had bulges giving the appearance of "hips". A lot of other components changed on the cars at that time, including a lot of interior components, connectors and switching from ASC to DSC. There were also a couple of other changes - at some point around 09/98 the instrument cluster changed to a later version and on your car at some point the VANOS changes from single to double. The best way to find what part you need is to use either bmwfans.info or realoem.com and type in the last seven digits of your VIN - finding things takes some getting used to and there are a few mistakes, but generally you can find out which part you need, and if you get stuck, you can always ask on here.

I am similarly trying to get my other car back on the road - engine has just been rebuilt and is finally back in the car, but there is still stuff to do before I can use it again.

Cheers R.

* build date is on a sticker on one of the front suspension strut towers
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I just think asslift is the most accurate way to describe it! Not meant to be derogatory at all old boy. :)

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.