what is going on ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
serow

Z3 roadster 2.8

what is going on ?

Post by serow »

While driving away 50 yards from home, the doors on my 1997 1.9 Z3 suddenly locked, the fuel guage showed zero, the temperature guage showed maximum. Turned back to the house, checked fuses, to find fuse 46 blown. Replaced fuse and car has been fine since.

What could this be?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kind regards

serow
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: what is going on ?

Post by Brian H »

Did you have your boot open prior to driving away? Fuse 46 covers quite a few items but one is the brake lights. The loom in the boot is prone to work hardening over time and when it breaks (wires snap and short out) it can course some funny symptoms. Central locking wires also run through this loom. Maybe a place to start?
serow

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by serow »

Thanks brian chucked roof cover in boot just before setting off will check loom when i get back home next week and will let you know result
serow

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by serow »

Hi brian returned from hols checked and found the loom of doom put in one new wire and repaired (solder) two all is now well
Thanks again Serow
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Glad you got it sorted
serow wrote:.......the loom of doom.........
I like that "the loom of doom" :) , it is quite alarming that such a small loom can cause so much trouble with so many symptoms.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Brian H wrote: I like that "the loom of doom" :)
Me too! Sums it up perfectly. Reminds me that I want to do this http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807 as a pre-emptive repair.