Tips on fitting a hardtop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Tips on fitting a hardtop

Post by baretto »

I have someone coming to pick up my hardtop and fitting kit this week and they want me to fit the hardtop for them.
I understand that there are two pieces of black foam that are glued in place which I need to remove to fit the brackets. Has anybody got any tips on how to remove this foam as it looks to be a bit of a nightmare

cheers
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Tips on fitting a hardtop

Post by Brian H »

Hi baretto,

The foam pieces are not glued in, they are bolted in. The bolt to look out for though is under the trim piece on the inside of the door jam.

The picture above is with the hard top down, looking from the back to the front - Passenger side.

HTH
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

Cheers for that
A couple of people on other forums said that it was glued in
Hopefully I will be able to fit it fairly quickly as once the foam is out it will just be a case of fitting the brackets
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

baretto wrote:Cheers for that
A couple of people on other forums said that it was glued in
Hopefully I will be able to fit it fairly quickly as once the foam is out it will just be a case of fitting the brackets
Give yourself an hour or so, final fitting can be fiddly but you will be able to get the brackets in and the hardtop secured fairly quickly.
johnwayne

M roadster S50

Post by johnwayne »

I would advise you put a layer or two of tape on the tops of the rear wings above the brackets. As fitting can be fiddly and you may need to adjust to get the correct fit. Damage can be done to the paintwork so prevention is better than !!!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I fitted the brackets with minimal tools to another forum member's car in a car park prior to picking up the top - didn't take very long - but it helps to have read up on what goes where first. Two bolts and one nut is all that holds them in place and there is no adjustment in the fitting of the brackets, so nothing to line up or adjust at this point.

Getting the top lined up and water-/wind-tight took several hours and a lot of faffing about lifting the top on and off. You definitely need at least two people to do this part. As long as you can get it on and locked in place, it should be sufficient to drive home with.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc