stiff passenger door lock

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

stiff passenger door lock

Post by Ci »

My Z3 has a stiff pasenger door lock. Will only lock manually from the passenger door side. What to do?? Advice plse.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: stiff passenger door lock

Post by Jonco »

Ci wrote:My Z3 has a stiff pasenger door lock. Will only lock manually from the passenger door side. What to do?? Advice plse.
Do you mean stiff or just not working remotely or on central locking. More info required on what happens to other door locks when using remote or manual key.

Passenger door problems are a classic symptom of boot loom problems. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34807
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

The passenger door lock will lock using the key in the passenger door, but not central locking or remote. The physical locking with the key in the passenger door is much stiffer than using the key the driver's side.
How about linkages in the door being dry?
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Ci wrote:......How about linkages in the door being dry?
That's a possibility and one I tried when I had my problems. I squirted WD40 down the door push button and in through the lock - at one stage I thought that was it but it ended up being the dreaded boot loom.
I have never done it but I think you need the door card out to fully lubricate - others have better experience to comment and advise. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=11887
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Before you go to removing the door card, you can access the lock via a small oval shape rubber grommet on the edge of the door adjacent to the door lock...remove it, and give a good spray of lube through there....then manually lock / unlock the mechanism with your key a few times and feel if it has loosened up...if it feels loose,try the remote locking with the central locking circuit...if it works, all good and well, if not, you may have to remove the door card and test the circuit to that lock and proceed from there. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Parallel thread - www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36203
Anything that works for you....
I don't think my problem is the loom cuz when it's acting up and I press the remote - I feel slight movement in the button.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:Before you go to removing the door card, you can access the lock via a small oval shape rubber grommet on the edge of the door adjacent to the door lock...remove it, and give a good spray of lube through there....then manually lock / unlock the mechanism with your key a few times and feel if it has loosened up...if it feels loose,try the remote locking with the central locking circuit...if it works, all good and well, if not, you may have to remove the door card and test the circuit to that lock and proceed from there. :wink:
Very good idea, should be done a couple of times a year :)

The 'BEAST' 666