Sorry! Another Alarm query(Updated-solved!)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Sorry! Another Alarm query(Updated-solved!)

Post by Richtea »

Just picked up my Z3 at the weekend and am just tidying up some little bits and pieces on it including a new rear window.

Anyway the car has all the stickers etc stating BMW Alarm and includes the original BMW installation paperwork. However the only keys I have are as below;

From what I have read on here, I think I have the original factory alarm fitted (with house brick remote) but there were none of these with the car. Also I dont know what the small keys are for as again, the small keys I've seen on here which silence the alarm are different to these.

The other strange thing is the location of the LED;

All the posts I've seen seem to make reference to the factory LED being in the dash?

Could anyone shed any light on what system/keys may be?

Many thanks
Rich
Last edited by Richtea on Sat 31 Aug, 2013 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Sorry! Another Alarm query.

Post by Gazza »

Have you contacted the previous owner, it could have an after market unit fitted.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I don't recognise the small keys, but from the ignition keys I would say that the car would have originally had the earlier alarm with the separate "housebrick" remote. That setup had a small round key for silencing the alarm siren, different to the keys you have. Although the LED looks similar, the BMW one also doubled as a switch for disabling the interior movement sensors. I'd say you have an aftermarket alarm and the original BMW stickers have just been left in place as a deterrent.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Cheers for the info! I was also thinking that it was probably after market. I'll have a bit more of a poke around later.

Rich,
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Richtea wrote:Cheers for the info! I was also thinking that it was probably after market. I'll have a bit more of a poke around later.

Rich,
I have the same year car and model as you (dec 97 actual build) and the LED/pushbutton is mounted in the panel between the ASC button and clock which is the standard.
At that time, the units were not actually `factory fitted' but installed by BMW GB after delivery. I have the original paperwork for mine and the alarm installation is dated 4 days after delivery to first owner. When I was ordering a new `housebrick' recently from the original dealer, he confirmed this was the case at that particular time.

The LED may therefore be in that position at customer request and not necessarily because it is aftermarket. My ignition keys are similar to yours but the smaller keys look more like a crooklock or petrol cap.
If you look behind the glovebox and the original unit is still there - then you should be able to programme a new housebrick to it.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Depending on what options are fitted to your car, the led placement could be due to lack of space in the normal place. Eg, if you had ASC, Aircon, heated seats and a power roof, all the switch positions would be populated and there wouldn't be room to mount the led in the usual spot.
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Depending on what options are fitted to your car, the led placement could be due to lack of space in the normal place. Eg, if you had ASC, Aircon, heated seats and a power roof, all the switch positions would be populated and there wouldn't be room to mount the led in the usual spot.
Wishful thinking ! I dont have any of those things, not even the ASC button!!(?)
I had a quick look under the bonnet earlier and I have the BMW siren so I may take the glove box off at the weekend and see whats there. Then I'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of either trying to save the stock system or starting a fresh with a new aftermarket alarm system.

Rich.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Richtea, my August '98 2.8 has the light in exactly the same place as yours!
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Have you still got the interior sensors in the top corner's of your windscreen ? Can the red led light be pressed in (as a switch) to turn off the interior sensors when the hood is down.
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Geoff H wrote:Have you still got the interior sensors in the top corner's of your windscreen ? Can the red led light be pressed in (as a switch) to turn off the interior sensors when the hood is down.
Yep, still has the interior sensors either side of the windscreen. Don't think the led can be pushed in but must admit I haven't tried.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Rafolian wrote:Richtea, my August '98 2.8 has the light in exactly the same place as yours!
That's interesting, is your light the same as mine or is it more of a button which others have made reference to?
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Never seen the led in that position, if the front switch blanks are full its put at the back behind the hand brake. I guess a earlier owner must of put it there as BMW wouldn't of
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Richtea wrote:................Don't think the led can be pushed in but must admit I haven't tried.
On the 3G EWS the red LED is a spring loaded push switch - which when depressed sends a pulse signal to the box to override the acoustic sensors. If you press this (with ignition off) then the LED should flash rapidly for 2 secs and then go out. It then awaits signal from remote (which you don't have at the moment)to arm the system. To reset the override you have to turn the ignition on. HTH
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

No, mine definitely isn't a button that can be pushed. However a friendly forum member is sending me a fob so hopefully ill be able to solve the mystery when that arrives.
I'll keep the post updated.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Richtea wrote:No, mine definitely isn't a button that can be pushed. However a friendly forum member is sending me a fob so hopefully ill be able to solve the mystery when that arrives.
I'll keep the post updated.
Ok- but it certainly looks identical to mine. One of the problems with them is that the lens cover can come off and the small spring shoots out - if the cover has been replaced without the spring then it is in the permanent 'pushed in' position - this had been done to mine by previous owner.
If you can extract it from the mounting you could check the wiring at the back. If it `was' a push button then there will be 3 wires - blue (5v supply), brown (common) and silver grey (pulsed signal when armed).

Best of luck with programming the fob - will wait to hear your news.
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Thanks Jonco, really useful. I'll try an pop it out later and take a look. I'm really hoping that it is the original alarm and fittings as I'd love to have the stock alarm set up. Time will tell!
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Well, Massive thanks to member PCSAM !!

He kindly sent me some remotes through the post, so this afternoon I had the glove box out and put the module into learning mode. Was easier than I thought and didn't need to remove the module. I now have a working alarm, so it obviously was a factory option.

Unfortunately whoever had it before has turned off the siren, and I don't have the key for it to turn it on. This is a bit frustrating but the main thing is that I now have remote central locking and at least the deterrent of the flashing led and hazard lights!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Sorry! Another Alarm query(Updated-solved!)

Post by Jonco »

Well done - does your pushbutton work as well?

Bit of a bummer about the siren - maybe somebody will be along soon with a way around it?
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Jonco wrote:Well done - does your pushbutton work as well?

Bit of a bummer about the siren - maybe somebody will be along soon with a way around it?
Jonco,

No unfortunately the push button doesn't seem to work. But as you suggested, I think the spring has come out at some point as there is no 'give' in the led. I might experiment with it tomorrow (maybe a biro spring or something like that), but to be honest if I get anything else working it will be a bonus!

Thanks for your help.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster
neilyboy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by neilyboy »

Richtea, I've just read your comments about your alarm system. When I bought my Z3 the alarm fob was not included, I did manage to get a new one from a local BMW parts stockist. I matched it to the receiver but it would not activate unless I held the fob right against the aerial of the receiver. I was told that these parts were no longer available as Gemel had gone out of business. I decided to give up on the 3G EWS system and I am currently installing a Viper alarm system. This is not an easy task as I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for Z3's. If you or any other members know where I can get one it would be much appreciated. The siren on my Gemel system worked alright but I too don't have a key to turn it off or on, also the push button led worked' if you are still looking for these, I have them both. Neil :head:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

neilyboy wrote:This is not an easy task as I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for Z3's
So you didn't look in the knowledgebase then. :head:

Electrical Troubleshooting Manual article is here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=34176
You want one of the early diagrams from the porterbility site - there is a section on the Alpine alarm in the 96, 97 and 98 ones - this looks to have most of the right components on it, though I can't see the interior movement sensors - the wiring colours are all given - it would be worth seeing if any of them correspond to your car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Richtea

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Richtea »

Final Update!!

Yesterday thought I might try to turn on the alarm sounder but obviously didn't have the barrel-type key. So thought I'd give it a try with a old Bic biro (see you tube for opening cylindrical locks with a biro!). Anyway took off the rubber cover from the lock and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the lock was a normal flat blade key type. I tried the small key on the fob I have and fitted perfectly!
Turned on the siren, sounded and armed as it should. So I don't know why the factory alarm was stopped being used by the previous owner. I've had it on the car for the last 24 hours and there has been no false alarms or anything (I was expecting a boot switch fail or something).

So lesson learnt is to just take a look as I believed that all the BMW alarm systems would be the same but obviously there are subtle differences (type of key, led positioning etc).

I was originally looking at fitting an aftermarket alarm for my Zed, but thanks to this forum it's all been put back into action for just over £30 and some really helpful advice.

Thanks again to everyone.
1998 1.9 BMW Z3 Roadster