Driver seat stuck in lowest position

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Driver seat stuck in lowest position

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

Hi guys, I climbed into the car the yesterday to head home from work and noticed the seat seemed lower. It seems at some point whilst I was at work the seat has managed to lower itself to the lowest position and now it refuses to raise. Its always been a bit tempermental for height, travelling back and forth is fine, just going up and down now seems to refuse to work.

I havnt had a chance to look into it, but obviously there isnt much room to have a good look as its very low, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Are there seperate fuses for up/down and back/forwards? Maybe try the WD40 trick if I can get access?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Chris

This sideways motion is feeling all too familiar...
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Driver seat stuck in lowest position

Post by Brian H »

Can you hear the motor trying to operate when you use the switch?
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Nope, not a thing when trying to move up or down, and as I said works perfectly going backwards and forwards.

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Chris,

Well it is either switch or motor, you would usually get a small noise if the seat was just stuck like a tiny thud. The seat has a single fuse for the supply fuse 19.

I think you are going to have to pop out he seat to check things a little further, if you remove the 4 no: seat nuts/bolts and tilt the top of the seat toward the passenger side of the car you can swap over the power connector for the motors, this makes the up/down button move the seat backward/forward etc. it is a fiddly awkward job though, have something to had to put under the seat when tilted over.

By doing this test you will be proving a) do both motors work b) do both sides of the switch work. You can leave the seatbelt pre tensioner in place with the seat tilted over just be careful not to snag it or you will need an airbag light reset :head:

Wiring diagram below, standard seat, fuse 19 - 30A

chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks very much Brian, I have a few days off coming up, will have to spend a bit of time then and see if I can see what the problem is, fingers crossed its something simple/obvious!

Cheers again!
Chris