UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Chrome Windscreen Frame

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of fitting the chrome windscreen frame

http://www.zettiworld.de/BMW-Z3/Karosse ... 1eopm32me5

Does anyone know if there are any fitting guides, I'm sure I've see some threads on here in the past. I think ideally the screen should come out but it can be fitted without doing this?

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Chrome Windscreen Frame

Post by Southernboy »

I'm fairly certain it can be fitted without removing the windscreen...the rubber seals are very flexible on both edges...I recently removed the matt black vynil which had started to crisp in places...and had to lift the rubber to get the bits out under them...I imagine it's a stick on item...with the edges housed under the rubber seals..Send them a message and ask about fitting.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:I'm fairly certain it can be fitted without removing the windscreen...the rubber seals are very flexible on both edges...I recently removed the matt black vynil which had started to crisp in places...and had to lift the rubber to get the bits out under them...I imagine it's a stick on item...with the edges housed under the rubber seals..Send them a message and ask about fitting.. :wink:
Thanks Barry, thats a plan, Im pretty sure the chrome frame is held in place with plastic tabs which slot into the windscreen frame with the screen removed, I think these can be broken off so it can be fitted with the screen in place, just want to confirm if thats possible :)

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Tim, that is what I recall also, for the OEM one. I also recall someone on here cutting off the tabs and relying purely on double-sided tape to hold it in place.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:Tim, that is what I recall also, for the OEM one. I also recall someone on here cutting off the tabs and relying purely on double-sided tape to hold it in place.

Cheers R.
Thanks Robert, I've done a search but can't find much, I just remember there were some piccies showing how it fitted :|

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not found any piccies, but I did find this: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=28107

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Removing the screen is not at all necessary when fitting the OEM stainless surround trim set. There is a tab that is designed to be screwed to the inside root of each A frame but it is normal practice to cut these off as they are far more trouble than they're worth. The trim set comes with double sided sticky tape already fitted that works reasonably well.

However, there is a much better alternative. Start with the A frame pillars and fit using a thin bead of good quality window sealer inside each edge of the trim. This prevents water getting in and rusting internally. Remember to leave a small gap in the sealer beading at the bottom to help with condensation. Press on firmly (no clamps or other tools are necessary) and hold on place for five minutes or so. Continue with the other A frame pillar. Then fit the two top trims with the same method and here it may be useful to also use the double sided tape strip as well as a second pair of hands. The top trims do not meet in the middle but the gap is covered by the small centre clip found in the set. It can be difficult to fit this final part due to it's size and position but patience helps.

Using sealer for fitting the stainless surround trim makes positioning so much easier and provides good resistance to the elements. A further benefit is that the finished trim doesn't sound hollow and tacky or move when you knock it, but feels solid.

It should be obvious but a 'dry run' is imperative both for the fitting position and finding out how far you can reach... It may even be necessary to put in a request for assistance from senior management (yes her indoors).

This is a tried and tested method but it is up to you to make the final decision. Finally, it isn't difficult, take a little time and the finished article will look good.

Hope this helps

Regards
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Cheers for the info much appreciated, having thought about it some more, I'm slightly worried about moisture or water getting trapped behond the trim so deliberating if its wise to fit. Some pics of it fitted would be good :)

Tim.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

TitanTim wrote:........Some pics of it fitted would be good :)

Tim.
Here you go :)

Windscreen surround
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

There is always the option of "wrapping" . There is an Audi TT running around Lincoln which has been wrapped in Chrome vinyl. The whole car!,Personally I think it's awfull but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So possibly your windscreen frame could be done with this vinyl wrap?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Tim.
I've followed the development of this thread, and must correct my earlier comment of the rubber seals on the windscreen and it's opposite at the roof / A pillar edges being "very flexible". I must recant after going out and looking at my car, and recalling the removal of the OEM vinyl which had started to crack.
Your concern over moisture gathering under the trim is well founded. If the item is fitted by the use of double side tape, it will provide areas where moisture will not only get in, but remain hidden for days and weeks. The original stick on vinyl as used by BMW was seriously tough stuff, it also mated with the painted body surface fully. I have removed this OEM vinyl, only because it had started to crack at the top corner of the A pillar. The painted surface below is as good as new. The only safe way of applying the chrome strip being promoted on this thread, would be to use a silicone sealant as the "glue" between the two surfaces. Problem with that is: a). one is working in a small area, and cannot ensure complete coverage, and, b). the thickness of the chrome strip plus some silicone will require the rubber beading to be lifted without guarantee of uniformity throughout the length on both edges.
My personal choice would be to have a professional fit the vinyl strip , and to have the windscreen rubber seal removed as well as the rubber seal on the opposite edge. Only this will ensure a watertight result. There is no doubt that BMW fitted the matt black vinyl in this manner...ie. prior to fitting the windscreen and rubber seals. Only that way could they trim the vinyl so that it extended the 5mm under the rubber seals with such accuracy and consistency all the way round.
Any attempt to fit it otherwise, requires the rubber seal to be lifted out the way whilst fitting, and it is impractical to expect to be able to hold both opposite rubber seals up, line up some seriously sticky floppy vinyl material, and then stick it down perfectly...especially when one comes to the corners of the A pillar...that would be a nightmare...and if not fitted perfectly without any air bubbles under the vinyl it's going to be a regretable expense.
In finality, after I removed my OEM vinyl, which required lifting the rubber seals to extract all the stuff (especially under the rubber seal), I found that the rubber seals took a several days of hot sunshine to collapse back onto the bodywork of the car and form a clean sealed edge again. I put this down to the fact that the rubber has "hardened" over the years, and is more inclined to "bend" rather than "stretch" due to the age. It would seem that to do a 100% "OEM" job, one may as well fit a new windscreen and new rubber seals whilst having the vinyl professionally fitted....and that sounds like an insurance claim job for the costs involved. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions