Spacers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Spacers

Post by OXO »

I want to get some spacers to make the rear arches look more filled. I like the spacers which bolt to the hubs and don't need longer wheel bolts.

But what thickness is good? The Z has Msport suspension btw..

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Spacers

Post by Brian H »

Hi OXO,

What are you wheel size/offset ?

My wheels are 17" 8.5 et41 and I have 15mm spacers on my car, it looks like this: -

My Spacers are the ones that use the longer bolts.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

They are 16s, I don't know the offset, but they are the style 55s originally supplied when the car was new.
Last edited by OXO on Tue 17 Sep, 2013 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I have toyed with idea on my ///M
Its 15cm wider at the already
I have annoyingly kerbed twice in 12 years, at the rear parking, ludicrously high jagged kerbs :head: :head:
Any wider at the rear, I'll get a ticket for being to far from the kerb lol
I'm still thinking about though, the car looks mean, even meaner cant be bad thing :lol:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I had type 64 on my Zed originally,which I believe have the same offset as type 55.I had 20mm steel HC spacers which are the optimum to bolt to the hubs and then use your original wheel bolts to refit wheels.I am considering using these 20mm spacers wwith my current type 18s.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Thanks Frank. Where do these type spacers come from?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Hubcentri ... #vi-ilComp

These on Ebay are a good price but the listing seems confused.It states 20mm in the header but further on in the description states 15mm and then 20mm.It states for E36 but if you put your Z3 details in the compatability boxes states no fit..
Best to check with the seller.There are others.
They are the same make as mine but the picture is for illustration only. :roll:

Mine look as in the following listing but are much dearer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20MM-Hubcentr ... 43be024395

gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

I have a 2.8 with 16" alloys and putting spacers on is one of the first things I did as I didn't like the way the car looked. However I've since heard that spacers aren't that safe, not to sure how true that is. I used 20mm spacers, looks so much better. Pretty sure the link below is the company I used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-20MM-HUBC ... 27cb6141d0

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

gas guzzler wrote: However I've since heard that spacers aren't that safe, not to sure how true that is.
Andy
Interesting that you state that.

If you use a 20mm spacer and the standard length wheel bolts, then surely these wheel bolts are not penetrating the hub by at least 20mm?

If you must use spacers, then you must used longer wheel bolts to compensate for the spacer thickness?

I know what to mean though about filling the arches, my Zed is a "wide body" and aesthetically the wheels and tyres don't look wide enough.

Regards

Peter
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

there are spacers that have 10 holes (5 through and 5 tapped)that bolt directly to your hub then you use your original bolts that screw into the tapped holes in the spacers.
I have always used longer bolts / studs (depending on the fixing type) so the spacer is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub and the wheel is still directly bolted to the hub. I don't trust the ones I described above as you have to rely on the spacers holding the wheel firm then holding the whole lot to the hub.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Mugs wrote:I have always used longer bolts / studs (depending on the fixing type) so the spacer is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub and the wheel is still directly bolted to the hub. I don't trust the ones I described above as you have to rely on the spacers holding the wheel firm then holding the whole lot to the hub.
There is somebody I think on here? selling some of them in the last couple of days
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Mugs wrote:there are spacers that have 10 holes (5 through and 5 tapped)that bolt directly to your hub then you use your original bolts that screw into the tapped holes in the spacers.
I have always used longer bolts / studs (depending on the fixing type) so the spacer is sandwiched between the wheel and the hub and the wheel is still directly bolted to the hub. I don't trust the ones I described above as you have to rely on the spacers holding the wheel firm then holding the whole lot to the hub.
Actually, I would trust the ones with two sets of short bolts. This is because the lever arm on long bolts going through spacers is longer, so wheel loads can stress the long bolts more. The long bolts also have thread all the way up which is in a plain hole in the spacer and this is not how bolts are supposed to be used ( actually, they are screws, not bolts. Bolts have an unthreaded section on the shank for exactly this reason)
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

I have 16inch wheels on my Z with spacers off 20mm (rear) 1998 wide arch model with the two set off bolts method
feels very safe more than pleased with the look with the spacers would reccomend. :)

Bazza
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Spacers bolted to hubs and wheels bolted to spacers is the proper engineering method for 15mm and above.These aren't really spacers,more hub extensions.

Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

my problem is that I bought a car with 20mm hub extensions on it and due to them being ally the tapped holes had starting stripping so they came straight off. :head:
i'm not sure if they were just cheap ones and better ones may have hardened inserts but it just scared me. :shock:
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Ally? :shock:

Noo, must be steel.
woozzle

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by woozzle »

Bazza1 wrote:I have 16inch wheels on my Z with spacers off 20mm (rear) 1998 wide arch model with the two set off bolts method
feels very safe more than pleased with the look with the spacers would reccomend. :)

Bazza
do you have a photo with this set up. thanks
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If the wheels are already on your car you don't need to know the offset to work out what spacer you need, just measure yourself from the face of the wheel to the arch. You car is not that low so there seems plenty of clearance so you should not have to worry about catching the front arch liner. The rear looks as if your could go more than 20mm but personally I would never go more than 30mm.

Don't copy what someone else has done unless you know they are exactly the same wheel in terms of width and offset.

TPI are a good make at reasonable prices. Anything to do with wheels I would avoid the cheap part less than £40 for a set of 2.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bazza1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bazza1 »

Hi, Wozzle sorry can't post pic's (don't know why) I have Ally spacer's and will check them now? can only presume that if Ally threads are being stripped they have been over tightened
at some time :shock:

Bazza
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Jonttt wrote:TPI are a good make at reasonable prices. Anything to do with wheels I would avoid the cheap part less than £40 for a set of 2.
They are mag alloy. I wouldn't put them on my car. Steel only for me.