Z3 bits and pieces

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Flight

blank

Z3 bits and pieces

Post by Flight »

Hi Everybody.
I have just bought my first Z3. Which is a 2000 3 Litre Sport. I consider myself fortunate to get it as it is virtually as new with just 30,000 miles on the clock. I only require an underbelly tray, but not sure where to stop and start. There is nothing from the front bumper except for two side boxes right and left front. Can anyone advise what is missing? I have been told not all versions had the same tray.
Many thanks
Flight
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 bits and pieces

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you look at realoem.com you can put in your car's vin and it will list all the parts for that car.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Flight,

First things first, your not allowed to post that you have a like new Z without any pics ! :D

Below is a diagram that show the underbelly trays, my car a 11/2001 only has tray 2 and not tray 1. As Blades has said putting your VIN in to either http://bmwfans.info or http://www.realoem.com will allow you to explore the parts on your car. If you click on the diagram it will take you to the BMWfans site, below the diagram is a list of parts, if the part number is not listed it is generally not on your car.

Image Shielding, engine compartment/air ducts - BMW parts catalog

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Brian
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Hi and welcome from me as well and we need pictures

The 3.0i only had the front tray part 2 in Brian H's diags I guess it must be something to do with airflow around the engine.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Flight

blank

Re: Z3 bits and pieces/under tray

Post by Flight »

Hi Brian and Blade runner.
Thanks for the advice which I followed. It looks as though there should only be the front piece, but I have got it on order. What Workshop manual would you recommend. Will try to post a photo asap, but am busy painting callipers, and waxoyling everywhere.
Cheers
flight
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 bits and pieces/under tray

Post by Brian H »

Flight wrote:.......... What Workshop manual would you recommend.
I use BMW TIS, I got this as part of a code reader package. The Bentley manual seems popular too, these do come up for sale second hand now and again.

There is some information online in this link, it is based on the BMW TIS but it is not all there, a good start though.

HTH

P.S. if you are fitting part number 2 above, it requires the front bumper to be taken off :head:
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Thank for the help Brian H. Everyone is so helpful on this forum, I am trying to find my feet with this car, but I expect as time passes I will get to know it better.
Cheers
Flight
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

We Smiths has the Bentley manual. I found it cheaper than second hand!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi again everyone. My car is almost ready for the road, suspension and everything underneath painted that could be painted. Question, Does anyone have any details of the BMW detachable tow bar? I know they are not made anymore, but I am sure one could be fabricated if details were known.
Thanks again for all the advice received regarding under tray.
Flight
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Flight wrote:Hi again everyone. My car is almost ready for the road, suspension and everything underneath painted that could be painted. Question, Does anyone have any details of the BMW detachable tow bar? I know they are not made anymore, but I am sure one could be fabricated if details were known.
Thanks again for all the advice received regarding under tray.
Flight
Towbar info here, you get some ideas of the bar lower down in the thread although it looks different to the one below.

Image Trailer coupling - BMW parts catalog

A quick search finds one for a Z3 coupe, maybe it would fit?

Z3 Towbar

HTH
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Thanks for the info Brian. I think it would fit a roadster with a bit of tweeking, but they are a hell of a price!. A second hand one would be nice.
Thanks again
Flight
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Flight wrote:.......A second hand one would be nice.
I have never seen one fitted never mind a second hand one :shock:
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi again everyone. I have at last finished preparing my roadster. I have removed several things such as wheel arch liners, brakes air ducts etc. prior to waxoyling everything. Whilst the brake discs were off I gave them a light skim and fitted new pads. I will try to submit some photos shortly. The only unit I am missing is the CD changer. There are plenty on ebay, but non of them match the part number quoted on Real/OEM which is 65128361266. If anyone can provide info as to where I might obtain one I would be most grateful.
Best wishes to all
Flight
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi All, A few pictures of the Z3 as requested along with some of my other toys, :lol: and one of my son's Elise , the Z3 is now on the road.
:lol:
Cheers Flight

URL=http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/leezr ... 3.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/cghun ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Last edited by Flight on Mon 21 Oct, 2013 20:00, edited 3 times in total.
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

I'm sorry for my ignorance. But that white car - what is that? Beautiful, fun little thing!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Kornknarr wrote:I'm sorry for my ignorance. But that white car - what is that? Beautiful, fun little thing!
Lotus Elan +2 if I'm not mistaken - see here - nearly as sweet as my other car. :wink:

Not sure you'd get me in your plane though. :shake:

Welcome to the forum. Zed looks very tidy and a 3L straight-six going to give a lot of smiles per mile. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi Kornknarr.

The white car is my Lotus Elan 130/5. It was bought in 1991 as a basket case and restored over a two and a half year period.
It has a Lotus twin cam engine of 1700cc and a five speed gearbox.
Best wishes
Flight
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi again everyone.
Thanks for your help in the past regarding the under belly tray on my car. According to OEM tray two is all that is fitted, but it still looks very exposed under there. Is it possible that as these cars were made in the USA, these minimal trays were all that was required, given possibly better climate. Up in Cumbria with its narrow mud covered roads some further protection would be desirable. Can anyone tell me the official BMW reason for this minimal protection? and were bigger trays ever fitted to cars for a different market?
thanks again
Flight
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I need to replace one of the trays under my car
somebody has cut a section away? albeit only small a small bit
I did wonder was it the mice/rats to gain access
When I said to my mechanic about getting a new one, he gave
me a weird look, he thought I was crackers.
If I had his lift the car would be as clean underneath as the top is
I have often thought about asking him can I use it for the day to clean the underside :lol:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom