Key Upgrade

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Key Upgrade

Post by David »

Hi guys,

Before I start I would like to say hello, as I am very new to the forum.

Hello!

Now, I know that the general consensus of this mod is not the most enthusiastic. Nevertheless, I am still going to attempt it.

I have just bought myself a 2000 1.9 Z3, and the remote key is in shocking state, and I refuse to pay the (ludacris) dealer price for a replacement "retro styled" key. It looks old, its falling apart, and and far as I'm concerned - it doesn't match the cars beauty. This is just my opinion so please don't be offended and please don't criticise me for attempting this.

So I will be attempting to transplant my old "square" remote key:

into the newer "diamond" shape:

I will be following the instructions, comments, and advice left in this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread ... key&page=3

I bought this replacement key from eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180999782221

I chose this one as it appears to have a spot to put the transponder in on the casing, as opposed to taping it to the board.

Initially, I don't think I am going to replace the rechargeable battery, instead I am going to attempt the "electric toothbrush charger" method.

I will post an update of the outcome over the next couple of days. Please let me know if this interests anybody else, and I will attempt to make a clearer and very simple How To.
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Re: Key Upgrade

Post by janijoeli »

Hello, nice to meet you mate, and your plan sounds great, I am definitely interested in hearing more! :thumb: Thanks for sharing the info!

I agree that the tombstone key looks outdated compared to the car itself, and I have the same problem as you do, my key looks tired, the rubber buttons are worn and sticky... I was toying with the thought of replacing the key with a diamond key just this week.

I was wondering about this. It's £16 incl. delivery, and cut to photo, but is there any reason why I should be suspicious about sending a photo of my key to a stranger?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370882714838

All I would then need is a cheap 2nd hand key with working electronics. I already have a spare re-programmed tombstone key, which I could sacrifice on the altar of science... :D

If i understood correctly, the new key's electronics should work with the car, and all that is needed for starting the car is the transponder from old key?
Also, to me it looks like the small coil the author removed is for induction-charging the battery, and possibly powering the IC transponder of the new key. Thus if I'd keep it in place, charging may also work?

Please keep us updated on your progress! :)
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Hi mate, nice to meet you!

Personally, I would prefer my option of eBay listing as it just sounds weird that the guy cuts from a picture, and if he gets it wrong then you surely won't get a refund. Plus, the one I have purchased comes with the electronics in it already, so no need for a second hand key! Also, as mentioned before, the link I have posted appears to have a space for the transponder unlike other keys (probably as it is a knockoff!)

It is my understanding that these keys won't charge in our car (someone please correct me of I am wrong), hence the use of the toothbrush charger... Charges via induction. So I'm keeping the coil and rechargeable battery in, and attempting to charge it that way first, before ditching them and replacing with just a normal battery.

Hope this helps!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I don't know why you think there's no enthusiasm for this, just not sure anyone's got it to work. Having a key cut and swapping the transponder is easy, just not sure the alarm will sync with the remote.

Janijoeli - I can't imagine for one moment that someone can accurately cut a key from a photo.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Hwo come you have keys with boot opening? My key is different to the two above, and only has 2 buttons for lock and unlock.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

From what I can see in the other forums, people seem to think that it's a pointless mod just so you can look flashy and show off your BMW key...
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

If you need a key cut from a photo(s), try Keytrader (Access Lock & Key Services) in Margate (01843 209239). They cut a key for my daughter's Peugeot from a couple of photos that I emailed to then and it was spot on and arrived by post in 2 days. They also cut me spare keys for the Z from my original and the new ones worked perfectly. They were quite reasonable too. I have no connection other than as a very satisfied customer.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

OXO wrote:Hwo come you have keys with boot opening? My key is different to the two above, and only has 2 buttons for lock and unlock.
We don't. The three buttons are lock, unlock and switch on the interior light.

There are a number of variants of the alarm system which depending upon country can use either radio or infrared. I've only ever seen the housebrick and three-button types here in the UK though - they are both radio.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

DavidZ3 wrote: Now, I know that the general consensus of this mod is not the most enthusiastic.
What makes you say that...?
DavidZ3 wrote:From what I can see in the other forums, people seem to think that it's a pointless mod just so you can look flashy and show off your BMW key...
Aahh, that's what..

It's your key, you do what you want with it..... :thumb:
If it was me I would like to change mine for the flip key version, nothing to do with flashness, you just dont get stabbed in the leg the same as with a normal key in your pocket. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

So here's the update:

The new key arrived today, so before getting it cut, and without opening it up and changing any parts (transponder), the first thing I did was attempt to program the remote.

Success! I followed these simple instructions, using my current shabby looking "tombstone" key as the key that goes in the ignition, and the new one as the additional "other" remote to program:

- Sit in the car with all the doors shut and windows up with your key fobs (all your fobs need to be done at the same time)
- With one of your keys turn the ignition on then off and remove the key
- Press and hold the unlock botton and then press the lock button 3 times.
- Release all buttons and the locks will bounce up and down.
- Repeat this with the other key/keys (press and hold unlock and press lock 3 times, locks will bounce)

Next was the "easy" part - go get the key cut.

I went to my local locksmith (the only one that google maps showed in a 20 mile radius) who said yesterday that he could do it no problem for £10. I have never used this shop before as I have just moved to the area, nor will I again. He F :bad C K E D up real bad. He made a big mess of the key, and broke his machine in the process of ruining my key. He had not realised how bad a job he had done, and told me to come back tomorrow when he has another cutting jig in. Not happening. ...and no, I didn't pay.

So I continued my journey around town, stopping at the BMW stealer to pick up a blanking plate, and I decided to look on my phone for the nearest Timpsons - I was only 10 miles from home at this point. The nearest Timpsons was 0.3 miles away. Not impressed - thanks for screwing me google. I went to speak to them, and they agreed with me that the key wasn't salvageable, however they assured me that they could cut it correctly when I got a replacement.

Onto eBay now, to buy a new casing. Thankfully its only £3 or so...

Otherwise, this all went swimmingly. :wave
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I purchased the new flip style key off ebay a few months back as I don't use the buttons on the standard key to lock/unlock as its all done on my alarm fob. Anyway I have tried around 5 different places in the area and either no one has the machinery to cut it or otherwise they don't want to bother touching it. Only one said he would have a go but was reluctant and this thread has just reminded me it still in the drawer :head:

I am going to try and get this sorted after my hols, somewhere must be able to cut it even if I have to post it away with a spare :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

janijoeli wrote: I was wondering about this. It's £16 incl. delivery, and cut to photo, but is there any reason why I should be suspicious about sending a photo of my key to a stranger?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370882714838
Janijoeli, since my locksmith hiccup/hiccough earlier today, I have since emailed this guy, and he has 'decoded' my key from the photos I sent. He seemed pretty certain it would work, and if not he offers a full refund. So I've bitten the bullet and given this guy a shot in the name of cyber trust, and potentially for the benefit of this forum. If this works I'm sure he will receive a few customers coming from zroadster.net, no doubt.

I'd hope the key should be here on Saturday, so I will update you then.
If you go with this option make sure you email the guy with a photo BEFORE PURCHASING, and he will tell you if he can decode the key or not.

David :dunce:
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

That's great David! Sorry to hear about your first key, let's hope the guy cutting from photos does a good job! He has over 3k feedback and all positive, and lots of them are for keys cut from photos, so he must know what he is doing.

Anyway you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've found eBay's & PayPal's buyer protection good. in case of disputes they are usually (or pretty much always) on buyer's side, so you should get a full refund even if he would f**k up the key.

Re. comments on other forums about showiness: We drive two-seater sports cars and spend silly amounts of time and money on customising, polishing and perfecting interior and exterior, detailing engine bays, buying £3k wheels, installing lowering kits and loud exhausts and superchargers, etc etc... Any fellow enthusiast arguing that the previous activities are not at least partially for show, but swapping the key is suddenly awfully ostentatious needs to stand back, look at what they drive, and think if it is really "just for myself", or "just for myself" as a girl in a skimpy dress and wonderbra. :wink: After all, even though we don't like to admit it, we all like to show off, be proud and receive compliments (and even jealousy) of ourselves and possessions. It's in human nature and subconsciously it lifts us up just a little bit above the rest of the wolfpack, if only for a short moment. :)

And I think a pretty (and soon classic) sports car like Z3 deserves a pretty key.

Just my 2p...
Last edited by janijoeli on Thu 19 Sep, 2013 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

janijoeli wrote:Re. comments on other forums about showiness: We drive two-seater sports cars and spend silly amounts of time and money on customising, polishing and perfecting interior and exterior, detailing engine bays, buying £3k wheels, installing lowering kits and loud exhausts and superchargers, etc etc... Any fellow enthusiast arguing that the previous activities are not at least partially for show, but swapping the key is suddenly awfully ostentatious needs to stand back, look at what they drive, and think if it is really "just for myself", or "just for myself" as a girl in a skimpy dress and wonderbra. :wink: After all, even though we don't like to admit it, we all like to show off, be proud and receive compliments (and even jealousy) of ourselves and possessions. It's in human nature and unconsciously it lifts us up just a little bit above the rest of the wolfpack, if only for a short moment. :)

And I think a pretty (and soon classic) sports car like Z3 deserves a pretty key.

Just my 2p...
I couldn't agree more Janijoeli. I did find it somewhat perplexing that such a simple and effective mod was so harshly looked down upon as superficial... A bit of a hypocrisy when you step back and take a look at us all.
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

I have a question related to that post.

I have 2 of the first key combined with Hi sec alarm.

BUT my key has always turned on the interior light, but NEVER opened or cloed the car. Made the procedure succesfully a lot of times, but these 2 buttons never operated.

The LOCK button turns on the interior light too, but the car remains cloesd.

The other key makes the same. I can only open the car with the housebrick alarm fobs I have (2).

There's way to "reactivate" or so the key buttons? Why the key doesn't open and close the car?
If I could reactivate them, I'll happily leave at home the alarm fob, closing the auto with key.
Doesn't matter if closing the car via the key the alarm remains deactivated.

Any ideas/links/suggestions?
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

resunoiz wrote:There's way to "reactivate" or so the key buttons? Why the key doesn't open and close the car?

Any ideas/links/suggestions?
Hi Resunoiz,

The only thing that I could think of would be for you to follow the reprogramming steps that I posted earlier in this thread.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The key doesn't look like it is the correct one for a pre-face lift car (unless they were different in Italy) that's why the buttons won't unlock it. And it can't be programmed by the method posted earlier, that's for the face lift cars
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

My car is pre-facelift, and has the same (tombstone) type of key. Although maybe there are differences between pre-facelift cars with different engines or markets?

My best guess would be that the normal open/door buttons are disabled because of the alarm. Otherwise, with just the key, you could get into the car, while the alarm would still be on. Or you could lock the doors without switching the alarm on. It would be either annoying, or it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the alarm in the first place. :)

I am sure the alarm can be completely disabled somehow, but I have no idea how.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The pre-face lift cars used the "house brick" remote to lock/unlock the cars and alarm them (which is programmed behind the glove box). The face lift cars used the key to remotely lock/unlock the car and alarm them (which is programmed by the push button method) Using just the key in the lock to lock the car doesn't arm the alarm
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The alarm changed some months before the facelift, as did the instrument cluster, so you can't just say pre-facelift.

AFAIK the early and later alarms are incompatible, so I am thinking that there must have been a problem with the cars alarm and it was replaced by the HiSec one, whilst retaining the receiver.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Back on topic...

IT IS DONE!

Key arrived on Friday, I put the transponder in from my valet key, and the electronics (board) from the other new key that was cut wrong. Interestingly, I then had to reprogram the key once more, even though it had the same components (I think this might be because it is the first time I used the combination of valet transponder and electronics - the first time round I used the transponder that came with electronics).

Admittedly, the new key is a little stiff, and takes a little fiddling to get it working, but this is most likely down to it having a clean, non-worn down cut, as it was cut by a digital machine. I found this out while emailing the guy as he sent me a link to a video of the machine in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aKbet5q5I

Note, in the video the device shows that you could cut key by VIN - this feature was the device's unique selling point that never materialised for obvious security reasons.

Finally, if anyone is still interested, I am happy to make a step-by-step guide with pictures on how to do this, and with links to the items to purchase, just let me know on here whether this is something that would be of interest, and I will aim for it to be put in the knowledge base.

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I love to do something to convert my old 3g ews (brick remote) into something a bit more modern. I was impressed with the flip style fob my other half got with her Polo. For you guys who have the key with the chip you could use something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-5-7-SER ... 2c72c7fde8 . I found a seller who can do all the programming for various types but I'm not sure if it could be applied to the 3w ews system but comes at a price though at £70 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-BLANK-FLI ... 46126acf25 .

I'm sure members on here would appreciate a write up though, nice job.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

janijoeli wrote:My car is pre-facelift, and has the same (tombstone) type of key. Although maybe there are differences between pre-facelift cars with different engines or markets?
mine was a german one, and came with the tombstone as many other pre-facelift with remote access...
My best guess would be that the normal open/door buttons are disabled because of the alarm. Otherwise, with just the key, you could get into the car, while the alarm would still be on. Or you could lock the doors without switching the alarm on. It would be either annoying, or it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the alarm in the first place. :)
Geoff H wrote:The key doesn't look like it is the correct one for a pre-face lift car (unless they were different in Italy) that's why the buttons won't unlock it. And it can't be programmed by the method posted earlier, that's for the face lift cars
Geoff H wrote:The pre-face lift cars used the "house brick" remote to lock/unlock the cars and alarm them (which is programmed behind the glove box). The face lift cars used the key to remotely lock/unlock the car and alarm them (which is programmed by the push button method) Using just the key in the lock to lock the car doesn't arm the alarm

what may be the pre-facelift key? maybe it was replaced during the years? I have 2 keys like them in the pic...and if my pre-facelift couldn't open the car with the wey...why this procedure is in my operation manual? :oops:
my problem is that I can't open the doors with the key. only the remote control of the alarm makes it.
I'll leave happily the alarm unarmed/deactivated if I could open the car with the key directly...no need to arm the alarm, i want only open the car with the key :D
the procedure in my pre-facelift manual for configuring the key is the same as shown above, BUT it only enables interior lighting, not opening/closing the door...sign that is correct, except for some "trouble" in the system. If I can understand how to reactivate it, I'll dismantle the alarm.

how can I deactivate the alarm without going to BMW, to see if deactivating it the key opens or not?
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

no ideas? :oops:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume the key actually opens the doors when you put it into the door locks?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I thought I had already debunked the pre-facelift comment w.r.t. the later alarm and key. The "tombstone" key is correct for cars built from late 1998 on.

What do you mean by the key doesn't work? Do you mean that the key won't operate the mechanical lock? Or do you mean that the central locking doesn't operate, only the lock you put the key in opens? If it is the latter this is probably why the remote can't operate it either.

Cheers R.

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I assume the key actually opens the doors when you put it into the door locks?
yes, obviously :D
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Robert T wrote:I thought I had already debunked the pre-facelift comment w.r.t. the later alarm and key. The "tombstone" key is correct for cars built from late 1998 on.

What do you mean by the key doesn't work? Do you mean that the key won't operate the mechanical lock? Or do you mean that the central locking doesn't operate, only the lock you put the key in opens? If it is the latter this is probably why the remote can't operate it either.

Cheers R.

as you said, I "should" not have the tombstone key, being my car 1997.... BUT they are factory key, so maybe depending on contruies that date may vary...or not? :) and why on the service manual of my car and alarma, there is written the procedure to re-align the signal of tombstone key, if I shouold not have it? :oops:

the tombstone key opens the car and operate central locking using it manually on door fob, and obviously starts the car.

the "Light" and "unlock" buttons on the key makes the interior light start. sign ( I think) the key "communicate" in a certain way with the car, but has some issue with central locking instructions. Maybe deactivating my alarm (as in BMW said me, but with not investigating too much because I did not said them to do it) can I use my tombstone? Is a test I'd like to do, and so I'm wondering how to deactivate the alarm :)

PS: the same HiSec alarm (same brick remote) is installed on the E36 of one of my club's car, 1996. he can open the car via remote and via tombstone, too.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I wonder if both remotes are "talking" to the same alarm module, or two different ones? If there are two modules, then that would explain it - the HiSec one is connected to the central locking and the other is only connected to the interior light. If pressing the unlock button on the "tombstone" turns on the light, then it would appear to be able to interpret the unlock signal - this normally turns on the interior light as well as unlocking the car. Quite how the car comes to have two alarm systems wired in this manner I do not know, I've never seen this in the UK - you seem to have either one or the other, not both.

I did check bmwfans for the dates on the keys, but they were inconclusive, as they just say January 95 onwards.

Cheers R.
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Robert T wrote:I wonder if both remotes are "talking" to the same alarm module, or two different ones? If there are two modules, then that would explain it - the HiSec one is connected to the central locking and the other is only connected to the interior light. If pressing the unlock button on the "tombstone" turns on the light, then it would appear to be able to interpret the unlock signal - this normally turns on the interior light as well as unlocking the car.
that's my supposition too. but don't know, as you said, if there are two different module (i think so).
BUT opening with HISec module, interior light comes on too. Seems that central locking "connected" to the key only doesn't open the car..
Quite how the car comes to have two alarm systems wired in this manner I do not know, I've never seen this in the UK - you seem to have either one or the other, not both.
that's the main difference infact. do you know where are the HiSec module, or the central locking one?
I did check bmwfans for the dates on the keys, but they were inconclusive, as they just say January 95 onwards.

Cheers R.
many thanks! :) it wll be a clue that it may be possible having the tombstone on my 97.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

resunoiz wrote:
Robert T wrote:I wonder if both remotes are "talking" to the same alarm module, or two different ones? If there are two modules, then that would explain it - the HiSec one is connected to the central locking and the other is only connected to the interior light. If pressing the unlock button on the "tombstone" turns on the light, then it would appear to be able to interpret the unlock signal - this normally turns on the interior light as well as unlocking the car.
that's my supposition too. but don't know, as you said, if there are two different module (i think so).
BUT opening with HISec module, interior light comes on too. Seems that central locking "connected" to the key only doesn't open the car..
This is what I tried to say a couple posts earlier. Tombstone key would only operate the lock but not the alarm, thus its locking/unlocking functionality is disabled. Alarm fob now operates both alarm AND the lock.

If you'd be able to unlock the car AND disable the alarm with just the tombstone key, it'd be pointless having a separate fob for the alarm in the first place. Also, all you'd need to break into your car and disable the alarm would be a tombstone key...

When you unlock the car with using the tombstone key in the lock, does this also disable the alarm? I would guess not, as if this is the case, then again it would be pointless having a separate alarm fob.

Ops, would it make sense pulling this discussion to its own thread? As we've drifted very off topic from David's diamond key upgrade... :wink:
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

janijoeli wrote:
This is what I tried to say a couple posts earlier. Tombstone key would only operate the lock but not the alarm, thus its locking/unlocking functionality is disabled. Alarm fob now operates both alarm AND the lock.
how disable completely the alarm and ONLY lock/unlock the car with the key, regardless of the alarm? that's my need :)
If you'd be able to unlock the car AND disable the alarm with just the tombstone key, it'd be pointless having a separate fob for the alarm in the first place. Also, all you'd need to break into your car and disable the alarm would be a tombstone key...When you unlock the car with using the tombstone key in the lock, does this also disable the alarm? I would guess not, as if this is the case, then again it would be pointless having a separate alarm fob.
yes. infact the key SHOULD only lock/unlock the car, without disabling the alarm (what E36 with same alarm does)

unlocking the car using the door fob, the alarm does NOT disable. I can open the car manually, but the alarm starts.
SO as said, I'l happily disable the alarm if I could use the key to open/close the car, regardless of the alarm.

Ops, would it make sense pulling this discussion to its own thread? As we've drifted very off topic from David's diamond key upgrade... :wink:
yes, sorry :oops: if it is possible, I'l be happy.

...itì's true that if I can resolve my issue, the diamond key will be my next target and I'll go back straight InTopic :D
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

It might be as simple as re-connecting a wire or two back to original body electronics module that now go to the hi-sec alarm module, but looking at this diagram it is most likely more complicated than that...
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW/19 ... S/2972.pdf

It is also possible that the whole body electronics module has simply been replaced with a hi-sec specific one. If this would be the case, then switching back to non-hi-sec setup could be just as simple as replacing the module.

All this is purely guesswork as I've never seen the central locking wiring live, with or without hi-sec alarm, and don't know which signals go in each wire... Sorry mate :oops:

My best bet would be to check what you have behind the glove box, and start from there. Especially check where the wires going to the door & trunk lock motors are now connected to, the wiring diagram will tell you the likely wire colours to look for. If you have an electronics-savvy mate, even better. ;)

Good luck, and let us know about your findings!
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Could the door locks and ignition have been changed during the cars life with locks from a later model, you would then have a later key but still have the original alarm so have to use the "housebrick" alarm fob, but the later key won't "see" the original alarm module
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

janijoeli wrote:
Oh... Don't mind me...... You continue having your little chitchat right here if you so wish.
[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Just a little bump to add my own successful key upgrade.

I purchased this little beauty off eBay for £9.99. It comes with the electronics and has the space for a transponder chip which was also supplied. I didn't bother to investigate coding the new transponder. I just used my old one from my tired old tombstone key.

Programming the central locking is the same process as normal except for one gotcha. The eBay seller does not list it, but the key I bought does both 315Mhz and 433Mhz. It came set for 315Mz and had to be changed. After some googling I found that changing to 433Mz is quite easy. Just press and hold the unlock button, press the boot/light button 5 times and then release the lock button. Now your set for 433Mz and the normal central locking programming process works fine. One tip is to hold the key up near the rear view mirror while you do this last bit. Cutting the key is all that's left to do. I was lucky that a local place in Reigate can do these.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

siwilson wrote:Just a little bump to add my own successful key upgrade.

I purchased this little beauty off eBay for £9.99. It comes with the electronics and has the space for a transponder chip which was also supplied. I didn't bother to investigate coding the new transponder. I just used my old one from my tired old tombstone key.

Programming the central locking is the same process as normal except for one gotcha. The eBay seller does not list it, but the key I bought does both 315Mhz and 433Mhz. It came set for 315Mz and had to be changed. After some googling I found that changing to 433Mz is quite easy. Just press and hold the unlock button, press the boot/light button 5 times and then release the lock button. Now your set for 433Mz and the normal central locking programming process works fine. One tip is to hold the key up near the rear view mirror while you do this last bit. Cutting the key is all that's left to do. I was lucky that a local place in Reigate can do these.
Just for clarity, can you confirm that this was to replace the later type of key, with the integral buttons, rather than the earlier 'brick'?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Yes, this was to replace the 'tombstone' style key with 3 buttons( Lock, unlock and interior light) with the newer style Diamond key. also with 3 buttons.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Very nice! :thumb: Just one question, did it come with the small BMW emblem to go in the middle of the key?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

janijoeli wrote:Very nice! :thumb: Just one question, did it come with the small BMW emblem to go in the middle of the key?
No, the emblems are available from other eBay sellers.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Just ordered the same key as you did, and 11mm emblems from here. DIY time next week or so! :)