glovebox lighting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

glovebox lighting

Post by littlefeller »

following on from the footwell theme, im will have a go at the glovebox light, with a glovebox door switch of some kind (why is it called a glove box, mine doesn't have gloves in :? )
will prob have a go this weekend.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: glovebox lighting

Post by RichP »

i think the "three-old-MOT's,-a-screwdriver-,and-a-2005-road-map-box" although more accurate is not as easy to say as "glove-box". :D

Got my footwell lighting in the post today, i'll try and find some time on sunday to fit it. Thanks!

you can never have too much LED strip lighting, so i'll probably be interested in this...
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

made a start this morning, switch used -

strip, I may shorten this if its too bright, again im using warm white to match the rest.

switch will be going here, it will come on when the box is full open, didn't want it to switch the other way ie switch contact broken when door shut, if it fell of, the light would stay on :shock: so I have opted for a switch that needs to be pressed to complete the circuit.

light strip will be going here, hidden up inside.

hopefully I will get the chance to wire it in this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

This looks to be the way to go with the components you have used, look forward to seeing pics of end result. If you end doing a similar kit to the footwell lights I'd be very interested.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

already thought of this, I have ordered 10 of these tiny switches. I might need more :lol:
Topaz Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Topaz Z3 »

Like the look of this Littlefeller.

Please add me to the list when you are happy it is ready to go.

You post covers all my questions. Top Job again. :bow

Looking forward to receiving the footwell lights.

Just fitted a set of these in the boot in the recess to the left and right-hand side

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Pai ... 257e94ae76

Trouble is you can only see them when the boot is open, but can not see out of the rear window when driving then. :shock:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

test number 2
switch, think I will get some sealed types.
umm I need to find an easyer way off attaching the switch, it wasn't that easy trying to get behind that stop AND closing the box enough to get the rubber cushion out of the way AND lining it up to switch all at the same time.

might use a different switch, abit bigger.
cant see wires
if you look underneath you can
door open - Image
will wait till it gets darker then take more pics.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

There's a mouse in your heater outlet.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

:lol: its a leaf :lol:, before anyone askes - the pieces in the footwell are the hard top mount covers
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

these might work better, more options where to put them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251328670975? ... 1423.l2649
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

How about small mercury tilt switches?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

lebigmec wrote:How about small mercury tilt switches?
ummm that could work, give that man a cigar :lol:
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Put me down for the glove box light and one for the boot as well I think you were doing those as well?
Keep the great write ups coming
Cheers
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

will do, first I may try these tilt switches, it is a good idea. but I need to find one that wont keep switching while going over bumps. the magnetic switch may end up coming in first place unless I can find an easyer way of getting the tiny switch I used around the back of the stop, it was a bit fiddly. I also need to explore more wire routing for the glovebox, its fine as it is as you cant see it while sitting in the car, but im sure if I search around more I can find a better place for the wiring. at the moment it goes through the same route as the footwell lights but uses the red and white wire in the A post (lower down from the plug).
the boot is real simple :)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for that I'm in no rush when ever you get things sorted. :D
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

littlefeller wrote:will do, first I may try these tilt switches, it is a good idea. but I need to find one that wont keep switching while going over bumps. the magnetic switch may end up coming in first place unless I can find an easyer way of getting the tiny switch I used around the back of the stop, it was a bit fiddly. I also need to explore more wire routing for the glovebox, its fine as it is as you cant see it while sitting in the car, but im sure if I search around more I can find a better place for the wiring. at the moment it goes through the same route as the footwell lights but uses the red and white wire in the A post (lower down from the plug).
the boot is real simple :)
You wouldn't have any issues with it coming on over bumps mate, if you mount the mercury tilt switch vertically, it can only make the circuit when it tilts to horizontal. They are very small and discreet too, so you should be able to stick it into position in a discreet appropriate place on the glove box using just duck tape. No need to damage the glove box during installation then either... Just a thought.. Hope this helps. :)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

the tiny switches have now arrived, I will be updating my glove box with these this weekend and updating this thread. 8-)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

im quite chuffed with these tiny reed switches. they are about the same thickness as the wires, so once wrapped in heat shrink sheaving there a neat little mod.
will upload some pics later, there still on my camera.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

here is the switch, the round thing next to it is a 5p coin to give some idea of scale

switch attached to the strip
switching by magnet
light in place
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

should get the chance to complete this hopefully this weekend. :)
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

We had a 328i rag top in at work the other week which had some led lights in the bottom of the doors (wired into courtesy lights) which throw a pattern of the BMW logo on the ground as a "puddle" light. General agreement was they are COOL! Available on eBay and probably other sites.Having some for my Z and the family tractor (VW Touareg)
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

ummm seems I forgot to update this thread, will do so at the weekend, all finished and works well 8-) though to be honest its only any good if its dark and I need to go into the glovebox, which is very rare as I don't use it. but others may find this usefull :lol: I think maybe an led in/next to the mirror in the passenger sun visor would be more usefull for doing her make-up, maybe I should do this to try and get her to ride in the z :)