z3 lag! Please help!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
stancedout

Z3 roadster 1.9

z3 lag! Please help!

Post by stancedout »

I have a 1.9 automatic z3.
It wont rev more than 3500.
I can rev it out as much as i want while its in park.
But when im driving it wont rev more than 3500/4000. Struggles to go uphill
I got it scanned and it came up with camshaft position sensor needing replacing.
I replaced it.... and it didnt change anything
So i need to get the code reset?
Or should replacing the sensor automatically fix the car?

Otherwise could it be something else? Maybe my exhaust?
Sounds HORRIBLE!!! SO TINNEY
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z3 lag! Please help!

Post by Del »

An error code for a camshaft position sensor is a very specific one, regardless of the code reader you are using - so I wouldn't think it was another sensor playing up. Replacing with a good quality one (not the ebay £20 jobs) should sort out the problem. If a car has been mis-firing for some time it can damage the catalytic converter – which is getting old on Z3s in any event. If the catalytic converter has broken up (you suggest the exhaust sounds tinny), pieces of the internals can block the exhaust and cause a serious lack of power – particularly under load. If you give the cat a good nudge/shake it will rattle like ball-bearings in a tin, if it has broken up.
z3bedee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3bedee »

Sorry I don't know how to post a link but go into youtube. search on " BMW auto complaint " and listen to the phone call that this guy made to a BMW dealer about his automatic BMW.
It sounds like he has a very similar problem to yours. :) :) :)
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Could be MAF ( mass air flow ) sensor might need cleaning???? .....IMPORTANT use only Air flow sensor cleaner and don't touch anything inside it!!!!!! let it air dry before refitting.......worth a try and don't take long. good luck
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

If you put where you live in your profile or posts, then you may find a local member willing to pop round and help.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Has the exhaust note changed since this problem manifested itself or has it always sounded like that? The four pots certainly sound different to the sixes.
What does it do when it "struggles"?
Does it mis-fire or is it just flat?
If the car runs out of puff it could be the MAF, or possibly fuel starvation because of a blocked filter or faulty pump which may not show up when there is no load.
If it mis-fires it could still be any of the above or perhaps an ignition problem. Take a look at the spark plugs.
Who read the codes and what did they use to do it? If it was a generic reader there may be some more BMW specific codes stored which may give a clue as to the problem.
Without seeing the car it is difficult to speculate but not resetting the cam sensor code shouldn't hold it back if it was the cam sensor at fault. My guess is that if you get the code reset it will just recur until you fix the source of the problem rather than a symptom of it. I know I've just been there with my own 2 litre!
Whereabouts in the country are you?
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

I wonder if in fact your problem is with the auto transmission? It could be that your box is not changing down at the right time which could explain why the car struggles uphill and the rpm peakes at 3500. Do you know if it is changing down and can you make it happen when you need to? Just a thought.

Regards.