zeds dead baby

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fuzion

Z3 roadster 1.9

zeds dead baby

Post by fuzion »

The zed is now a second car for a few months and every so often when I go to give her some love and attention the battery is flat.

She had a new battery installed about a year ago and all seemed fine. Then when she wouldn't start I put it down to sitting for long periods of time. Began to happen more regularly so battery was checked and alternator was changed. Problem remained so new battery installed (RAC warranty) and no leakage could be found however it is still happening.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,
D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: zeds dead baby

Post by Southernboy »

.......Disconnect the battery when not in use...or get a trickle charger??
You could also put your mobile in the boot so it can video if the boot light is extinguishing when the boot is closed...if not...you have found a possible source... Also, some headunits if not wired into the ignition switch circuit will drain power constantly...:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Southernboy wrote:.......Disconnect the battery when not in use...or get a trickle charger??
............. Also, some headunits if not wired into the ignition switch circuit will drain power constantly...:wink:
Alarm system is also a constant drain. There was a thread a few months ago where the . typical `idle' drain figure for the Zed was quoted - can't find it at the moment,but I think it was under a battery rating question.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

also the seat motor can cause a drain if its not disengaged fully after use...worth giving it a little wiggle just to make sure
the badness makes me do it...!

Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Anything plugged into the lighter socket. It stays live on them. Does not switch off with ignition like some cars.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Jonco wrote:Alarm system is also a constant drain.
I had the same problem. Change two batteries and one alternator.......it was the alarm system....... :head:
fuzion

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by fuzion »

thanks folks - ill keep you updated if I can figure out the cause
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

My 330 draws 1A if the doors are NOT locked. With the doors locked, the current drops to 0.03A.

The ways to test is to disconnect the earth lead and use an ammeter in series. Use long leads so you can shut the boot. Test with with doors locked, doors unlocked, alarm set, alarm unset.

If you don't have the skills to do this, get an auto electrician to do the checks.

If the voltage is circa 12v with the engine off and circa 14.5v with engine running, the alternator is usually OK.
Pingu
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Jonco wrote:......... There was a thread a few months ago where the . typical `idle' drain figure for the Zed was quoted ..................
Mike Fishwick's comment in this thread may be of interest http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... idle+drain
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

If you are looking for a charger, keep your eye on Lidl. From time to time they sell one that appears to be a repackaged C-tech one I have found it is very good and only £15. Bargain.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

pingu wrote:My 330 draws 1A if the doors are NOT locked. With the doors locked, the current drops to 0.03A.
That's interesting to know, I've never ever locked my car while its in the garage. I did have a battery problem some years ago (a new one "died" after 1 year) so I've used a trickle charger ever since when the car isn't used for a few days
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

how long does it take to go flat?
what is the ah capacity of the battery :?:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

For wider family experiences I have witnessed for BMWs, when the alarm system is fully activated and the car not used, the battery goes completely flat after 3 to 4 weeks. :(