dehumidifier

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

dehumidifier

Post by littlefeller »

would anyone happen to know if an air dehumidifier would damage my leather trim?
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: dehumidifier

Post by lordhelpus »

The biggest killers of leather are:
1. Mould & moisture.
2. Direct sunlight & intense heat.

Anything you can do to keep moisture & mould off your leather will help.
You can keep it supple and stop it drying out by protecting it with a leather balm.
Don't use an Oil

Use a leather balm on a regular basis say 3 or 4 times a year because they are WAXY and it helps protect the leather by locking in the natural oils the leather contains, keeping it supple and also because it's waxy it helps to repel moisture and keep mould at bay........Sorry,, in answer to your original question. A dehumidifier is fine. Silica packs are a good idea or a dish of salt if you want "el cheapo".......If you decide to use leather balm make sure you clean the leather first, then dry it off, then use the leather balm.
Otherwise you will lock in the dirt and grime. "My choice the Autoglym leather cleaner and leather balm kit"

TOP TIP: Use a fingernail brush or an old toothbrush to clean where the leather panels are stitched. :thumb:
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

drying out is what I was worried about, I do treat the leather (I have a balming kit which comes with new mercs, nice and free) . I need a dehumidifier for my conservatory, but the idea I could put it in my car ( say once a month) was kinda the idea. sometimes I do get a damp/ musky smell, it isn't strong but its there. personally it doesn't bother me, but the mrs moaned about it (even though she has only been it it about 5 times this year, says it ruins her hair, so the top stays up on these occasions, then you can smell it). also I do notice sometimes that the air in the car (roof up) does feel warm/damp (you know that feeling when you breath in damp air) could this be coming from the hood maybe as the car feels dry inside?
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I would have though a dehumidifier is an excellent idea. After all my Zed has air con fitted which ultimately dehumidifies the air inside the car which is why it doesn't mist up.
Just keep the leather fed as already mentioned. I use Gliptone. Great stuff and it makes your seats smell like new leather (and your trousers too for a week or so!).
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

littlefeller wrote:................ sometimes I do get a damp/ musky smell, it isn't strong but its there. .......... feels dry inside?
May be worth eliminating under carpets as source of smell . Recently had the seats out of mine (for seat bush replacement) and was astounded to find foam under carpet on driver's side was sopping wet even though upper carpet was bone dry. Still don't know how water got in there, but once in there is no drainage out. I found a rubber sealing bung underneath floor which I removed but it was covered by a mastic patch on the inside. Removed this and then had to squeeze foam to drain water out.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

littlefeller,

Reading your 2nd post is there the possibility of water getting into the inside of your vehicle somewhere????. it does seem rather odd that you have such a noticeable smell of damp in your car?
I would suggest you take a different approach, and try to find the "cause" of the damp smell and not treat the "symptom".
Jonco's post seems to be on the right lines........

sorry. :(
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yep, I know where it is coming in, and intend to fix it (if it will stop raining long enough). seemed ok today, no smell. :?
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

The problem with an electric dehumidifier is how do get power to it without potentially ruin the door rubbers?

I have had humidity problems in previous years. I had two
silica style damp collectors that didn't do much and have decided to run the car through the winter until I can move her back undercover or at the least move her where she can a bit of sun, something that's not possible at the moment.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The answer is to stop water leaking into the garage, and then just leave the car doors open, or the roof down.

It may take a bit of work to get the garage damp-proof, but it is worthwhile in terms of protecting any equipment stored in the garage - not to mention the other parts of your Z3 other than the interior.

Having said that, if your car interior is damp, or smells that way, perhaps you would be better advised to look for a water leak. My Z3 had to be parked outside in almost continuous heavy rain for six weeks last winter, with no use other than running the engine for half an hour every fortnight. Between the rain we had bright sunlight with low temperatures, yet the car never showed even the slightest condensation on the glass, and always smelt fresh inside.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I was thinking along the lines of a 12v peltier device powered by the cars electrical system for dehumidifying, however after fixing the leaks where the corner of the roof closes against the rubber the smell has gone along with the humidity :)
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

By jove I think i've done it!

Having purchased two of the Bell Moisture Mate trays from Halfords to find that they attracted not one drop of fluid I was still being plagued by damp.

Moving the car into the sun helped but the adition of one of these from Homebase seems to have done the trick...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... ber=569170