Let the Service History Archaeology commence!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Let the Service History Archaeology commence!

Post by janijoeli »

I bought my Z3M a couple months ago, and I've been happy with it. However, the car came with very little history.

I'd like to get as much history of the car as possible. Primarily just for my own peace of mind, but I'm sure if I ever end up selling the car, a detailed history would make the car more appealing to the future owner. I know it is possible to get dreamed-up service history books from teh interwebs for a few quid, but this is absolutely not what I am after. I want to know the REAL history of the car:

So far I've done an HPI check, DVLA check and online MOT history check (covers MOTs from 2005 onwards). I also have a few receipts from 2010 onwards. Given the aforementioned information, what the previous owner told me and by inspecting the car, I have some understanding about the history of the car, but I would like to fill in the gaps and get more actual written proof.

- Preferably all previous owners.
- When and where the car has been serviced, and what was done at each service.
- Details about accident repair work. The car has been cat-D twice and has been repaired well, but I would like to know exactly what happened and have written proof of the work conducted and parts replaced.
- Full MOT history, as the online history starts from 2005.
- More detailed mileage history. I have no reason to doubt the mileage, given car's known history, but would be nice to know nevertheless. This would probably be covered if I could get my hands on all MOT certificates?

The problem is, I don't really know from where to start. :? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Let the Service History Archaeology commence!

Post by Del »

Happy to be corrected but my understanding is that BMW dealer computer records are not good enough such that you can go into any UK dealer and obtain (typically) the first few BMW service details. Are there any stickers on the car (I had one inside the boot) giving any clues to the original dealer - who quite likely conducted the first few services and first MOT etc.

When buying via a dealer, I have (not for my Z3) also written to previous owners politely asking for information - I have not pestered them if no response was forthcoming.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It may be worth looking at where the car's original registration was registered - provided that it didn't have a personalised registration on it from day 1, an 'S' or 'T' plate car would have a regional numberplate on it (not like the current system whereby the plate denotes a much larger area only) - depending upon where it was registered, there may only be one or two BMW dealers in the area and you could feasibly contact them to see if they have any knowledge of the car. Although, to my knowledge, there is no centralised record of BMW servicing, individual dealers may well still have records for your car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

You can request previous owner history from the DVLA, a form V888 can be filled out and posted to the DVLA. I am unsure if you will need a V888 application per owner. With this information to hand you can then try an contact the previous owners for information.

HTH

Edit: looks like a £5 fee for the previous opener info, a form V888 can be found below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1/V888.pdf
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

BMW franchises can only see a cars service history from the same franchise..... However they can see a history of all warranty work. Since any warranty work would probably have been done in the first 3 years you can help identify it's probable first service histories ie ask a friendly local BMW dealership to print out your car's warranty history from the vin This will be very detailed and include mileage and dealership. As most warranty work is done at service time you can bet it had services at the same dealer / mileage. Contact that dealer for a service history. Can fill in a lot of the early history from this ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Excellent information there - thanks chaps! :thumb: I'll start with these, and see where it takes me.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Interesting comments above.

When I bought my E39 a few (9) years back from Cargiant who said the service book had been lost. I went to my local dealer (Vines of Redhill), who was able to give the the build spec printout and also a list of the dealers the car had visited. There were a number of different franchises as the car was original supplying dealer in Wolverhampton then it went to Leeds and then down south. Vines were happy to sell me a new service book that I could send around the dealers for them to stamp. The first two even offered to stamp and send it on to the next one. As it happens the service book returned up in the post 2 weeks later, so I didn't have to get a duplicate stamped up.

Best thing to do is go and ask a dealer for some history. My tip is the parts department when its quiet and also after you have bought something. They are usually amicable.

Best of luck.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Moi janijoeli,
1) Please PM me your VIN number, I will see if I can help with something regarding car history.
2) I noticed you are from Finland, let me know how to find you on Facebook if you want to join Finnish Z group on Facebook.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

When l buy an older interesting car l write to all the previous owners that l can trace (with a stamped addressed envelope for their reply) telling them l am a car enthusiast, that the car is now considered a classic, and if possible could they let me have any information regarding the car or it's history.
I include a current photo of the car.

Few owners return my letters, but maybe they moved house etc.
However from this l have had some success.

Ferrari Mondial t. Details and photos of partial restoration (from six years and two owners before me) Spare keys. Photos and details of suspension overhaul from last but one owner. Confirmation of cam belt change from last owner.

Porsche 928. Guy who owned it ten years before me, sent me photos...and also the rear roll up parcel shelf which he still had in his loft!

Z3. Last but one owner sent me photos and some history documents, old MOT's etc plus a story of how he drove in convoy to Le Mans.

Lotus Elise. Last but one owner sent me a nice letter telling me he'd cherished the car and "never driven it anywhere near it's limits"

So it is definitely worth a try! Although there's always the chance a previous owner will relate how he sideswiped a tree at 70mph in the car....
Plus you are telling them where the car is now of course, but l doubt that is much of an issue. Something to remember though.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I contacted the dvla passed over a few beer tokens got full details as to owned it mot dates and milages and any reported cat c or d,went back to for first reg date
peter2b