Leaking water in Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
T4L

Z3 roadster 2.0

Leaking water in Z3

Post by T4L »

Hey people I have a 2000 facelift Z3 and have notices theres a lot of water situated under the carpet (under the seats) and has been appearing in the battery tray also. My boyfriend has sorted the 3rd light out (by siliconing it) and the boot carpet seems to be dry... So we are really stuck for the minute. It has also just had a new roof so I would assume its not leaking from there. :cry:

Any help would be great.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Leaking water in Z3

Post by seasurfer »

Hi T4L, have you checked the drain chanels from the top of the windscreen corners? these can get blocked and force water elsewhere inside. Check in the 'How to' section on here, there is a thread with photos to help you check them. I used a large tyewrap to clear mine, strong enough to follow the chanel but flexible not to do any damage.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Sorry to be a bore, but can you link to that article ? (I canne find it)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
T4L

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by T4L »

Many thanks for your replies guys. To be honest it has really put me off the car because of this. I have recently had a new roof done by Jack Smith in Swansea, South Wales (highly recommended) but he siliconed the rubber area at the top of the windscreen sealing this hole up. I assume he knows what he's doing lol.

We had a heavy down pour today and saw it trickling from the middle and the front of the passenger window so I assume it is the area that everyone is talking about.

What else is seriously baffling me and my boyfriend is that there is water appearing in the battery tray (frequently) and there is no wet carpets in the boot. The 3rd brake light has been siliconed so it cant be that, so we are really stumped... All help as I said us much appreciate.

Thanks

Tal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Leaks into the boot tend to either get in via a perished aerial grommet or the third brake light seal.

Leaks via the roof (as mentioned above) are very commonly caused by the rubber bungs at the top of the windscreen pillar posts. Sometimes by the glass on the side windows not meeting the rubber roof seals correctly, or the bottom corners of the rear window becoming unstuck and becoming "untucked" from under the rubber surround strip - I wouldn't think this latter issue would be the problem on a new roof.
T4L

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by T4L »

Del wrote:Leaks into the boot tend to either get in via a perished aerial grommet or the third brake light seal.

Leaks via the roof (as mentioned above) are very commonly caused by the rubber bungs at the top of the windscreen pillar posts. Sometimes by the glass on the side windows not meeting the rubber roof seals correctly, or the bottom corners of the rear window becoming unstuck and becoming "untucked" from under the rubber surround strip - I wouldn't think this latter issue would be the problem on a new roof.

Many thanks del. As for the aerial grommet and the 3rd brake light they have been sorted but still getting a puddle in the battery tray... bit of a mystery if you ask me...
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Check for any signs of water in the offside rear light. My mates did this and it was due to the seal behind the light.
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

stupot50 wrote:Check for any signs of water in the offside rear light. My mates did this and it was due to the seal behind the light.
+1 for this, sometimes the gasket is either perished or just mis-aligned.