Marker lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Marker lights

Post by Alan W »

I think the lights at each corner of the front bumper are called 'marker' lights?

They are clearly not 'the' sidelights which are situated within the main headlamp unit.

Whilst the lenses for these on UK cars are clear I have seen American ones which are orange (same as the indicator side repeaters) but they seem a bit expensive to buy.

I am considering replacing the clear bulbs in mine with orange ones but not sure of the legality?

The car already has white sidelights so its not as if I am doing away with them, and it is legal to have orange side marker lights along the side of a vehicle in the UK?

In fact, unless I am misinformed, I understand that there are new BMW and Range Rover cars for sale in UK that have orange daytime running lights fitted as standard?

I'm not so bothered from a 'police' point of view.. more about whether the car would fail an MOT?

Any ideas?

Alan
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Marker lights

Post by Robert T »

My understanding is that the bumper lights were fitted to all Z3 models except the pre-facelift 1.9, and that they take the place of the integral sidelights, which are an additional low wattage (5W) bulb inside the headlight on the pre-facelift 1.9. I know we've had people ask about retrofitting the sidelight bulb to a replacement set of headlights before today - there is a marked cutout in top of the back piece of the headlamp where the sidelight would mount. Do you actually have a separate bulb on your car?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Ah thanks for this Robert, I thought the sidelight was in the headlight cluster and that the bumper light was a feature for the american market where they were orange lensed, and rather than make two seperate bumpers (one with and one without apertures) they just put a clear lens in the UK / European cars? I will look at the car the next time I uncover it.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Checked the Z when I got in from work and you are absolutely correct Rob... the side markers are the sidelights, nothing came on within the headlight cluster

Myth exposed
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

My 1998 2.8 had both sets of lights, but when buying new LHD lights I would that the light in the headlamp was no longer fitted - the headlamp height adjuster motors were not fitted either, so muct be a UK requirement.

Anyway - the VOSA website is quite clear - marker lights are not to show any other colour than white to the front, and red to the rear, which is common sense. An orange front light can look to much like a red lamp to some people, or in certain conditions. Any other colours will result in an MoT failure.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The aftermarket headlights with the projector and angel eye fitting have a socket for a small bulb at the bottom of the outer set of large lamps...They're a PITA and require constant replacement...I've opted to leave them unused. The bumper side lights are LED units now which provides a very bright white light vs the yellowish light from a standard incandescent bulb.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Angel eye (eBay imports) have the bright white hoops as side lights, then you can keep the side lights in the bumper (with the LEDs that Southern Boy is referring to) I think it looks great, but hard to see until it is dark!

Blimey..... I'd forgotten how stonechipped my bonnet was when I bought my car!

Headlights on

Not sure any of that helps!?!?!
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I note the little bulbs on the inner lights of your headlights have also fused....those are the ones I've given up with. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Need to replace NS bumper side light (Marker lights?) reflector as it looks like someone has tried to lever it out rather than sliding it forward and carefully lifting it out. This has resulted in moisture getting in and also looks naff. Sytner (Leics) tell me they are £24.59 +vat (£29.51) a side. Anyone know where else I could try? It's a common problem looking around, so would imagine most breakers donors might just be the same. While I'm at it, which LED's would I be looking for, sounds like a good little mod? Oh, yes it's a '97 2.8 roadster.
Thank you guys.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... eBay UK.... search under BMW side lights white.... these are £9.99 a set of 2, and they@re plug 'n play.
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Got em, thanks a lot SB...I'll grab a pair and try them out.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White