Wheel refurb to cure slow puncture?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Wheel refurb to cure slow puncture?

Post by Warrior »

I've had a very slow puncture on the nearside rear for some months. Took it the garage thinking it was a valve or worse and the lad told me that the leak was where the tyre sat on the rim and that the wheels needed refurbishing?

There were half a dozen small areas of decay on the 'spokes' but the rim itself looked fine. I wasn't inspired by the other notification that my tyre had maggots, which turned out to be a small slug, nor by the fact that the tyre had not been removed.

Your thoughts welcomed?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Wheel refurb to cure slow puncture?

Post by Gazza »

Go to another tyre fitter ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

My Subaru has a similar problem - if you put soapy water around where the tyre meets the rim, you can actually see bubbling where the air escapes. Might be worth a try to see what happens.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have the tyre removed from the rim and check for contaminants / rust / damage to the inner edge of the rim...if necessary use some fine steel wool to clean the rim to remove any possible uneveness in the surface...have the tyre refitted. It should be fine. If the rim is severely pitted by oxidation / rust, you will need it professionally restored.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

It is not uncommon for alloys, especially when they are getting on a bit, to leak around the rim. Tyre fitters should apply a liberal slop of sealer around the inside of the rim when fitting a tyre to older alloys and I have known of cases where they haven't and next thing you think you've got a slow puncture. Good advice there from Southernboy
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Same thing happened to my style 78's. They couldnt find a conventional puncture so I was advised by the tyre place that the rim must have corroded to the extent that there was a leak. I kept a small compressor in the car and lived with it for a while. Recently I had all four wheels refurbed and there is no loss in pressure, several weeks later.
ImageImageImage

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I had this problem with a car (with nice alloys) in the 1980s - the cure in those days was to fit inner-tubes - do they do that sort of thing today - not sure? :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Whiteminks had a similar problem on her ///M. Corrosion on the inside edge of the rim forced the tyre inwards so that it didn't make a proper seal. Don't think she's had a full refurb done yet, just had it cleaned off and presumably given a coat of protective paint/lacquer.

You can still buy innertubes, and indeed I run them on the Sprite with its wire wheels, but with modern radial tyres. I wouldn't be tempted to fit a tube to only one wheel though, as it likely upset the handling.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Gazza wrote:Go to another tyre fitter ;)
I did. They suggested slug pellets;)
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Are they BMW split rims ? I had a problem with mine. I had them split and re furbished, not had a problem since
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
mid life crisis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mid life crisis »

Have you thought about having a liquid sealant put in?
I had mine done by http://www.vipseal-uk.com
Might be worth a try,easier than having the wheel stripped