Hello and spare key

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Hello and spare key

Post by ICSD »

Hi folks

Always been a Beemer fan but just got my first Z3. I'm getting past the stick from my mates (curlers in boot/faint smell of hairspray etc) and really starting to enjoy the car. What a fantastic little sports car - loads of character, quick enough and generally a blast to drive.

I bought a wide bodied 2.2 in silver with blue roof and blue/black seats.

Anyway, nice to be hear and good to see a really active forum on my new little treasure!

Unfortunately, the car only came with one key and I wondered if anyone has a good way to get hold of a spare without spending £140 at the dealer?

Thanks for your help

Iain
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: Hello and spare key

Post by Thesurveyor »

I had exactly the same problem with my 98 when I bought it in July. I had one of these mobile services come round to cut another key and programme a blank chip for the immobiliser. Its quite a performance and involved desoldering the chip from the circuit board and all sorts. (From what my guy said it might be easier on your later car). Anyway it cost £100 which is what you want to know.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can buy something called a "grey service key" from the dealer that will open and start the car, but won't do the remote central locking/alarm for about £50. If you just want a spare key, then this is a relatively cheap way of getting a proper key. If your car has the later alarm (with the buttons on the key, rather than the separate housebrick remote - a 2.2 definitely will be the later alarm, but I mention it as someone with an earlier car may read this), then this key should disarm the alarm if you unlock the car with it. The alarm will go off if it is set, but putting the key in the ignition and turning to position II will reset it.

More info here, including what you need to provide to the dealer to buy one: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ey#p302244

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hiya, welcome to a great forum :D you will find lots of info on here if you need it :wave
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi and Welcome to the forum
The key to success is having a Zed :D
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hello! Best move you'll ever make. I don't know if its your everyday car but each time I get in mine and drop the roof I get a genuine buzz. I love my Zed and wished I bought one years ago. It only does 1500-2000 miles a year so I suppose the fact I don't use it that much keeps the feeling fresh.
It's only my first year and I'm sat here waiting patiently for spring/summer cruise dates and meets to appear on this wonderful forum. Enjoy your Zed, I'm more than sure you will!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I think I'll just get the service key then as that can then keep you going if you lose the main one.

Cheers

Iain