2.2 how quick?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

2.2 how quick?

Post by ICSD »

Hi chaps

I recently bought my first Z3 which is a 2.2 Sport and, having had other BMW straight sixes, I find it not as quick as I'd expected with the real pace only coming above 4000rpm. Is this pretty normal or could there be something wrong? I do find the engine revs very freely as expected, it doesn't feel at all retarded, just not as quick as expected at the bottom of the rev range.

Cheers

Iain
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: 2.2 how quick?

Post by Badman gee »

Mod Edit

Comment deleted - Gazza

The 'BEAST' 666
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

But where would he "BRING" it from?
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

A proper six as opposed to a pretend six?

Obviously not as quick as an M - I just wanted to establish if it was normal for a 2.2.

Cheers
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Being a naturally aspirated engine the power curve is pretty much linear right up to the redline, opposed to a turbo where it typically has quite a narrow power band at around 3-4k rpm. Fit a K&N/GruppeM ram air intake (with appropriate heat shielding) and/or a decent exhaust and it really does come on song at 6k rpm :D
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I do get a little tired of all the M owners harping on about how quick their cars are - perhaps they should try to follow the suggestion by Forum Admin, not to brag about their cars, and to remember that the car may be quick - but the owners usually are not! It does not take any ability to put one's foot down, but those who can really use whatever level of performance their cars have are the quick drivers! As Tim so aptly remarked:

And could M owners please desist from constantly bragging about performance--it's the car that's fast, not you.

Any posts not meeting this policy are liable to be edited or removed.
(See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1276)

I bet precious few of our M owners have ever used their fabled 321 bhp - which means full throttle in top gear on a level road at peak power rpm, and the car will not go any faster. Peak power rpm does NOT mean full power . . . anyway, few M engines ever get anywhere near their supposed 321 bhp on an honest rolling road, particularly after being hacked around town or along crowded motorways for a while, when 260 bhp is more like it.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Tue 10 Dec, 2013 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Just what I dislike about this site.

No sense of humour!

Mod Edit
Try using Smileys, they convey a sense of humour. Your previous comment has been deleted because it was 'Flaming'

The 'BEAST' 666
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

I don't have a problem with M owners talking about their cars, I love Beemers and especially M Cars. Don't dis my 2.2 though - it's got the same engine and it's still a lovely car :)

It is true about driving ability though. A few times I've been out with people in quick cars - Ferraris, Porsches etc and they get driven at a zillion miles per hour down every straight, over braked and poodled around every corner - what a waste!!

Anyway, back to the 2.2 - any other 2.2 owners out there that can comment on my query?

Cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It’s difficult to gauge some issues on a forum as something described as a lack of power can be a personal, subjective view influenced by other cars you might drive. I’ve only seen praise for the 2.2 on this forum.

In my experience lack of power is often caused by a fuel/air mixture which is slightly too lean. Sometimes the difference is slight enough to not trigger a warning light. I would first ensure your service items are in good order i.e. plugs & air filter and then check for any small splits in the rubber MAF sensor bellows. Again, in my experience of cars generally, the MAF sensor can be a tricky little devil that can slowly and inconsistency degrade over time and throw up symptoms that can suggest a range of other problems. :roll:

My 1.9 recently had a MOT emissions problem (which turned out to be a faulty Cat) but whilst chasing down the problem I put in some new Bosch platinum plugs and replaced the MAF with my £15 2nd hand spare. After going for a test drive the difference was quite noticeable and the car was pulling much more powerfully up twisty hills in 3rd and 4th gears. I then took the personal decision to change my 15-year old (single) lambda sensor (Bosch £65) as they can become a little “lazy” over time. During the MOT the technician remarked that my fuel/air ratios were as perfect as new car. :)

Not suggesting you start tearing out sensors and replacing needlessly, but just giving a few pointers for further checking/investigation. If you are not getting any error codes, the exhaust gas testing equipment in many garages today is so sensitive/sophisticated it can pick up subtle combustion issues. :lol:
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I find you have to use the gears to get the performance you're maybe looking for. My 2.2 gets to the red line very quickly. :D
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

Ragtop wrote:I find you have to use the gears to get the performance you're maybe looking for. My 2.2 gets to the red line very quickly. :D
Thanks Ragtop

That's really what I wanted to know - sounds like it's typical of the 2.2 then. No problem, just enjoys a good ragging I guess. It does sound nice at the top of the rev range so no hardship.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Our 2.2 is pretty quick, but having driven other 170 bhp cars, it does feel like something is lacking slightly.

It's in bed for the winter now, but next summer I'll be going over it to see if there's a problem.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

For me the car is all about the look; and for cruising with back ground noise of the straight six and exhaust..........perfection 8-)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Ragtop wrote:I find you have to use the gears to get the performance you're maybe looking for. My 2.2 gets to the red line very quickly. :D
I think that's exactly the case. My day-to-day car is a 2.2 litre diesel X-Type which never needs to rev beyond about 2,500 rpm and is a four cylinder engine anyway. My 'something for the weekend' track-day car is also four cylinder and I red-line it at 6,000 rpm partly to respect the age of the engine (2.0 litre Ford 'Pinto' from a 1980s Granada but with fast road cam, twin Dellortos, and Maxflow head), and partly because it's over the 'knee' of torque by then anyway. The upshot is that I am unfamiliar with the sound of a six cylinder engine on a a daily basis and the 2.2 Z3 sounds as if it's screaming at 6,000 rpm - like a four cylinder engine at 9,000 rpm. I have to keep reminding myself to let it rev! After a while I'm on the limiter if I'm not careful... :o

I love mine and prefer it to my son's Z4M Coupé on the road as it is so easy to drive whereas the ///M has to be driven with a gentle touch at all times. Track days are an entirely different matter... :twisted:
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

I have found that over the last three years of owning the 2.2, I am now finding that
more power is required to fulfill my wants. How quick one gets used to the power available
and craves more.
I think chipping the beast is a logical step and see if we can achieve somewhere close to 200hp.
May have to swap out the air filter and exhaust to achieve this, we will see.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

Vic-Z3 wrote:I have found that over the last three years of owning the 2.2, I am now finding that
more power is required to fulfill my wants. How quick one gets used to the power available
and craves more.
I think chipping the beast is a logical step and see if we can achieve somewhere close to 200hp.
Let us know how you get on - could be very interesting!
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Vic-Z3 wrote:I have found that over the last three years of owning the 2.2, I am now finding that
and craves more.
just get a 3.0i mate :D I have done my filter and quad free-flow pipes on the back ...... 241 standard : more with toys on :shock:
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

I agree that the 2.2 needs to be let to rev if you want to go quick, but it is so smooth and sounds so nice that it is no hardship to do so, I find I have to be careful not to hit the limiter. It is also a joy to drive "normally." It is clearly totally different to the 2.0 turbo diesel that I drive day to day.
I absolutely enjoy driving it and miss it now it is away til the salt is gone from the roads.

Make sure it is serviced well with new plugs filters oil etc and you should have many miles of smiles.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
jenmark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jenmark »

If you want to go fast buy a GSXR1000, 180BHP, 180KG, job done.
ICSD

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ICSD »

Very true but the roof leaks quite badly
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Better still, a S1000rr or a ZX10!
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

Hi, I feel the same about mine, after my e36 320 coupe I expected the zed to be a bit peppier with 20 bhp and 100kg difference but some how it doesn't. I know that that performance can be dependant on lots of different factors but my e36 had 100k miles and the zed still only has 58k after owning it for nearly 3 years and 23k miles. Still good fun though with the roof down :D
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

TWO wrote:For me the car is all about the look; and for cruising with back ground noise of the straight six and exhaust..........perfection 8-)
Agreed Two and that's most of my driving, but let it rev and it goes fine :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

jenmark wrote:If you want to go fast buy a GSXR1000, 180BHP, 180KG, job done.
Rafolian wrote:Better still, a S1000rr or a ZX10!
I don't fancy being remembered with a bunch of flowers tie-wrapped to a lamppost though.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Obviously not for you then, been riding fast bikes for over 40 years and thankfully no one has bought flowers for me!