Gearbox/transmission mount

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Gearbox/transmission mount

Post by michiganstar »

Hi All,

Has anyone replaced their transmission/gearbox mounts? I was looking at these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E34-E36-E ... 2ecc64e7af
I was wondering what sort of cost I would be looking at to get them fitted as i have read some guides and they look a right pain to fit.
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Gearbox/transmission mount

Post by pingu »

Does it need doing, or is it an upgrade?

Are you going to strengthen the area around the mounting as well?

As far as doing the job, you need to unbolt the propshaft and lower the rear of the gearbox (by raising the front of the engine). When you do this, be careful as you may need to remove the fan and its cowling.

I would advise against attempting the job unless you have read the TIS, as the job is not as straight forward as "refit is the reverse of removal". For example, the propshaft should be pre-loaded, and as I said earlier, you may need to remove the fan and support the engine/gearbox assy to stop it pivoting too much.

It seems like a lot of work for so little gain, though. It would be around #99 on a list of my 100 top modifications.
Pingu
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

This would be a really easy job if te propshaft wasn't in the way! The gearbox support bracket which sits below the gearbox is held on by 4 bolts on the underside of the body, with the two mounts sat on top with the gearbox sat on those. It's accessing the top bolts for each mount that is difficult (but probably not impossible) with the prop in place.

I would definitely NOT recommend those red mounts, you will see a massive increase in drivetrain noise and vibration (hence track/race designation). I replaced all my mounts a few months ago with OEM mounts and the car drives much tighter. I noticed my engine was sitting low on one side, and when I finally managed to remove the driver's side mount, the engine mount had sunk and torn so I replace both engine mounts (passenger side is really easy to do), then did the gearbox mounts too (as I was changing the prop giubo joint as that was starting to break up).

Tbh the gearbox mounts weren't that bad on my car but I changed them anyway as I was in there and they are cheap, but what makes you want to change yours?
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

I have a bit of drive line shunt which I would like to reduce - to be fair I have been told its normal but I would like to lessen it. The flex disc looks OK so I was just thinking of other options. Looks like this one is a pain to do so will leave it. Anyone reduced drive line shunt with other bushes? Could the subframe bushes be to blame? I bet that is an expensive replacement if it is.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Drivetrain shunt, especially 1st to 2nd gear is normal and reduced most by careful clutch and throttle control I'd say. Even with my propshaft rubber joint breaking up (almost split everywhere) there isn't much difference with a brand new one!

For me the drivetrain just feels a bit tighter with the new engine and gearbox mounts, but the engine mounts on mine were well past their best (and one was almost split in two).
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

I wouldn't do it if it's only to try to reduce the normal shunt. A change of differential fluid sometimes helps a little.